How NOT to make stock!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Here is a classic example of not using your head. I cut up some chickens today, and decided to make stock. Piled the carcasses in a pot, covered with water, brought to a bare simmer, and skimmed until it was clear.

Then I tried to add the vegetables. Does anyone see a disaster waiting to happen here? Oh Yeah! :bonk:

Just didn't want to get the stool to get the bigger pot off the top shelf. Ended up having to get it down anyhow..............

Not good.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 155

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
SS, I do like it when people post their mistakes and disappointments as well as their successes - it helps us all learn!

That pot does look beautiful, nonetheless.

So when you use carcasses, our are making "stock". When you use raw meat you are making "broth". Right?

Lee

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
It does look beautiful. Did you manage to get it into the bigger pot without spilling any or burning yourself?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Karen, it boiled over and made a huge mess. I didn't take any pics of that.

After cleaning up the mess, I got on the stool and got down the bigger pot.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
So when you use carcasses, our are making "stock". When you use raw meat you are making "broth". Right?

Lee

I believe that's the common understanding of the two terms, although I've seen it debated on forums ad naseum. Like most of us, I tend to use the two terms interchangeably.

Leaving quietly and turning in my toque.......

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I've so done that!! Makes you want to smash things, but once you get it all in the bigger pot, clean the little one, then sit down and have a shot, it's all better! :yum:

Stock versus Broth is so open.

The most common that I subscribe to is if bone is involved, then it is stock, if it is meat only, then it is broth.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I believe that's the common understanding of the two terms, although I've seen it debated on forums ad naseum. Like most of us, I tend to use the two terms interchangeably.

Leaving quietly and turning in my toque.......

Help!!!!!!!!!!! Confused person here. Are carcases not raw meat? I buy Whole chickens and cut them up. I save the backs, necks, wings and giblets. I do about what SS did. I guess that I am making stock. Mine usually ends up chicken soup. What do you use for raw meat to make broth and how is it different?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
It's a very fine line that people seem to love to debate.

If you follow the logic of it, when you poach a chicken breast, the liquid left behind in the pan is broth.
When you throw in the carcasses and simmer a long time, it's stock.
Either one can have veggies added.

Stock is usually much richer, from the bones and the long low cooking.
Broths are usually lighter from short cooking times.

Stocks are usually used in making more elaborate dishes or sauces.
Broths are often seasoned up and filled with additions to eat as soup.

That is NOT to say that they aren't used interchangeably all over the planet. The real interesting question then is: what's the difference between vegetable broth and vegetable stock and vegetable soup?

But, do you get the big pot down when you make stock?

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
In a way, I am lucky there. If you get over about 2 quarts, I only have big pots. Someone above looks after me like that. Given my free choice, I would be doing what happened to you and doomed to repeat it.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Silver Sage said:
Karen, it boiled over and made a huge mess. I didn't take any pics of that.

You know, it would be kind of fun to take pictures of our big messes, like the one I made a few weeks ago when I spilled a bag of sesame seeds and then broke a bottle of balsamic vinegar on top of it. All over the counter and the floor. Might have made me feel better to take a picture. I'm sure it won't be long until I do something like that again. I'll try to remember to take a picture - it would make an interesting thread.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
I usually make large batches of stock at a time, then freeze it in cup, 2cup and 2 quart portions. Then I always have plenty on hand for soups, gravies, and sauces :) Lots of big pots here.

Attachments

• P1010707.jpg
    P1010707.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 108
  • P1010719.jpg
    P1010719.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 108
  • P1010734.jpg
    P1010734.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 104
  • P1010739.jpg
    P1010739.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 109

abi_csi

Well at least it wasn't your recipe that was a disaster. I just made a loaf of bread, out of the oven it came smelling terrific, got ready with the butter and took a bite.... Ugh! I had added 2 tablespoon rather than teaspoon of salt - not pleasant!

Deelady

Awww SS ....sorry but I LOL'd on that one! I think we've all been there! Looks mighty tasty though, at least you didn't have to throw out all your hard work!

Very very tasty looking Unconundrum!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Awwwww, abi - what a disappointment!

Is it useable at all for anything, or do you have to toss it?

Lee

abi_csi

Well I've just been informed by Mother that salt risen bread (a German delicacy) is very salty bread and delicious served with some pickles or pickled cabbage, sausage and a German beer - so I might go and get those ingredients and try it out this evening. Maybe the other flavours counteract the salt - I hope!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well I've just been informed by Mother that salt risen bread (a German delicacy) is very salty bread and delicious served with some pickles or pickled cabbage, sausage and a German beer - so I might go and get those ingredients and try it out this evening. Maybe the other flavours counteract the salt - I hope!

That dinner sounds like an excellent one to me!

When life gives you lemons ......

Good for you!

Lee

High Cheese

Saucier
Does anyone see a disaster waiting to happen here?

Yes. No color on the veg. :D

I always use one of my larger pots for stock since I never really know how it's going to go. Unless I know it's a base for a specific sauce.

My two largest pots are just stainless steel and very thin so I need to brown the stock ingredients either in the oven or in another pan then transfer to the larger pot and add water. You loose alot of fond that way. I really need a 10+qt thick bottom stock pot.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
h.chize:

I was Xmas'd a large stainless stock pot ala brand Martha Stewart. not really a Martha fan....but

anyway it has a thick aluminum disk on the bottom. does a decent job of browning on a gas burner (dunno about 'lectric - haven't tried that as we have gas...)

I have / have had a number of "disk" bottoms pots/pans where the disk has visible separated from the pot. not especially high quality stuff - regardless of the "name" - some biggies names included in the "long line of failed pots"

but the Martha pot soldiers on - something like close to ten years now.... probably made in China, who know if one could even get "the same pot" anymore.

High Cheese

Saucier
I had a Martha 12" saute pan w/copper bottom. Was a nice pan but I got basically the same Xmas gift one year so I gave it to my Mom. That was like 8 years ago and she still uses it. Good pans, made in China.

I'd love an All Clad, which isn't out of the question yet, just looking to see what else is out there. I tried browning in the ones I have now but it just doesn't work properly. I have an aluminum no-name pot but it's just too small, great for browning.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I have a 20 quart Tramontina that I got at Costco a few years ago. Like Jeeks, I'm a real fan of All-Clad or my copper, but for the money, this pot is great. I'd buy it again.

As a matter of fact, if I had gotten it down, the 10 quart one wouldn't have overflowed!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
HC, just for you, I got it back down off the top shelf. The bottom measures between 3/8 & 7/16 inches. What's that, 13/32? It's very thick, and I've never had a problem with it. I've had it about 5 or 6 years, and there's still no distortion.

ATK rates the Tramontina as the best buy, and you know how much they love All-Clad. I think I only paid about $50 for it at Costco. That's a lot less than the $300+ for the AC.

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 65

Leni

That stock pot looks wonderful. I wish I have a strainer like that also. I have Revere Ware one that has a very thick bottom but I rarely use it. It is a major effort to get to it.