cook or be cooked 4

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
would yins prefer 2 be the person making food, or the person recieving the food.......
i way prefer cooking food myself.
though i luv dining elsewhere/another person cleaning, too.
prefer my own cooking, though-

Leni

I prefer to cook it myself. Daughter cleans up, sort of. I finish up later. I do enjoy going out on occasion.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I vote with the majority - I prefer to cook it myself. If it's something really special, that I won't or can't make for myself, I'll go out for dinner.

buckytom

Grill Master
i think food was talking about the cookbook "to serve man". lol.

i'm 50/50 on the cooking thing. about half of the time, i like to cook, and i'm pretty good at cleaning up as i go so that's not much of an issue.

the other half of the time, i like to eat out or get take out from a restaurant, so i guess that's the same as being cooked for. also, little or no clean up.

i just realized it's thursday already and we've cooked at home every night since last friday! must be a record.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
i think food was talking about the cookbook "to serve man". lol.

i'm 50/50 on the cooking thing. about half of the time, i like to cook, and i'm pretty good at cleaning up as i go so that's not much of an issue.

the other half of the time, i like to eat out or get take out from a restaurant, so i guess that's the same as being cooked for. also, little or no clean up.

i just realized it's thursday already and we've cooked at home every night since last friday! must be a record.

To Serve Man was also a great Twilight Zone Episode.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I like to do my own cooking. Sometimes I like to go out or go to DD's house when she cooks but for the most part, I prefer to do my own cooking.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I prefer to do the cooking. When at friends or family, I cringe when they over-smoke, over-grill, and otherwise burn food. It don’t have to be dry!

I also run fast from undercooked poultry.

And fried chicken, don’t get me started! Burning it and making the crust black in spots or on whole is just nasty. Let me cook it already!

I’d just as soon do the cooking so I don’t have to be faced with the inevitable feelings hurting probe. Inevitably, someone will ask, “How was it and what did you think”. Don’t ask me that. Please. I’ll say it was good the first time, but if you press, I’ll let you know you burned the crust, undercooked the chicken, and over-smoked the brisket. THEN, it is on YOU to learn from what I said, but so few want to do that because THEY know better and are sure they are right because no-one else has ever had the balls to tell them that they messed it up. Most people just try to be polite and smile and nod their heads. The unfortunate cook in that case THINKS that means it was good…..no…..it means they were too self-conscious and polite to tell you it sucked.

I’d much prefer an honest “Hey, this was dry or bland” than the typical nod of “Yeah great”. Every time I cook for my friends or my wife, I ask honestly….and I’ll even lead them in and say things like too much salt, or a bit dry, and see what they say. I’m no fool, and I’m my harshest critic, but even as my worst critic, there is no way I can ever know what will tickle everyone’s fancy. I’ll NEVER get better unless I get REAL feedback from others.

So yeah, I’d rather cook if I can. It gives me the chance to poll the crowd and see what they liked and didn’t like and how I can be better.

Now, if I was in the company of you guys! Woo!! I’d love to eat at Mama’s!!! But I’m afraid I’d pass out into a very long nap before I could compliment her on her cooking!!! :clap:

mhend

I prefer to do the cooking. I can control the mess that way. :)

Dinner out is okay from time to time as long as the crowds are not too big and the wait isn't too long. I have a certain window of time in which to feed my kids or they get really cranky!

DH will cook dinner sometimes and that's nice too...but the mess is unbelievable. LOL!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Awww, Keltin...coming from you that is a MAJOR compliment...THANK YOU! :biggrin:

buckytom

Grill Master
lol, you betcha mama.

i'd be terrified to be cooking for keltin. you know if it sucked you'd see veins popping out of his head and neck when he politely tells you it was good. :wink:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I like to cook for people and share it.
I love to see people EATING period. lol

My little old neighbour lady Agnes knows that, as she gets a free meal from me whenever I make something that's going to be over 2 servings as a meal.

Both my ex and late husband were great cooks, but I always insisted on doing it myself because that's the way I was brought up.

I like to be in control of the kitchen, however.. if you liked what you ate, you're damn sure going to be part of the clean up team as well.

abi_csi

I love cooking, it de-stresses me. I love mixing flavours and producing new ideas, I'm not the best cook, but I love food, and I'm learning so one day I may be a masterchef like some of you guys on here!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
i'd be terrified to be cooking for keltin. you know if it sucked you'd see veins popping out of his head and neck when he politely tells you it was good. :wink:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!

Literally, I'm STILL laughing out loud and it's been 5 minutes since I read this! LOLOLOL!

Lee