My Classes

Phiddlechik

Musical Menus: Aaron Copland/American Cuisine
First class met tonight, had two sections of 20 adult students in each class. We listened to Fanfare for the Common Man, while I demo'ed common fan fare. Made the Cincinnati Coney Dogs, and an easy dump and stir cheese/mustard dip for pretzels.
We also listened to ELP's and Woody Herman's take on the piece, watched part of The Red Pony (while listening to the soundtrack), and a bit of Appalachian Spring. The focus was on Fanfare tonight. Also discussed elements of music, some things to listen for, some biographical information, notes regarding the premiere of Fanfare and read an article that Copland wrote for the New York Times in 1940, concerning movie music.
It was a blast. Folks loved the food and the music.
Next week's class: Rodeo/Chuckwagon, featuring beans and biscuits whoth apple butter. I worked on the sourdough this weekend, made biscuits today. pics on the blog. Worked a bit on that, too, changed some color, added a few gadgets.
I'll bring my guitar and perform some of the cowboy songs Copland used throughout the suite. I'll probably bring the fiddle, too, and do some hoedowns... natch.:wink:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
You put so much love and talent into this effort, PC - your students are very fortunate. You have created such a great learning environment. Thanks for sharing it with us.
:a1::a1::a1:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It does indeed sound like fun. The dump and stir cheese mustard dip for pretzels sounds interesting. Have you, or will you share that here? Heck the Cinci coney dogs sound good to, why not share those here also if you don't mind and have the time. :D :thumb:

I'm new to all this so if that would be like giving your class away please ignore my request and accept my apologies for asking.

Phiddlechik

Thanks! I am doing this through our local OLLI program. It's a program of classes for those folks over 50. It's at the community college.
I've put stuff on the blog... one can click on that in my signature.
The dump and stir is embarrassingly easy: mayo, cheese sauce (comes in a jar, bright orange), squirt of some good mustard.
It's a very popular class, fills up quickly. I did a 4 session class last year, Beethoven Soup. I featured a different composition and soup with Austrian ties at each session.
I'd like to expand it, maybe offer it as a "culinary humanities" class for credit eventually. or go the private/personal chef route and do it for dinner parties, kind of a cook and learn sort of thing. I'd like to then hook up with some B&B's in the area, offering themed weekends or seminars. I'm also considering doing an online course.
But, in the meantime, it's just a couple of classes (next month is Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Sweets), and my blog (no ads).

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL! Way to go, PC!!!

Sounds like a ton of fun!

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds very interesting Phiddlechik! Good for you. And you like Live! :D :thumb:

Good luck with expanding to B&B's and the themed weekends. Sounds like a fantastic idea!!!! :thumb:

Phiddlechik

Tonight's class: Aaron Copland's "Rodeo," featuring Ranch Beans, Sourdough Biscuits, and Apple Butter.
I'm still experimenting with the biscuits, got a biscuit cutter the other day. I didn't like the way the glass pinched the edges instead of cutting them. Fed the sourdough last night, left it out on the counter, it's bubbling nicely. I have enough for several batches. I'll bake those at home, then take to the class. I'll do the beans there. (just a dump and stir, with a few extras added, hope to have it on my blog tomorrow)
Along with the lecture and cooking demo, I'll also play and sing some of the folk tunes/songs that are used in the piece: Bonaparte's Retreat, Good Bye Old Paint, I Ride an Old Paint, and a couple of others.
I also need to get together an email group of my students so that I can send out e-notes, links, etc...
I better get after it!
ha!

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
Music themed dinners sounds like a great idea. I wish there was something like that around here.

I think the original western biscuit cutter was an empty can. My mother and grandmother both used them to cut biscuits.

Phiddlechik

Yep, but I didn't have a can the right diameter. I like the biscuit cutter that I got, I used a smaller one (they came in a set of nesting cutters), and the folks at the class are getting kind of a mini-meal. a tasting.
I picked up some roast beef in a sealed, deli container, so will dump that into a saucepan and heat it up with some kind of flavored beef broth, although not too flavored. I just had to get some beef in there somehow! Since I just demo, I try to get precooked, dump and heat food. It's an anatomy classroom with a sink. Nope, no posters of cadavers.
I just finished 4 batches of biscuits, came up with a recipe, will get it all up with lots of pics on my blog. later.

Phiddlechik

Lat night's class: Ranch Beans, sliced beef warmed in stock and onion, Buttery Sourdough Biscuits, Apple Butter
Here's a recipe for the Ranch Beans that I made last night. Easy, "everything is in the pantry" kind of dish one can throw together for camping, unexpected company, etc...
Ranch Beans
From Kathy’s Kitchen

3 cans great northern beans
2 cans pinto beans
1 can butter beans
1 can kidney beans
2 cups beef stock
6 oz. chili sauce
¼ cup molasses
¼ cup sugar
1 3 oz. pkg. real bacon bits
1 – 2 T. dried onion (to taste)
1-2 T. mustard (to taste)
1 – 2 t. smoked paprika (more or less, depending on taste)
1 bay leaf

Drain and rinse the beans. Mix together, heat. Good for a slow cooker.

and here's a youtube of a bit of Rodeo...
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9uzwiKNhCk[/ame]

Phiddlechik

3rd class of the series was Billy the Kid, featuring corn chowder with New Mexican green chilies, and a chipotle cheesecake with mango/jalapeno jam (all home made). I also played and sang several of the cowboy songs featured in the music.
Last night's class finished the series, Appalachian Spring with chicken noodle soup (used Amish noodles), shoo fly pie, and Shaker lemon pie.
It was a great success, folks loved the class. During the first session, a hungry college student wandered by, poked his head in the door. I asked if he wanted some soup, so served him up!
Next week I start Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Sweets. So am thinking of sugar plums, a chocolate nut torte, mocha mix, biscotti, and maybe something from the Russian Tea Room Christmas menu to replicate. Of course, I'll pass out the recipe for the drink, Nutcracker. Too bad we can't serve it!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Wish I could have joined you and your students, PC. Sounds like good fun, and an opportunity to learn, as well.