Kitchen Rituals

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
When I get in the kitchen to cook, I have to have things a certain way before I can begin. DH thinks I'm weird but NOTHING can be in the sink...not a drinking glass, coffee cup or even a spoon. Everything has to be clean and put away, including anything in the dishwasher. I also have to have some hot, soapy water in the sink and all of the counters have to be wiped down. Then and only then can I cook.

I was wondering if anyone else has any kitchen rituals or am I the only strange one :blush:?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
My first ritual is to yell at the dogs - " GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN"!

Usually, Chico listens and Squirt doesn't.

buckytom

Grill Master
that's funny. unless i'm doing the dishes as mama suggests, dw yells the same thing at me.

then i chew my butt, and go lay down after walking in circles on the bed.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
that's funny. unless i'm doing the dishes as mama suggests, dw yells the same thing at me.

:yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: I almost wet my pants. :lol:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Much like you Mama, I always have everything in place first, including the sink of hot soapy water, because I like to clean and wipe as I go.
Can't stand a kitchen that is full of disorder unless, of course it's a holiday gathering, or some other celebration.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I’m with you Mama, I have GOT to have a clean sink and counter before I start. Then I clean as I go as time allows. I also like a little mise en place, especially my spices to be laid out.

I tried chewing my butt once, but threw out my back instead and had to order pizza! :yum:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I’m with you Mama, I have GOT to have a clean sink and counter before I start. Then I clean as I go as time allows. I also like a little mise en place, especially my spices to be laid out.

I tried chewing my butt once, but threw out my back instead and had to order pizza! :yum:

:yum: :yum: Next time DH says I'm weird, I'll just say, "Well, at least I don't chew my butt". I can't wait to see the look on his face. :huh:....:yum:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
:yum: :yum: Next time DH says I'm weird, I'll just say, "Well, at least I don't chew my butt". I can't wait to see the look on his face. :huh:....:yum:

Be careful! That's liable to excite him and illicit a response of "Crap, can you really do that????????" Hmmm....monetary tips could be involved!

:yum::yum::yum::yum:

Guts

all but the soapy water in the sink. i also try to get out all the things i need for that meal. A lot of stuff will cut/prepared or measured out and ready to use before i start. i have a dish washer but never use it. it's twenty years old and looks like new. My next dish washer will be a Miele then i will use it.

K

Kimchee

I align the crystals in their wormwood stands, chime the sterling silver pipes, turn widdershins 3 times while chanting the Chef's Mantra.
Then and only then, am I ready to take up the Knife and Fork and begin....

Unless it is a full moon, then I skip the chime and use a flugelhorn instead.
;)

Empty sink, clean counters... that's about it for me.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
:yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: I almost wet my pants. :lol:

Be careful! That's liable to excite him and illicit a response of "Crap, can you really do that????????" Hmmm....monetary tips could be involved!

:yum::yum::yum::yum:
OH JEEEEEEZ I WET MYSELF!! AND THEN THANKS TO KELTIN I WET MY MONITOR with Fresca!! :brows: THEN I said well if you can bite you own butt then you can ...............!! (In my best Rosanna Rosannadana voice) NEVA MIND!! :whistling:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I need all the things mama needs plus the things guts needs.

All tools, foods and bowls to put the cut/prepped food in out.

Plenty of dry paper towels and at least one wet paper towel.

Something to use as a spoon rest for mixing tools/prepping foods.

All pot handles must be turned toward the back or side of stove and not sticking out where they can accidentally be tipped over and spill hot whatever on anyone.

Pot holders in reach of anything hot or potentially hot.

I know there are more but I don't want you to know how anal I really am. :lol:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Clean counters and sink. I do clean as I go, it all goes in the dishwasher. there are only tow of us (People that is), so the dishwasher is where everything goes till it is full enough to run.

I do rule the pantry and cupboards with an iron hand. I can put my hand on most anything almost blindfolded. I prefer clean counters and I will get out spices, bowls, plates, pots, etc as I need them. I then start by preping and measuring all the ingredients and go from there.

mhend

My habits are pretty much the same: kitchen and sink has to be clean. I always wipe the counters down right before I begin cooking no matter what. Immediately after wiping down the counters, I get out my 2 cutting boards - one for meat, one for veggies, grab my knives and a Publix bag to throw trash, peels, etc. into. That way I don't have to stop what I'm doing to make a trip to the trash can over and over. I put all the trash in the bag and make one trip at the end. Peeps, I turn all the pothandles in towards the back of the stove too. That has become second nature to me with the two little ones running around. I load the dishwasher as I go.

Cooksie

Site Supporter

:lol::lol::lol: That has got to be the funniest thing I've read in a while!

I have to start with no dirty dishes in the sink, but other than that I just grab the ingredients and get to cooking.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I am not quite as anal as Peeps, and don't worry about the pot handles anymore. But like Andy, I have a place for everything and everything had better be in its place. Hate to reach for something when I need it and find it not there. We had a maid for awhile and it drove me insane because she was always hiding stuff from me in the kitchen. I don't think I communicated very well - "NO CAMBIE, NO CAMBIE COSAS EN LA COCINA!!! ". Or maybe she did it on purpose and secretly snickered as she left, imagining me going crazy looking for my lime squeezer when I needed it...I put everything away as I go and dirty dishes go in the sink. I don't have a dishwasher. My goal is to have all the prep and cooking stuff cleaned up by the time we sit down to dinner. I'm not always successful.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my items have thier places, & thier order, & i'll get 2 near-hysterics when another musses them.
i have a #'s affinity, too

Leni

I do the mise en place bit along with DH and DD out of my very small kitchen. Unlike some of you I do not have a sink full of hot soapy water. Instead I have one of those soap wands that I use to clean up as I go.