Cacerola de Tamales (Chile, Meat, Cornmeal Casserole)

Deelady

Cacerola de Tamales (Chile, Meat, Cornmeal Casserole)

Baking Time: 20 minutesTemperature: Medium, 35o°F Freezes Well

1 pound ground beef
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 pound ground pork
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 3/4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups canned tomatoes
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornmeal
1/2 cup chopped ripe olives
2 tablespoons chopped green chile
3 cups water

Fry ground beef and pork in a medium-sized skillet at medium heat until beef is browned. Add onion and garlic to meat mixture and cook until onion is tender. Drain.
Add tomatoes, olives, green chile, salt, and pepper to mixture and cook for approximately 20 minutes. (Water may be added to the mixture if a thinner consistency is desired.) Add 1/4 cup of cheese and 2 tablespoons of cornmeal to mixture, cook for 2-3 minutes, and set mixture aside. Place remaining cornmeal and water in a medium-sized saucepan. Cook cornmeal mixture, stirring occasionally, until cornmeal is thick. Spread half of cornmeal mixture in bottom of a greased 9x13 inch baking pan. Place meat mixture over top of cornmeal and spread remaining half of cornmeal over top of filling. Top with remaining cheese.
Bake in a 350°F oven for 20 minutes.

Last edited:

lilylove

Dee, does the bottom layer of cornmeal *for lack of a better word * stay mushy...or does it become more crust like?

Deelady

Can't tell you dear, I havent tried this one...I was searching for one my friend use to make and hers was not mushy....but not crunchy either. Just kinda bready. I was hoping to try this to see if it came out like hers.