High Cheese German Meatballs

High Cheese

Saucier
German Meatballs, about 4 servings.

For the meatballs:
3 lb ground beef (or whatever meat you prefer)
2 eggs
2 T Worcestershire
1/3 c chopped fresh parsley
2 large shallots, minced and lightly sauteed in butter until soft
1 T caraway seed
4 anchovies, mushed into a paste
1/2 c breadcrumbs
zest of one lemon
salt and pepper

After the shallot has cooled, add all ingredients into a bowl and mix with a spoon, then add the beef and mix evenly. I used a 1/4 c spoon to measure out the meatballs to about a golf ball size.

Brown the meatballs in a large fry pan in oil, set aside and remove all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the pan.

For the sauce:

1 large minced shallot
2 T capers
2 minced anchovies
1 T caraway seed
3/4 c dry white wine
1 can of Campbells french onion soup and 1/2 can water
1/2 c chopped fresh parsley
juice of one lemon
1-2 T butter

Add the shallot, capers, andchovy and caraway to the pan, lightly saute until the shallot is translucent. Deglaze with the white wine and add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, add the meatballs back in the pan to finish cooking, approx 10 more minutes. Remove the meatballs to a plate and continue to cook the sauce until reduced by half original amount. The sauce should be somewhat thick by now. Reduce heat to low simmer, whisk in cold butter to thicken the sauce, check for seasoning. Add the meatballs back to the pan to coat and serve by itself or over egg noodles, etc.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmm sounds good HC. Reminds me of a recipe DW got from her step mom called Frickidilly meatballs.

Next time they come up on our menu I'll ask that she try your recipe and I'll post the differences in ingredients etc.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Intriguing!

Copied and saved. May try it this weekend.

Lee

High Cheese

Saucier
Sounds good - I am on a german thing lately will have to try - good too see you old friend!

Good to see you too!

when I get a craving for German food I like to cook up some brats. Pretty easy dinner but the taste is awesome.

Johnsonville Original brats
2 medium yellow onions, sliced but not too thin
1.5 t caraway seeds
2 T butter
1 12oz beer

Brown the brats in a 10" pan. When browned, remove and set aside. Add the onion, caraway and butter. Gently cook the onion over med-low heat just until softened. Add the brats and nestle in with the onion. Add one whole beer, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until the brats are cooked through. Remove the brats and continue to reduce the sauce if necessary. You should wind up with a kind of thick onion sauce. I serve that on the side in a ramekin.

Along with the brats, I usually have German red cabbage (come prepared, just heat and serve) and I roast some potatoes with rosemary. I usually put out 2-3 different types of mustard.

We have a dinner like that or I'll put the brats on a bun and top with the onion mixture. Or have brats and cook up some kielbasi to go along with it.

Havent really done any other German stuff.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I finally made these German Meatballs yesterday, since my Dad was visiting and he loves German food (and meatballs, and noodles, and he is a great sous chef, doing all the chopping for me).

These are a little work, but they are MAGNIFICENT!

The combination of flavors (sour, caraway, salty) is SO Germanic and delicious! Do not skip on the anchovies - you don't know that they are there, but they add a richness to the dish.

I don't know what 4 people High Cheese served, but I'd say this recipe will serve 8, at least.

Excellent recipe, HC! Thank you!

Lee

Attachments

• German meatballs 1 - raw.JPG
    German meatballs 1 - raw.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 159
  • German meatballs 2 - browned.JPG
    German meatballs 2 - browned.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 155
  • German meatballs 3 - plated.JPG
    German meatballs 3 - plated.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 151

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmmm great pics Lee. :tiphat: Those look mouth watering good!!!!!!!
Have to try this recipe.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I finally made these German Meatballs yesterday, since my Dad was visiting and he loves German food (and meatballs, and noodles, and he is a great sous chef, doing all the chopping for me).

These are a little work, but they are MAGNIFICENT!

The combination of flavors (sour, caraway, salty) is SO Germanic and delicious! Do not skip on the anchovies - you don't know that they are there, but they add a richness to the dish.

I don't know what 4 people High Cheese served, but I'd say this recipe will serve 8, at least.

Excellent recipe, HC! Thank you!

Lee

I must 2nd you on this Lee. :wow: These are so good. I am not a fan of anchovies but like you said, I did not know they were there. Such a unique spicy taste to these. Mmmm Mmmm good. And they were good the 2nd time around. I warmed some up over the weekend and enjoyed them just as much as leftovers.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good for you, Doc!

Some people are scared away by a long list of ingredients, so kudos to you for giving this a try!

They are worth it!

Lee