Holiday drinks

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]What Holiday drink do you like? Here is my favorite drink.[/FONT]

Hot Buttered Rum History

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]A cocktail made with boiling water, sugar and spices is traditionally referred to as a "toddy," and made with whiskey or sherry. Warm alcoholic beverages such as glogg, mulled wine and toddies originated in Northern Europe, where beer, cider, wine and spirits were mulled with sugar and spices to add some cheer to cold winter days.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Hot buttered rum is a toddy (specifically, a rum toddy). Toddies can be made of any spirit—bourbon, brandy, tequila, Scotch and other whiskeys are popular. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Hot buttered rum was a favorite in Colonial America. Rum is a New World spirit, made of molasses, a by-product of sugar refining. Distilleries in the Colonies were making rum from the molasses by the 1650s, and “hot buttered rum” joined the toddies and nogs of English tradition (a nog is a beverage made of beaten eggs). [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Hot buttered rum is traditionally made with dark rum, which has been aged in oak barrels to develop a deeper, molasses flavor. You can use light rum or spiced rum for a milder or spicier flavor, respectively. Dark rums can also be drunk straight. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]You may see photos of, or recipes for, creamy toddies, which add cream or ice cream to the basic recipe. These are new interpretations, not traditional toddies, which were not cream beverages.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]HOT BUTTERED RUM
• 3 cloves (whole)
• 1 1/2 oz. dark rum
• 1 generous tbsp. brown sugar
• 1 Cinnamon stick
¾ mug Boiling water
pat butter
Grated nutmeg
Size of a 25 cent piece Lemon peel

Add boiling water to large mug then add brown sugar, cinnamon stick, and a lemon peel studded with cloves. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add rum and stir, then place pat of butter on top of drink, and sprinkle with grated nutmeg.

In a Colonial inn, a short rod iron pokers would have been placed in the fire until they were red hot, Then they would have been put into the mug and stirred to heat up the ingredients
[/FONT]

lilylove

We spend the holidays in Mexico so no need for warm drinks.

We love, coconut rum with fresh pineapple juice

or

my new favorite

Mango flavored vodka with diet 7 Up! It's very refreshing :)

Rustpot

We spend the holidays in Mexico so no need for warm drinks.

We love, coconut rum with fresh pineapple juice

or

my new favorite

Mango flavored vodka with diet 7 Up! It's very refreshing :)

The coconut rum with fresh pineapple juice sounds great.
In Miami you will see road side vinders selling "Co Co Freo"
This is a coconut in an ice cooler, they will chop off the top of the coconut and place a straw in the cold coconut to drink the coconut milk. If one ask!, and with a tip you can get your Co Co freo with a shot of rum!

GotGarlic

I don't really like dry champagne, but I found I love it if I add a shot of Frangelico or Chambord

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mango flavored vodka with diet 7 Up sounds interesting for sure (and easy :thumb:). I've never seen mango flavored Vodka though.

Anyone happen to catch the CBS morning show the Friday before Thanksgiving? The had a drink that sounded very refreshing made with Makers Mark. So I bought a bottle of Makers Mark but can't find the recipe online. Dang it.

Anyone know a festive Makers Mark recipe?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, here you go (I think, anyway):

MAKER'S MARK WITH SPICY GINGER SODA

Ginger Syrup
1/2 cup sugar (fine turbinado)
1/2 cup water
1/4 lb. fresh ginger root (peeled and finely grated)

In a small saucepot bring the sugar, water, and ginger to a boil. Turn off the heat, and allow to steep and cool for one hour. Strain off the ginger pieces, and reserve the syrup.

To Serve
(Makes 1)

Large ice cubes
3 oz. Maker's Mark
1 tbsp. ginger syrup
1 sliced lady apple
2 oz. soda water

Fill a 10 oz. highball glass with ice. Add Maker's Mark and ginger syrup, and stir. Add Lady Apple slices, and pour soda water to the top of the glass. Stir gently

Mango flavored vodka with diet 7 Up sounds interesting for sure (and easy :thumb:). I've never seen mango flavored Vodka though.

Anyone happen to catch the CBS morning show the Friday before Thanksgiving? The had a drink that sounded very refreshing made with Makers Mark. So I bought a bottle of Makers Mark but can't find the recipe online. Dang it.

Anyone know a festive Makers Mark recipe?

I followed a few links:

http://intoxicologist.wordpress.com...ws-sunday-morning-reflections-on-prohibition/

And found some here:

http://www.makersmark.com/#!/mix/classics

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the efforts CC. :beer:

I found the makers mark site in my searches. I should have said in my previous post that it was a CBS thanksgiving meal preparation and the drink was to complement the meal.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks again CC.
I tried that, I even checked you tube for a video of the segment I was after but I could not find it. Plus I could not remember the name of the guest who was the one that told them of the drink.
I sure expected it to be on the CBS web site but if it is I've had no luck finding it.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lee, sorry I missed your post. Interesting. But not the one I was looking for. I 'thought' it had a slice of lime or lemon, but my memory sucks. But I know there was nothing to bring to a boil. That I'm sure of.
Thanks for trying. :tiphat:

Apologies to Rustpot for taking this thread so far off track.

Now back to your favorite holiday drinks. Lets have em. :thumb: :beer:

I was at outback a couple of weeks ago and tried a WalaBy darned. Mmmmmmm sure tasted good, and they were two for the price of one. :D

Rumor has it that this is the recipe for the drink:

8 ounces frozen sliced peaches
1/2 cup Bacardi frozen fuzzy navel mix
1/2 cup ice
1/2 cup champagne
2 shots water
1 shot peach schnapps
1 shot vodka
1 tablespoon sugar

Combine all of the ingredients in a blender. Blend on high speed until ice
is completely crushed and the drink is smooth. Pour into two 10-ounce
glasses and serve immediately.

Sgroppino. Not just for the Holidays. It's served after dinner & made w/ lemon sorbet, but I changed it out.

http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=160847&postcount=1

sgroppino.jpg

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
More holiday drinks. DW just supplied me with these three:

Tom and Jerry

8 eggs
2 lbs. confectioners' sugar

Beat eggs very well (thick and yellow). Add sugar and beat together well.

FOR EACH SERVING:
1 jigger rum
1 jigger brandy
Pour into large mug. Fill with HOT water. Add 2 Tablespoons egg mixture on top. Add a dash of nutmeg.

--------------------------------

Sally's Hot Buttered Rum

2 cups brown sugar
2 quarts water
2-3 cups rum
6 whole cloves
4 sticks cinnamon
One-half cup butter.

Pour ingredients into crockpot. Put on high for 2 hours, then on low for 8-10 hours. Serve in mugs. Keep leftovers at room temperature and reheat to serve.

------------------------------------

Dad's Eggnog

1 fifth brandy (Christian Brothers)
1 pint dark run
1 dozen eggs
One-half gallon whole milk
1 pink whipping cream, slightly whipped
1/2 c. sugar
Dash of salt
Nutmeg for Garnish

Separate eggs and whip whites stiff. Whip yolks until thick and add sugar to them. Combine all ingredients except egg whites and nutmeg and mix. Fold in egg whites. Serve with a dash of nutmeg.

NOTEL Leftover eggnog can be stored in the refrigerator, but it is best when freshly made. This is strong, and should be consumed with moderation. ADULTS ONLY….)

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Apple Pie drink [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ingredients[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 gallon apple juice [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 gallon apple cider [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3 cups white sugar [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]8 cinnamon sticks [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 (750 milliliter) bottle 190 proof grain alcohol[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Directions[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In a large pot, combine apple juice, apple cider, sugar and cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let cool completely. [/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]When juice mixture is cool, Stir in the grain alcohol. :margarita:[/FONT]

Rustpot

More holiday drinks. DW just supplied me with these three:

Tom and Jerry

8 eggs
2 lbs. confectioners' sugar

Beat eggs very well (thick and yellow). Add sugar and beat together well.

FOR EACH SERVING:
1 jigger rum
1 jigger brandy
Pour into large mug. Fill with HOT water. Add 2 Tablespoons egg mixture on top. Add a dash of nutmeg.

--------------------------------

Sally's Hot Buttered Rum

2 cups brown sugar
2 quarts water
2-3 cups rum
6 whole cloves
4 sticks cinnamon
One-half cup butter.

Pour ingredients into crockpot. Put on high for 2 hours, then on low for 8-10 hours. Serve in mugs. Keep leftovers at room temperature and reheat to serve.

------------------------------------

Dad's Eggnog

1 fifth brandy (Christian Brothers)
1 pint dark run
1 dozen eggs
One-half gallon whole milk
1 pink whipping cream, slightly whipped
1/2 c. sugar
Dash of salt
Nutmeg for Garnish

Separate eggs and whip whites stiff. Whip yolks until thick and add sugar to them. Combine all ingredients except egg whites and nutmeg and mix. Fold in egg whites. Serve with a dash of nutmeg.

NOTEL Leftover eggnog can be stored in the refrigerator, but it is best when freshly made. This is strong, and should be consumed with moderation. ADULTS ONLY….)
Thanks! I cliped and saved these. Going to give them a try.

Rustpot

Beer

Cold...very cold, almost freezing!

Happy Holiday's all!

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]What kind of beer? [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]When I was younger I drank all sorts of beer. As I got older I narrowed it down to just a few kinds of beers. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Now I just like Stouts! My favorite is “Oatmeal stout”! :beer:[/FONT]