12 lasagna noodles (do not cook)
2 cups cottage cheese
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tablespoons dried parsley
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
3 - 4 cups Spaghetti sauce

In a medium bowl, combine the cottage cheese, egg, parsley and Parmesan cheese. Mix well.

Grease 1 9x13 or 2 8x8 foil baking pan(s).

Cover the bottom of the pan with thin layer of sauce.
Layer noodles on top of the sauce(do not cook the noodles, break them to fit)
Spoon another layer of sauce on top of the noodles.
Sprinkle with half of the Mozzarella and half of the Jack cheeses.
Add another layer of noodles.
Spoon the cottage cheese mixture on top of the noodles.
Top with another layer of noodles and the rest of the cheeses.
Add a thick layer of spaghetti sauce.

Cover with extra heavy foil. Label and freeze.

To serve: Thaw. Bake covered for 45 to 60 minutes at 375°. Uncover, top with more Mozzarella cheese if desired and bake an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I just saw on Ina yesterday where she layered her pasta at right angles to the layer before......... she said that this keeps the lasagna from sliding apart when cut and plated........ anybody do this.....
3_2_111.gif
23_33_7.gif

QuirkyCookery

Do you notice any real difference using cottage cheese instead of ricotta? It's obviously different, but seems like texture would be similar, right?

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
I just saw on Ina yesterday where she layered her pasta at right angles to the layer before......... she said that this keeps the lasagna from sliding apart when cut and plated........ anybody do this.....
3_2_111.gif
23_33_7.gif

I do, and it holds together MUCH better. Even when using pre-fab sheets, we make sure there are no overlapping "joints".

As for Cottage v. Ricotta. . .the Ricotta is a bit sweeter, holds its shape well, v the cottage cheese which is a lil more sour, and gets creamier, and runs a bit. It's nice for contrast.

Shermie

Site Supporter
12 lasagna noodles (do not cook)
2 cups cottage cheese
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tablespoons dried parsley
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
3 - 4 cups Spaghetti sauce

In a medium bowl, combine the cottage cheese, egg, parsley and Parmesan cheese. Mix well.

Grease 1 9x13 or 2 8x8 foil baking pan(s).

Cover the bottom of the pan with thin layer of sauce.
Layer noodles on top of the sauce(do not cook the noodles, break them to fit)
Spoon another layer of sauce on top of the noodles.
Sprinkle with half of the Mozzarella and half of the Jack cheeses.
Add another layer of noodles.
Spoon the cottage cheese mixture on top of the noodles.
Top with another layer of noodles and the rest of the cheeses.
Add a thick layer of spaghetti sauce.

Cover with extra heavy foil. Label and freeze.

To serve: Thaw. Bake covered for 45 to 60 minutes at 375°. Uncover, top with more Mozzarella cheese if desired and bake an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

Sounds like the recipe for Lazy Lasagna, except I think that it has ground meat in it.

I'd try this one, but I think that I'm old school.

I like & enjoy the challenge of making my own meat sauce and letting it slow cook for several hours until it is thick, tasty and the meat is very soft.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Do you notice any real difference using cottage cheese instead of ricotta? It's obviously different, but seems like texture would be similar, right?

Texture is different.

Cottage cheese is in little lumps, while ricotta has a somewhat creamier almost grainy texture.

My mom used cottage cheese. I like to use ricotta.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's the recipe for Lazy Lasagna (below).

Actually, there are 2 versions of this. The one below is made with breakfast sausages, while Lazy Lasagna II is made with ground beef or poultry. :eating2:

Posted:

Lazy Lasagna I

By: Sarah Anderson
"I found this recipe in a church cookbook my grandmother gave me for my wedding. I've adjusted it to my tastes, and my husband just loves it. It's so easy and takes practically no time to make. I thoroughly recommend it."

15862.gif
Rate/Review | Read Reviews (28)
1,173 people have saved this | 1 custom version

What to Drink?

icon_wine_24x28.gif
Sangiovese

Servings (Help)

USMetricCalculate
Original Recipe Yield8 servings

Ingredients

• 1 (12 ounce) package breakfast sausage
  • 1 (32 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
  • 1 (16 ounce) package cottage cheese
  • 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley
  • 1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles
  • 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 cup water
Directions

1. Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain excess fat. Reduce heat to low, stir in the jar of spaghetti sauce, and heat through. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, sour cream. Stir in dried parsley to taste.
  3. Spoon 1/2 of the meat sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Place 1/2 of the uncooked noodles over the sauce, then 1/2 of the cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese, and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining 2 cups of mozzarella cheese. Pour water around the outside edge of pan. Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
  4. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F(175 degree C) oven for one hour. Uncover. Continue baking for an additional 20 minutes, or until bubbly and browned. Remove from oven, and let stand 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 682 | Total Fat: 33.1g | Cholesterol: 98mgPowered by ESHA Nutrient Database
Nutritional Information
Lazy Lasagna I
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving

Calories: 682
  • Total Fat: 33.1g
  • Cholesterol: 98mg
  • Sodium: 1269mg
  • Total Carbs: 60.2g
  • Dietary Fiber: 4.8g
  • Protein: 36g
VIEW DETAILED NUTRITION
About: Nutrition Info

ABC’s The Chew

Don’t miss a delicious new kind of daytime talk show. Premieres Mon, Sept 26 at 1et/12pt/c on ABC.

Last edited: