Cedar Plank Salmon

GrillinFool

It's funny, we go to Michigan every year and take our own boat. Pretty much that boat makes two trips a day, every day, while we're there. Between 25 and 30 of us go every year and we bring enough fresh salmon to feed everyone and send everyone home with a big bag of salmon. We bring in some serious fish:

Fish2.jpg

In the pic above, from the left, are my cousin Tom, the third Grillin Fool, his friend Brad and Tom's dad, Gary.

And despite that we've never done a salmon recipe on the website.

So, here's our first salmon recipe. Cedar plank salmon. Give me a little while and I'll have a second one up.

Here's the write up with pictures every step of the way.

Hope you aren't hungry:

CPS1.jpg

CPS5.jpg

CPS8.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That is a work of art. What beautiful fish!!! I've never done cedar plank salmon before, but have always wanted to,. This is definitely on my short list now! :thumb:

mhend

I keep returning to these salmon pics! I can just imagine how this tastes! The rub sounds delish!

GrillinFool

I keep returning to these salmon pics! I can just imagine how this tastes! The rub sounds delish!

How about some more pics. These were from the year before:

S1.JPG

SP1A-1024x536.jpg

Me pulling out all those little bones with a pair of needle nose plyers:

S2.JPG

On the grill with my cousin and the third Grillin Fool along side:

S11.JPG

And this will blow your mind. Here's how much salmon we had leftover after we fed 30 people:

F41.JPG

K

Kimchee

Love the fish... but as far as I'm concerned, cedar plank salmon gives it a taste like a dog bed or a closet. Not a big fan of cedar planking.
But boy do I like salmon!

GrillinFool

Love the fish... but as far as I'm concerned, cedar plank salmon gives it a taste like a dog bed or a closet. Not a big fan of cedar planking.

You and I are in the same boat. That's why I put the disclaimer at the bottom of the post about how it's not for everyone.

If you don't like the cedar, try maple planks. That's what I do at home...

mhend

How about some more pics. These were from the year before:

S1.JPG

SP1A-1024x536.jpg

Me pulling out all those little bones with a pair of needle nose plyers:

S2.JPG

On the grill with my cousin and the third Grillin Fool along side:

S11.JPG

And this will blow your mind. Here's how much salmon we had leftover after we fed 30 people:

F41.JPG

That is unbelievable!!! I wouldn't know what to do if I could get fresh salmon like that. I would be a very happy woman!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

You and I are in the same boat. That's why I put the disclaimer at the bottom of the post about how it's not for everyone.

If you don't like the cedar, try maple planks. That's what I do at home...

Wow, thanks for the heads up! That doesn't sound very appealing, but it sure looks fun. I'll try the maple planks for my first attempt. Thanks for the info!! :thumb:

Johnny West

I had to smile at this one. I don't mind cedar smell and to each his own.

The next time will try a rub. I just use smoke to flavor salmon and did this coho last night. I use cedar planks but never got around to soaking one yesterday so used foil. :readytoeat:

:bbq3:

Attachments

• #######Salmon Bake.jpg
    #######Salmon Bake.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,047
  • #######Salmon Bake Plate.jpg
    #######Salmon Bake Plate.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 1,016

Johnny West

Tonight I smoke cooked the Spring tail from a couple months ago and used pecan for smoke. It was delicious as were the beets and brussels sprouts. Lemon and my tartar sauce were added at the table. We only ate half so there will be salmon patties Friday. Springs are a bit tougher and not as flavorful as a coho or red.

Attachments

• #Spring Tail I.jpg
    #Spring Tail I.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,105
  • #Spring Tail II.jpg
    #Spring Tail II.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,121

Johnny West

Last night did the last piece of king on foil as the cedar plank had seen it's better days. I used alder and cherry for smoke and it was tender and tasty.

Attachments

• #Smoke Spring.jpg
    #Smoke Spring.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,139