Sound Bars

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Do any of you have a sound bar for your tv?

If so ???:

Which one do you have
Do you like it
Which others did you consider
Does it really make a difference in the sound on your tv

If brand of tv makes a difference, I have a Samsung tv with a Roku Premiere right now. I'm looking for something that's reasonably priced but still sounds good, easy to connect, and easy to use.

I've read some stuff that says a sound bar doesn't really make a big difference in sound, so I don't want to waste my moola.

Thanks

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, Cooksie, I have a sound bar. But only because the sound on my Sony TV was going south.

Mine is an LG. I spoke with a VERY knowledgeable sales associate at Best Buy, who told me that the LG bar was compatible with my Sony - it is worth asking the question.

A friend of mine installed it for me, but it seemed pretty simple.

Made all the difference in the world, in my case.

Not sure if it would be worthwhile in your case, if your sound is good right now.

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thanks, Q-Sis. I don't think I want to go into Best Buy right now, so I'm looking to buy something online and have it delivered.

The sound on my tv is okay but not great.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I bought one from Amazon last December. It works great but the sound is different than what comes out of the small speakers that come with TV (55" Panasonic). It is a fuller sound. Plus it has blue tooth so I can play music from my phone on it. Handy.

It uses a separate remote to power it on and off and up and down the volume. Inconvenient. Wife does not care for the sound for regular TV shows, and I have to agree it is a bit much. In our house we each have a remote, so either of us can fast forward through commercials, or turn it up or down or pause etc etc. With the soundbar and one remote that takes part of the control from my wife since I have the remote. I've offered to give it to her but she doesn't want it since she prefers the soundbar off. Just her opinion.

I like the one I bought ...it's our 2nd one. I like that is has a sub woofer with it. I use it for movies and music when TV is off. $119

https://www.amazon.com/Soundbar-Sub...Model+S18&qid=1588721628&s=electronics&sr=1-1

Sound Bar,WOHOME 2.1 Channel Soundbar with Subwoofer,34-inch Wired & Wireless Speaker for TV, 5.5-inch Subwoofer 4 Speakers 120W 95dB Remote Control Upgraded Model S18

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Doc, it's interesting that your wife prefers not to use it. I'll check both wohome and lg out today.

Thanks

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Cooksie - Best Buy sells online. The stores here are all shut.

This is a very interesting topic. I have a pretty good hearing loss. I wear hearing aids. Hence, sound is an issue. My old aids had an attachment that connected to an attachment that hooked to the TV and I heard TV audio in my aids. Loved it. I could shut sound off on the TV and watch without bothering anyone. My New aids didn't used to. I tried a couple bluetooth devices and they echo terribly. I gave up. I watch TV on my computer now with my headset.

Totally off topic. Just thought I would share. Have a good day all.

P. S. though - Everything has a silver lining. I can turn the aids off at noisy family gatherings and sit there and smile at everyone.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I have a Samsung HW-MM55C/ZA. Also, a Samsung Smart TV.
They paired very easily with bluetooth, and it has a couple alternate means of connecting if you need them.

My Spectrum/Charter remote works them both at the same time. When I turn on the TV, the soundbar automatically starts up. If I use the Samsung TV remote for Netflix or something else, without turning on the cable, the soundbar still works automatically with the TV. Whatever I'm using, it just takes one remote - and one power on button - to manage it.

This model came with a sub-woofer. I got it at Costco, but BJ's Sam's Club, Best Buy, etc., also carry it. My TV isn't wall mounted - it sits on its legs. This soundbar is so slim, it slips right under the TV and you don't even notice it. The sound is a zillion times better than the built in speakers on the TV.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
When I turn on the TV, the soundbar automatically starts up.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. My friend synched the sound bar to my TV remote, so when I turn on the TV, the sound bar starts up. And I use my regular TV remote to adjust volume.

My soundbar is pretty simple.

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I finally made a decision and bought one. It's a Wohome. I was skeptical of buying that brand because I wasn't sure. So, thanks Doc. Good enough for you, good enough for me :).

I looked at Lg, QSis. They were a little more pricey than I wanted.

Since I have a Samsung tv, I would have loved to have a Samsung, SilverSage, but the one you recommended was no longer available and all the others were too pricey for me.

Adillo, any info is good info, so thanks.

The one I ordered has a built in subwoofer. That's probably not as good as a stand-alone subwoofer, but I didn't want a wired subwoofer. It also has modes for movies/music/tv. I just hope I can hook this sucker up when I get it. It looks like I'll have to use the optical hook up. Just hope all that works and everything sounds better than what I have right now.

Thanks all for the replies

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats Cooksie. Sounds good. I doubt you'll have trouble hooking it up but if you do post here and maybe we can share how we hooked up ours.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I appreciate that, Doc. I may well have to take you up on it. I don't think it's arriving until late next week. Amazon is concentrating on essential shipments, which I agree with. A sound bar is definitely fluff.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Did it! It took me some time. I hooked it all up, reset the audio on the tv, but couldn't get the white light on the sound bar, which is supposed to come on when using an optical cable connection, and couldn't get sound from the bar.

I went back and checked everything and found that I hadn't pushed the optical cable far enough into the back of the tv :bonk:. When I pushed it in, did the input stuff, the white light lit, and....beautiful, beautiful sound.

The sound is very good compared to my tv speakers. I think part of the problem with my tv speakers is that the tv is pushed back into an entertainment center so the sound gets muffled.

I'm very pleased with this sound bar. Total cost was about $86.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice :respect:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Finally decided to get a sound bar.

Ordered a Samsung HW-S40T to mate with my Samsung Smart TV.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089CH1DC8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$50 off cost $129.99

I have a Bose Wave radio in the bedroom with bluetooth and an XM receiver direct off the satellite. I hope I can feed that to the sound bar.

Let you know how it works. If you see a mushroom cloud over north central Texas something went wrong.

Picture really helps, doesn’t it! :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 02079629-12C4-4B5B-AFAB-0CA32AA088F0.jpg
    02079629-12C4-4B5B-AFAB-0CA32AA088F0.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 908
Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I think you'll like that. I sure do like mine. I did have a little problem about a month ago. Turned out it was the roku and not the sound bar. All I had to do was reset the roku, may have had something with a power outage.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Finally decided to get a sound bar.

Ordered a Samsung HW-S40T to mate with my Samsung Smart TV.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089CH1DC8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$50 off cost $129.99

I have a Bose Wave radio in the bedroom with bluetooth and an XM receiver direct off the satellite. I hope I can feed that to the sound bar.

Let you know how it works. If you see a mushroom cloud over north central Texas something went wrong.

Picture really helps, doesn’t it! :mrgreen:

Your sound bar must be on a slow boat from China.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Your sound bar must be on a slow boat from China.

It came the other day. Unboxed it, just need some help to move the tv to plug the optical cable in. Cousin should come by this afternoon.

Attachments

• 892CED61-F050-4F3B-90B9-1A65E2C7436C.jpg
    892CED61-F050-4F3B-90B9-1A65E2C7436C.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 900

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Here it sits :mrgreen:

Right reading on clock is outside temp. Three digits :bonk:

Attachments

• 95CA7CD2-AEDB-412F-95F0-26EAC795735F.jpg
    95CA7CD2-AEDB-412F-95F0-26EAC795735F.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 916

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Looks like you're happy?
What do you think about the sound?
Ease of hooking it up?
Were you able to hook up the other stuff to it?

Now that I've used mine for a while, the only thing that I would say is that I don't like is its height. When things are scrolling across the bottom of the tv, it cuts some of the words off. I can still read it, but it is kind of cut off at the bottom. Maybe my tv is on a lower stand than most.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Looks like you're happy?
What do you think about the sound?
Ease of hooking it up?
Were you able to hook up the other stuff to it?

Now that I've used mine for a while, the only thing that I would say is that I don't like is its height. When things are scrolling across the bottom of the tv, it cuts some of the words off. I can still read it, but it is kind of cut off at the bottom. Maybe my tv is on a lower stand than most.

Seems to work fine. Took off be itself when we plugged it in. I need to spend some time playing with it. I might even read the manual :mrgreen:

The feet on the tv holds it above the sound bar.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
My satisfaction level is dropping:(

My tv remote is controlling the volume and mute just fine. I need the soundbar remote to get to the setup menu and to pair with my XM bluetooth transmitter

I can’t get the cover off to install batteries! :whistling:

Attachments

• FDAE7A78-FEF1-4B17-AD93-D4D7E5C43204.jpg
    FDAE7A78-FEF1-4B17-AD93-D4D7E5C43204.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 907
  • FD40731C-6793-409C-98ED-DC12C34E1968.jpg
    FD40731C-6793-409C-98ED-DC12C34E1968.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 899

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Did you get the dang thing off?

I have a wand vacuum with a cover that's hard to slide down. Sometimes I have to gently pry with a butter knife while pulling down.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Did you get the dang thing off?

I have a wand vacuum with a cover that's hard to slide down. Sometimes I have to gently pry with a butter knife while pulling down.

Finally :bonk:

Gripped the back with a pair of pliers and pulled! The cover is a tight friction fit as it slides on so I cut the little tab that locks it off.

Everything is working fine! Should have bought it when you guys got yours.