What are you doing today?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
These little guys were born around mid May in my backyard. Sometime in September I saw the Mama come padding into my backyard again followed closely by two of the kittens. I thought to myself, "Aww, only two survived." Lo and behold, another one was shortly behind. I thought to myself, "Well, three out of five is not too bad for feral kittens." And then I almost cried, the other two came along the top of the fence.

Every one of them survived. They are skittish as heck and run if they spot me spying on them. Couple of evenings ago, five of them came back through. I'm not sure if it was all 5 kittens or the Mama and 4 kittens. One of the kittens looks just like her.

Their survival skills are just unbelievable. Of course, I think the neighbor behind me has been feeding them for some time, which helps immensely when hunting is bad.

It's that time of the year:

Kitlets.jpg

My heart tells me to go get the mama some food, but my head tells me not to mess with them. I really don't know if she's somebody's cat that got po'd and moved her kittens, or if she is a stray. I watched her pad along the fence line with a mouthful of something several times. Now I know what all those sneaky little trips were all about.

Embryodad

These little guys were born around mid May in my backyard. Sometime in September I saw the Mama come padding into my backyard again followed closely by two of the kittens. I thought to myself, "Aww, only two survived." Lo and behold, another one was shortly behind. I thought to myself, "Well, three out of five is not too bad for feral kittens." And then I almost cried, the other two came along the top of the fence.

Every one of them survived. They are skittish as heck and run if they spot me spying on them. Couple of evenings ago, five of them came back through. I'm not sure if it was all 5 kittens or the Mama and 4 kittens. One of the kittens looks just like her.

Their survival skills are just unbelievable. Of course, I think the neighbor behind me has been feeding them for some time, which helps immensely when hunting is bad.
Oh cooksie....that is so cute!

We have stray or feral cats that frequent the back yard, but Tina took favor to a little 1 year old black one she named sweetie. She started twice daily feeding it cat food and water. Then I was the bad guy for not building it a house for the winter. I broke down, and bought a insulated house, and heated floor on line.
I finally got close to the kitty, and noticed it was not well. eyes were not clear, so Tina was going to see if she could have it come to her, and take it to a vet for help.

/it was warm in the house, but she didn't survive the illness.

I gave Tina strict orders ( to be broken as usual ) to only throw food far in the back yard. We throw all food scraps, and in hours, it is cleaned up by whatever animals get first come first serve.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Oh cooksie....that is so cute!

We have stray or feral cats that frequent the back yard, but Tina took favor to a little 1 year old black one she named sweetie. She started twice daily feeding it cat food and water. Then I was the bad guy for not building it a house for the winter. I broke down, and bought a insulated house, and heated floor on line.
I finally got close to the kitty, and noticed it was not well. eyes were not clear, so Tina was going to see if she could have it come to her, and take it to a vet for help.

/it was warm in the house, but she didn't survive the illness.

I gave Tina strict orders ( to be broken as usual ) to only throw food far in the back yard. We throw all food scraps, and in hours, it is cleaned up by whatever animals get first come first serve.

We're just big ol' softies :yankchain: . I don't usually put any kind of scraps out for the animals because I'm afraid of drawing the cat-killing coyotes :(.

Embryodad

We're just big ol' softies :yankchain: . I don't usually put any kind of scraps out for the animals because I'm afraid of drawing the cat-killing coyotes :(.
We don't have coyotes in town that I have ever seen, but we do have foxes that prey on cats.
DD has a few coyotes on the Sheep Farm, which is only 3 miles from here. They find one or two sheep mauled at least every month, and especially in the warmer climate. They are allowed to shoot them only because of the livestock. They are very elusive though.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Your story is my recurring dream/nightmare, Cooksie!

I love cats, but one at a time.

Several times a year, I dream I find a kitten, and pick it up to take it for adoption. Then another appears. And another and another and then in litters .... I start to panic, because I don't know how I can handle all of them.

It's an anxiety dream, I'm guessing.

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
We don't have coyotes in town that I have ever seen, but we do have foxes that prey on cats.
DD has a few coyotes on the Sheep Farm, which is only 3 miles from here. They find one or two sheep mauled at least every month, and especially in the warmer climate. They are allowed to shoot them only because of the livestock. They are very elusive though.

That's why I would never fare well on any kind of farm. Mauled sheep would break my heart.

Your story is my recurring dream/nightmare, Cooksie!

I love cats, but one at a time.

Several times a year, I dream I find a kitten, and pick it up to take it for adoption. Then another appears. And another and another and then in litters .... I start to panic, because I don't know how I can handle all of them.

It's an anxiety dream, I'm guessing.

Lee

Lol - Sometimes I wake up from a dream and think...where the hell did that come from. Yours does sound like anxiety, maybe over losing your Bud :(.

As for today...

We're supposed to have some ice tonight, tomorrow, and Tuesday. The weather alert says that you shouldn't drive unless it's an emergency. It kills me that y'all up North have a ton of snow, just blow, plow, go on about your business, and we're advised to stay home :rolleyes: .

I had to make a grocery run just to make sure I'd have something to eat if we lose power. Around here a little ice usually means limbs snapping and downed power lines. I think everyone in East Tx, except me, is making chili...all the chili meat and most of the ground beef had vanished.

Embryodad

Just finished cleaning up some snow. I had a young man help me shovel. The 4 - 5 inches of snow was heavy. I didn't feel like having a coronary today, because I have to cook for DD's ( the baby's ) 37th birthday celebration dinner. All seafood. ....

Can't wait to eat.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Spent about 3 hours in my skid steer pushing back and piling snow where it drifted bad. Was stuck for a minute with my truck yesterday it was that bad. Unless we get some major snow that should last till spring. Temps are dropping fast and should hit -8 tonight. Monday only warm to 5 and even colder at night. Today was the warmest day in 3 weeks around here but it did not last long.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
we got a heat wave going - 40'F above today!

following -4'F with 8" of snow, topped by (due to warming) freezing rain....

Cooksie

Site Supporter
One down, more to go...this was actually pretty easy:

BathroomMirrorFrame.jpg

I did the mirror frame above :huh:. The best thing about mine is that it was way cheaper :D. This is what they can look like when you get someone who actually knows what he's doing to make/hang them:

Framed%20Bathroom%20Mirror.jpg

You can see the reflection of my new shower doors. I'm loving the way they look, but I'm certainly not loving cleaning them. They're a pita to keep looking nice.

I'm so ready for spring. I've already made a list of about 10 things that I want to get done when it warms up. Begonia that jumped in my basket at Sam's the other day - I'm such a sucker for house plants:

Begonia.jpg

Embryodad

I did the mirror frame above :huh:. The best thing about mine is that it was way cheaper :D. This is what they can look like when you get someone who actually knows what he's doing to make/hang them:

Framed%20Bathroom%20Mirror.jpg

You can see the reflection of my new shower doors. I'm loving the way they look, but I'm certainly not loving cleaning them. They're a pita to keep looking nice.

I'm so ready for spring. I've already made a list of about 10 things that I want to get done when it warms up. Begonia that jumped in my basket at Sam's the other day - I'm such a sucker for house plants:

Begonia.jpg
cooksie... it really looks great. Love the earth tones. The yellow floral brings out the beauty of the neutral hues.

Yes! The shower doors are a pain. You know what Tina's Aunt Helen does? They have shower doors that are 20 years old, and they are like brand new.
She has a shower liner that she clips on a bar on the inside for when her and husband shower. When someone comes over (company) , she just unhooks the liner from the bar, and the doors are clean, and she just washes them maybe once a month.

It's great. because the water and grunge doesn't get in the slide track.
They make a folding doors, but they still are a pain in the neck. We had them...twice!

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
just loafing around -
in support of the vegetable soup (which is a work in progress....)

Attachments

• DSC_3612.jpg
    DSC_3612.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC_3613.jpg
    DSC_3613.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 201

Embryodad

Today....I was again, chopping ice in the driveway and where it froze solid to the ground.

Then I unloaded the last 35 bags of wood pellets, and brought them into the garage and utility room. Having another ton delivered today. Just in case it doesn't warm up enough.
DD uses them also at her house, but they heat the whole home with their pellet stove!
Now I am exhausted, and at least I worked up an appetite! That lasagna Tina has baking, better watch out! yummy!

Saliha

I made long walking in the local forest and saw the first catkins of this year:

6ujmqxugl4me.jpg

The spring is coming. :smile:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
cooksie... it really looks great. Love the earth tones. The yellow floral brings out the beauty of the neutral hues.

Yes! The shower doors are a pain. You know what Tina's Aunt Helen does? They have shower doors that are 20 years old, and they are like brand new.
She has a shower liner that she clips on a bar on the inside for when her and husband shower. When someone comes over (company) , she just unhooks the liner from the bar, and the doors are clean, and she just washes them maybe once a month.

It's great. because the water and grunge doesn't get in the slide track.
They make a folding doors, but they still are a pain in the neck. We had them...twice!

Shower liner is a great idea. I'll have to give it a shot.

Beautiful picture, Saliha!

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
here's a secret to serenity with glass shower/tub doors:
lemon oil.

lasts 4 wks plus - wipe on/about - nice scent - no build up - soap scum & hard water doesn't stick/stain/crust up. use on glass, rubber gasket, aluminum framing.

alas, does not do much for aluminum track gunk build up....

Embryodad

I buy Rain-X and DD or Tina sprays it on after they scrub the tile, and doors when we had them. We now have the shower curtain and liner. When the liner gets yucky, I just change the liner....D O N E !

Oh! BTW... that Rain-X works great in the Bowl of the Commode. "Prevents the tootsie rolls from sticking to the sides!"

Moxie

I keep a small squeegie in the shower. After a shower, just a quick swipe down the glass and I never have scum or water spots. My class doors are now 12 years old, and they look new.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
I am on sit down duty all weekend. Been fighting several health issues lately but yesterday my pacemaker hammered me twice in about 40 seconds and took me to my knees the second time. Since the heart doc is out of town for the weekend I have to be good till Monday morning.

Embryodad

I am on sit down duty all weekend. Been fighting several health issues lately but yesterday my pacemaker hammered me twice in about 40 seconds and took me to my knees the second time. Since the heart doc is out of town for the weekend I have to be good till Monday morning.
Yeah! .... By all means, take it easy for a few.
I had issues the other days when I was shoveling the heavy wet snow and ice.
I got so out of breadth, and I know the circulation was low. No Chest Pain, but heavily exhausted. Then the next two days, I had to rest, and elevate my right leg because it was swollen at the ankles and higher up the calf. I guess I had too much fluid built up?
It is down a lot now, but still the ankle is puffy. Edema the cardiologist calls it I think!
Plus I'm 70 y/o.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
lemon oil on glass doors :shock: - I would have never believed this, but you're right CM :).

It sounds like it would make an oily, smeary mess on glass. However...I read up on it, and lots of people swear by it. Some say it works best if you wipe it off with a dryer sheet.

I've been using a squeegie, Moxie. It has worked so far, but I'd rather not have to squeegie every time.

Take care of yourself, MM. Zapped twice in 40 secs sounds no bueno.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Sitting at the computer, thinking about spring, which it should be just around the corner real soon!! Hah!! :applause: :bounce:

Attachments

• Spring is around the corner!.png
    Spring is around the corner!.png
    420.8 KB · Views: 182

Embryodad

I somehow knew that SOMEONE would like that!! Hah!! :bbq3:

These are the Springs I Want to see come around the corner. Around the corner of my mouth!!:readytoeat::yum:

These are the big ones we ate when we were kids.... Today, they make them small. I called the Lady at Ronzoni, and explained that somewhere along the line, the die for the macaroni shrunk. She said, in a nasty haste, NYo Nyo Nyo..... We have the same dies for years. Snort Snort Snort!!!:huh: Tina got me these at the Italian Importing Store!

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
chit-chat w/ my Mom. my nurse took me to lunch. to a bar, now. when 'bridesmaids' is over.