Sustainable Food At Emory U- And Lots Of Fish Tacos

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
42.jpg

Students and staff from Emory University Dining’s Green Team today tried to set the record for building the longest line of tacos in the world. Over 66 feet long, the tacos were made with tortillas, sustainable cod supplied by the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute, cabbage salad and salsa cruda. The recipe was developed by campus executive chef Michael Wetli.

33.jpg

Tacopalooza began shortly after noon, with tortillas donated by local producer Los Amigos overlapping on a U-shaped grouping tables big enough to seat the royal wedding party.

17.jpg

Record-making is serious business, so the tacos were counted and recounted. Here, Mollie Walsh, the executive chef for sustainability at Emory makes a pass through. Walsh said that fully 38% of all food served at Emory now is from sustainable sources. The goal is 75%.

5.jpg

“Hot fish!” chef Michael Lyle cried, as he placed the filleted cod — which had been dusted with chili, cumin, salt and pepper — onto the tortillas. Kitchen helper Galen Berry kept him in fish as he made his way down the line.

6.jpg

“We’ve got to keep the fish in the center,” Lyle said to his staff, “so we can fold the tacos.”

23.jpg

Chefs followed with scoops of lime/cilantro slaw and salsa cruda, and the tacos folded beautifully.

8.jpg

Before the students could descend on this linear feast, taco tabulators Jack Regan (left) and John Bertrand — chef at the nearby sustainable fish restaurant, Goin’ Coastal Seafood — gave the tacos one last count. They are charged with writing to the Guinness Book of World Records. As there is no previous record for touching tacos, it should be a shoo-in.

7.jpg

1, 2, 3…260! They all touch. Like vultures to carrion, the Emory student body descended on the taco chain.​
Senior Justin Kosloff told me his taco was “pretty good.” Did he learn anything about sustainability?​
“I actually didn’t know it was sustainable,” he admitted. “But that makes it cooler, I guess.”​

PanchoHambre

Very nice Sass. Those tacos look tasty and anything that helps get people thinking about food choice and where food comes from is great. I have been on a big local food thing lately. Living in PA we have such great farms It just seems silly to give your money to mega corporations and then be upset at the farms vanish and suburbs and walmarts grow. Trying to find the right balance between responsible choice and fanaticism is hard.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Very cool, Sass!

I have just recently discovered fish tacos, and, though I've liked all my iterations so far, am still learning what makes better ones.

I will use chili powder and cumin on my fish for my next batch!

Lee

Guts

I remember buying fish tacos in Ensenada, B. C. back in the 60s off of little pushcarts on the sidewalk by the dock. Two fish tacos for $.25. What a deal. And they were sure good. Corn tortilla with a deep-fried piece of fish, some shredded cabbage, and they made a white sauce out of mayonnaise and plain yogurt. hot sauce was your choice. As you just used a spoon from dishes on the cart.