The Franken-Pantry

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
That looks awesome Keltin!! I want some of that!! I just happen to have heavy cream, mushrooms, onions, burgundy wine, egg noodles, potatoes, potato flakes and broccoli!!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Your second Franken-Pantry dinner looks awesome! Just beautiful...and didn't that butter taste great on the broccoli?:clap::clap::clap:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Magnificent, Keltin! This is so neat...kinda like playing "Survivor" in the kitchen :yum:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
so if we could use vino, could we use vino vinegar.......
i'm a figuring that's a derivative.....

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
so if we could use vino, could we use vino vinegar.......
i'm a figuring that's a derivative.....

You could make vinegar from wine, but vinegar is different, so it has to be listed to be used. Just like butter is a derivative of cream, you either have to make the butter, or list the butter in the pantry to use it.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Sometimes you can’t see the forest for the trees. Potatoes…….French Fries and Fried Potato Skins.

DW peels potatoes the old fashioned way with a paring knife. Leaves rather thick chunks of skin. So, as I’ve done a time or two before, I grabbed those skins before she could toss them and fried them up for some yummy Fried Potato Skins.

Attachments

• skin1.jpg
    skin1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 133
  • skin2.jpg
    skin2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 125
  • skin3.jpg
    skin3.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 132

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks!!

As I always say, one woman's trash is another man's snack! :yum::yum::yum::yum:

Seriously, these are good, and if you peel the old fashioned way, it's definitely worth doing instead of tossing all that goodness! Such a nice little snack or side dish! You could even top a burger with some ranch dressing and these fried skins and have a wildy creative and tasty burger. Might do that with some buffalo or lamb meat soon. :w00t:

mhend

Thanks!!

As I always say, one woman's trash is another man's snack! :yum::yum::yum::yum:

Serioulsy, these are good, and if you peel the old fashioned way, it's definitely worth doing instead of tossing all that goodness! Such a nice little snack or side dish! You could even top a burger with some ranch dressing and these fried skins and have a wildy creative and tasty burger. Might do that with some buffalo or lamb meat soon. :w00t:

I use a knife and cut towards me. Is that the old fashioned way? :yum:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I use a knife and cut towards me. Is that the old fashioned way? :yum:

YEP!!! If you ain't using one of these, then you are old school! Nothing wrong with that though (other than it's frightening to see that sharp blade move toward one's hand like that). Makes for more snacks, and technically, if you do fried skins, it's less wasteful. The peelings from a peeler are too thin and can't be used for much.

Attachments

• VegetablePeeler.jpg
    VegetablePeeler.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 137

mhend

I can't believe I have never thought to do that with the peelings. I'll be doing it now! It's funny, I use a peeler for everything except potatoes. It feels weird to use anything but my knife on that particular vegetable. Learned it from my grandmother (didn't have peeler's in her day). LOL!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here are the fries that were made with the potatoes that I got the skins from. I cut the potatoes into fries, then par-boiled them for 12 minutes to soften them. I rinsed them and chilled them in cold water for 30 minutes, then fried them.

Attachments

• ff1.jpg
    ff1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 122
  • ff2.jpg
    ff2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 115
  • ff3.jpg
    ff3.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 121
  • ff4.jpg
    ff4.jpg