Possibles in the pantry

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
We have shown our spice racks and some are quite extensive.

I have been thinking about my Kitchen pantry. It is small. It is intended to be my "Bag of Possibles" in other words, the things that I may need on the spurr of the moment for a particular meal. Cornstarch, some tomatoes, Flour, etc.

Over time it has come to hold those great food ideas that I had in the grocery store that when they got home, I really didn't want. It is time for a clean out. The low use items can go to the basement pantry which has a lot of shelf room.

What would you consider to be the core things that should be there.

I am thinking of flour, cornmeal, sugar, maybe some biscuit mix. What else?

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
............... I keep a few cans of cream soups for quick-dish week-night meals, as a short-cut to sauces.........I keep asparagus, chicken, and celery.......... won't use cream of mushroom, tho' ; yuck !

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have canned goods, dried pasta, rice, dried beans, bulk oils (by mine in gallon cans), etc. Basically anything that doesn't need refrigeration and will keep a long time.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
rice (assortment)
bread crumbs (unseasoned)
rolled oats
soups and stocks
tomatoes and tomato paste
corn (corn and mushrooms are about the only canned veggies i use)
mushrooms
flour
sugar
cornstarch
pasta and noodles
crackers
cornmeal
tuna
olives

i know there are more but i don't want to go look.

Lefty

Yank
Sea or Kosher Salt
peppercorns
Sugar
Flour
Cornstarch
Tomato Sauce
Cans of mushroom
Petes Hot Sauce
coffe beans
olive oil
peanut oil
honey
lipton tea
soy sauce
terriaki sauce (sp)
garlic
cinnimon
nutmeg
rice
a few jars of my favorite salsa
cans diced tomato
jar goya red sofrito
envelopes goya sazon
variety of cans of beans (black, pinto, pink, red and small white)
Mexican seasonings (taco, chili powder, chipolte flakes...)
Cajun seasoning
variety of pastas
oriental sauces (hunan, black bean, plum sauce, garlic sauce...)
crackers
soups cans
chicken stock
beef stock
red pepper flakes

Cooksie

Site Supporter
In addition to what has already been listed, I always, always have an assortment of Knorr's sauce mixes: hollandaise, bernaise, pesto, peppercorn gravy, aujus, etc. I also always have a can or two of salmon for making salmon croquettes. The croquettes are so easy to put together, and I always have what's needed on hand. Hubby loves them too!

Lefty

Yank
Tuna cans
spare jar of roasted red peppers
spare jar of pimento stuffed olives
budget wines for cooking
mayo
ketchup
mustards (yellow brown & dijon)
relish
bread crumbs

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
This is a great thread, Andy! I really should do more thinking about this. Right now, the things I always have on hand are:
pasta & plain pasta sauce
rice
ramen
flour
pancake mix
canned baked beans
canned chicken
canned pineapple and peaches
angel food cake mix
sugar cookie mix
Ritz crackers
chicken stock
Rotel
bread crumbs

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
We keep the usual suspects in here...

P1020250.jpg

Then this is my baking pantry in the utility room that has my bulk bins of flour, grains, cake mixes and booze...

P1020251.jpg

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Good thread! I don't have a pantry right now I just use one of the only surviving cupboards to house my stuff. Mostly bread crumbs, flour, cornmeal, corn starch, baking soda, sugar, brown sugar, molasses, honey, oatmeal, rice, barely, dried beans, and tons of those condiment packs you get when you order out LOL.
When I someday get to re-model my kitchen, a pantry cabinet is a requirement!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
My pantry........ I have a variety of rices, flours, sugars, condiments that don't require refrigeration. I also have an assortment of progresso soups. I have flavoured oils (olive, pumpkin, truffle, etc) flavoured vinegars, wines. There are some not oft required spices. I have tinned clams, tuna and escargot. Ginger beer. Crackers. Pasta. Cereal, including McCain's steel cut oats. I also have a foil covered brick.
There are some other assorted and sundry items in there, as well.

I don't see the pantry as holding the ingredients of a meal...I see the pantry as holding the possibilities to an event.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Now I thought I was the only one that actually owned and used a foil covered brick. Great tool isn't it when you need some weight on something.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Wanted to give you karma, Joe....but you got enough already, it would seem, hehe.
Yes, foil covered bricks are the best weights around!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Wanted to give you karma, Joe....but you got enough already, it would seem, hehe.
Yes, foil covered bricks are the best weights around!

No problem Vera and you are right I sure don't need any more karma. The brick also makes a good tool to get picky eaters to eat, like kids. :yum:

Deelady

My pantry isn't as well stocked right now as I usually like to keep it but I still have a good amount of basics:

Chick/beef broth
pastas
rice
Bisquick
flour all purpose and whole wheat
baking supplies (powder, soda, flavorings, cornstarch ect.)
pasta sauce
dried cherries
shake N Bake
sugars
variety of vinegars
a bag of imported African ingredients you can not easily find in the U.S (bitter leaf, cocoyam, dried crawfish, fire bird pepper, and a few African Herbs)
variety of sea salts (hawaiian, green tea, large crystals)