Tuesday 12/6/2011 Whatcha got cookin'?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Boneless pork loin in some fashion, broccoli and rice or taters.

Whatcha got cookin'?

Ronjohn

I think we're making spaghetti tonight. At least, that's what I was told we were going to have.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
We have a slight chance of snow tonight, so I figured that I should probably swing by the grocery store this afternoon. So, no telling what's for dinner.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I've got a whole chicken thawed. I'll probably bake it. Not sure what the sides will be yet.

Leni

DH is talking about getting some Kobe beef patties. I'll grill that along with mushrooms stuffed with Trader Joes roasted pecan and blue cheese dip. That also makes a great sauce for steaks. Sides will be mashed potatoes and a salad.

If not the patties then it will be ham with potatoes au grautin and a salad.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i have a baggie of the linguine i cooked last nite & put chix tenderloins- (i think they're chix! failed to label them) in the fridge awhile ago to see if they would thaw tonite. except there's also a plethora of types of potato, so if not the linguine, those'll be my starch. i have those hanover petite brussels to roast, & some other veggies to pick over in the drawer- so dinner's kinda a wait-&-see deal this evening. i'll post when dinner's cooked later on

Embryodad

It was a easy supper tonight...
I'm playing with Dough Balls in my stomach, but I'll get through it.

I wanted spicy seafood and beef & sausage gumbo..but DW Pouted.

She wanted pierogies..so pierogies it was.
I filled my dish 3 X's.

48ab4f87.jpg

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
leni, your dinner sounds heavenly! (both of 'em!- have you made 1 yet).

jimmy, i squashed the craving for pierogies only last night after like weeks of hankering & now i'm hungry for them again, lol. thanx! so sad the polish place that sold them closed. mmmmm-

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Boneless Pork loin chop nicely seasoned and pan-fried in bacon fat, baby red & Yukon potatoes, quartered mushroom caps & onion seasoned and pan-fried in bacon fat, microwave steamed broccoli and red & green butter lettuce, raw broccoli, quartered mushroom caps, black olives and vine tomato tossed salad with homemade dressing.

120611_pork_chop_potato_broccoli_salad.jpg

Nancy-MD

Sounds good, everyone.

Jimmy and Peep, looks yummy!

I made lentil and split pea soup, and cornbread.

Attachments

• 12.6.11 lentil and split pea soup.jpg
    12.6.11 lentil and split pea soup.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 160

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Sounds good, everyone.

Jimmy and Peep, looks yummy!

I made lentil and split pea soup, and cornbread.
Thank you Nan.

Your soup looks so good!! I may have to make pea soup and corn bread very soon.

Ralphanator

Spicy Thai Shrimp Soup!

Whenever were in Vegas we always make a point at eating at Noodles in the Bellagio my wife favorite is the Spicy Thai Shrimp Soup .My wife asked me if I could make it for her. I told her the problem is the broth I taste lemongrass shrimp cilantro chili paste and other spices but I wasn't sure how to reproduce it.

So I went online and found this recipe and its 99% there and that close enough for me!

Tom Yum Goong (Spicy Thai Shrimp Soup)

Galangal, a root similar to ginger, kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, and fish sauce give this soup authentic flavor. Substitute ginger if you can't find galangal, and use 3 (2-inch) lime rind strips in place of the leaves. Reserve the shrimp shells; you'll need them to make the broth. Serve with rice noodles, if desired.

Photo by: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Jan Gautro
YIELD: 4 servings
COURSE: Soups/Stews
Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp
9 1/2 cups water, divided
1/2 cup chopped peeled fresh galangal (about 2 ounces)
1/2 cup (2-inch) pieces peeled fresh lemongrass (about 4 stalks)
6 fresh or frozen kaffir lime leaves
1/2 cup canned straw mushrooms, quartered
2 tablespoons roasted red chili paste (such as Thai Kitchen)
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 Thai chiles
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
6 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted unsalted peanuts
4 lime wedges
Preparation

Peel and devein shrimp, reserving shells. Combine shrimp shells and 6 cups water in a Dutch oven; bring to a simmer. Cook 1 hour. Strain broth through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Combine broth and remaining 3 1/2 cups water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Add galangal, lemongrass, and kaffir lime leaves to pan; simmer 10 minutes. Strain broth mixture through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Return broth mixture to pan. Add mushrooms, chili paste, fish sauce, and chiles; bring to a boil. Stir in shrimp, green onions, and cilantro; cook 3 minutes or until shrimp are done. Discard chiles. Stir in fresh lime juice. Ladle 2 cups soup into each of 4 bowls; sprinkle evenly with peanuts. Serve with lime wedges.

Embryodad

leni, your dinner sounds heavenly! (both of 'em!- have you made 1 yet).

jimmy, i squashed the craving for pierogies only last night after like weeks of hankering & now i'm hungry for them again, lol. thanx! so sad the polish place that sold them closed. mmmmm-
Yeah!... I like the saurkraut filled ones.
"T" gets them at churches that the Ladies make them. We have one Ukranian Church by us, but they are too heavy (doughy).
The best ones "T" gets is in PA at this Russian Orthodox church. Her church was sold that she used to get them when she was a little girl, but these are pretty close. Still though, the dough is a little thick.

She makes them herself, and they are light and thin dough. That's the way I like them.

I think she's going to PA tomorrow to get the Home Made Kielbasi in Duryea, PA at Komensky's Market. That's if it doesn't snow.The Pocono's is supposed to get 3 inches of slushy heavy snow.

Embryodad

Boneless Pork loin chop nicely seasoned and pan-fried in bacon fat, baby red & Yukon potatoes, quartered mushroom caps & onion seasoned and pan-fried in bacon fat, microwave steamed broccoli and red & green butter lettuce, raw broccoli, quartered mushroom caps, black olives and vine tomato tossed salad with homemade dressing.

120611_pork_chop_potato_broccoli_salad.jpg
Boy..that chop and potatoes look so great peep.

We had a lovely meal this evening. Wegmans market had lovely fresh skate wings for sale that I dredged in seasoned flour & sauteed in some olive oil & butter. Tossed in some fresh lemon juice & capers to make a quick sauce, & served them with some steamed fresh green & yellow wax beans. And a green salad, of course. Delicious!!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
We had a lovely meal this evening. Wegmans market had lovely fresh skate wings for sale that I dredged in seasoned flour & sauteed in some olive oil & butter. Tossed in some fresh lemon juice & capers to make a quick sauce, & served them with some steamed fresh green & yellow wax beans. And a green salad, of course. Delicious!!
skate wings?

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
they're a fish, peep. your dinner looks good.

nancy, yum!!!!!

jimmy, that's how i like 'em- thin. that same polish place was on my block, so i'd get kielbossy & other sausages of thier own there, & stuff i couldn't read in the least. sux u hafta travel 4 k'bossy like that

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
they're a fish, peep. your dinner looks good.

nancy, yum!!!!!

jimmy, that's how i like 'em- thin. that same polish place was on my block, so i'd get kielbossy & other sausages of thier own there, & stuff i couldn't read in the least. sux u hafta travel 4 k'bossy like that
Thank you luvs.

Skate wings are fish? With wings? Flying fish? HMMMMMMMMMMMMM Thanks

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you luvs.

Skate wings are fish? With wings? Flying fish? HMMMMMMMMMMMMM Thanks

anytime, peepz- yeah. they have wingz- they market those usually & not the rest of the fish. i highly doubt they fly, lol. they may propel themselves w/ them to swim

Attachments

• IMG_1476471.jpg
    IMG_1476471.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 141
skate wings?

"Skate" is a fish in the "Ray" family (you know, the big "Manta Rays" that you see in underwater movies, flapping their "wings" to move through the water?). The wing is the only edible part. Here are pics of the whole fish through the process of how it looks at the market. The bottom pic is what they look like when you buy them - no skin, cartilage/bones.

http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/sf_skatewz.html

They have a lovely delicately mild flavor - sort of like filet of Sole, & take very well to the same simple preparation you'd use for fish like that. In addition to being delicious, they're also very reasonable in price - I paid $6.99/lb.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Jim54 is having problems posting pics so I am posting it for him :applause::clap:

Biscuits and Sausage Gravy

Attachments

• biscuits_sausage_gravy.jpg
    biscuits_sausage_gravy.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 125

Jim54

Jim54 is having problems posting pics so I am posting it for him :applause::clap:

Biscuits and Sausage Gravy

Thank you so much for posting this. Not sure why I can't.

This is breakfast favorite of mine. It is extremely simple. As a single guy, it does not make sense to make a mess in the kitchen just to make biscuits and gravy from scratch. So, forgive me for taking shortcuts. Peep, I know you would make it all from scratch ;)

INGREDIENTS
5 Pillsbury Homestyle Grands Buttermilk Biscuites
1/2 Cup of White Gravy/Breakfast Gravy (I use Williams Country Gravy but any brand will do)
2 Cups of Water
1/2 lbs of Italian Sausage (Mild)

Method
  1. Brown the Italian Sausage in a frying pan. Sausage should be in big chunks.
  2. Make biscuits per label instructions
  3. Make gravy per label instructions
  4. Once the gravy is done, add the Italian Sausage
  5. Cut biscuits in have and place of a plate. Ladle out a generous amount of gravy onto each half
  6. Enjoy with your favorite breakfast beverage

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

This is breakfast favorite of mine. It is extremely simple. As a single guy, it does not make sense to make a mess in the kitchen just to make biscuits and gravy from scratch. So, forgive me for taking shortcuts. Peep, I know you would make it all from scratch ;)

INGREDIENTS
1/2 Cup of White Gravy/Breakfast Gravy (I use Williams Country Gravy but any brand will do)
2 Cups of Water

Method
  5. Cut biscuits in have and place of a plate. Ladle out a generous amount of gravy onto each half
YUM Jim. I have never made this. I will have to give it a try.

Embryodad

INGREDIENTS
2 Cups of Water

Method
Welcome Jim54.....

Your Recipe sound great. I have the time, but I am N O T a biscuit maker.
I would go the same route.

DW just made some kind of sausage & egg casserole (like a quiche) and used the Pillsbury crescent rolls (triangles in the blue can). It was ok..but she did it in the toaster oven too close to the heat element, and burned the crust. The crust is my favorite thing.

Welcome to the forum. It's a great place, and comes with really great people.

You have to join a photo place like Photobucket (I use that cuz it's easy to use)
I just copy the code...and Paste it on the composition page where I would like it, and when I click Pre-View it will show. If it doesn't show on the Pre-View it won't appear on the post. when you click Post.

It drove me nutz in the beginning when I tried, but once you get the hang of it...it does work.

(((JIMMY)))

Embryodad

It's ALL gone so I guess it wasn't that bad! LOL :piesmiley1:It looks good to me.
Ha Ha Ha ....DD and DW and DH were the Pick-eee's

We just dug it out of the casserole pot.
T was P _ _ - ed... she said you are like a bunch of animals the way you eat.
Maria said,"we are not a bunch Ma, we are just Me and Dad animals!" hahahaha

Leni

Biscuits and sauage gravy are a favorite of mine also. I use the frozen Pillsbury biscuits. Instead of Italian sausage I use something like Farmer Johns or Jimmy Deans. Jims Market makes a great sausage that I love to use for this.