Pork Picata

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
pork tenderloin is frequently on sale - buy one get one free - and they freeze well.
they come two tenderloins to a package -
for two, half of one tenderloin is plenty; so I trim, cut & freeze the two wholes in four pieces.
the picata reference is to thickness; I've cut thicker pcs and pounded them thin - I think just cutting them thin to begin with is a better approach. one tip - these are still semi-frozen. out of the freezer into the fridge to thaw for roughly 24 hrs; leaves the center still softly frozen.

so the unveil:
DSC_2153.jpg

slicing
DSC_2154.jpg

slices get a light salt&pepper; on a plate; back in fridge for 2 hrs
DSC_2156.jpg

a flour bath - tiny pinch of salt, onion powder + garlic pwder to taste
DSC_2158.jpg

the frying - these take 50-70 seconds per side, adjust heat to get slight browning but overcooking is not recommended. they come out fork tender - no knife required.
DSC_2160.jpg

the batch
DSC_2162.jpg

plated; home made spaetzel & veggies.
I set off to do a nice lemony sauce, but turned my back a the flour in the pan burned,,,, so none of that.....

DSC_2164.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That pork looks luscious, Chowderman!

As does the spaetzel (sp?). How much of a PIA is that to make?

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
if you've got a good gadget, it's duck soup.

beat eggs into water
add water to salted flour

squeeze thru plate into boiling water
scoop out & drain.

this is what I've found to be the best tool for the job:
can be hard to find in stores - you can see why....

Attachments

• spplate.jpg
    spplate.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 135

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How cool is THAT, ChowderMan?!

That would be a wonderful thing for me to look for at yard sales!

I wonder if Sherman-the-gadget-man has one! :wink:

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
well, over the years I've tried many many gadgets for making spaetzle.

only two have worked:
a Cuisipro ricer type deal - comes with three plates - the largest holes work but loading & cleanup are a bear (the dough is pretty 'sticky'....)

the plate/lid is the other - saw it Emeril many years back. hard to find in stores, often out of stock on-line. found one this AM:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Kuchenprofi-Spaetzle-Scraper-Stainless-Steel/dp/B000NLLG7C[/ame]

it's also quite handy as a 'vented' pot lid - reducing stock, stewing chicken, etc.

there are dozens of "genuine" spaetzle recipes - here's mine, very 'classic'

350 grams AP flour
fat pinch of salt
into 1 cup of cold water, beat 3 large eggs
(nutmeg is a classic seasoning, DW doesn't care for nutmeg so I leave it out)

most directions say to remove from the boiling water as soon as they float - I find leaving them in 3-4 minutes past that makes a better noodle.

this makes about six servings - more than we need for one setting - so....
as I scoop the noodles out of the water into a colander to drain, I add a couple thin pats of butter to melt & coat, toss to coat...

we eat some "fresh" - the remainder get spread in thinnest possible layer on a cookie sheet and go into the freezer over night. break up the thin layer and store in a freezer bag. the butter helps to keep the noodles 'separate' the frozen stuff is thence not one solid mass, and you can sprinkle out a portion later - which I 'refry' to reheat and brown slightly.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
OK you folks sold me. Never had spatzle found the lid online. It's on order.

I buy the loins too and like them. Just found pork sirloin tips at Costco.

Since I eatost of my meals Alone now I make one up and get a couple meals and snacks out if it.

Having g lost the weight, it screws up enjoying a meal or snack.