What's cooking NCT? 11.22. - 11.28.2015

Saliha

Traditional Finnish meat soup:

8HibyXJ.jpg

is boiling in the saucepan.

Pork shoulder, potatoes, root vegetables, leak, salt, black pepper and lovage. Great food for the cold winter days.

:WitchBrewsSmiley:

Johnny West

That looks great and will make mine when I get back from Utah.

Tonight's Pheasant Supreme leftovers will go to Utah.

Saliha

Finnish peasoup:

smzF1CP.jpg

with rye bread is very popular combination in here. The traditional dessert for the peasoup meal would be pancakes and strawberry jam but I have to settle for a cup of coffee and donut (filled with raspberry jam - not bad at all).

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Saliha, your pea soup looks chunkier than mine. I wish I had some right now!

Would you please post your recipe for the soup, and your photo, in a new thread in the Soups forum?

Lee

Johnny West

I love pea soup and bought 10 pounds of peas when in Zillah last summer. I like the chunkier soup two, with onions and ham.

Yesterday was all fast food and when we got to Matt's he'd ordered Pizza Hut Pizza's and their salad. The salad was was excellent as was the pizza.

I'm not sure what's on tonight's menu.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OMG, Johnny! They look magnificent!

Even Ruth's might pale next to those babies!

Lee

Johnny West

Ruth's was good but have had better steaks. I should have sent it back but was being a nice guy - I said i wanted it blue rare - they made it Pittsburgh but edible. That's twice that's happened to me and have learned my lesson. The usual sides were good and my shrimp cocktail was excellent as were the salades ordered. Matt was taking notes for things to do a but different with his salades. The waitron comped me a cheese cake that was bi enough for everyone.

With that said, I'd like a steak at the Grub Steak but will save that for next trip.

The BBQ ribs were excellent and Matt ate the last two after we got home from dinner last night!

Saliha

My soup week continues, today I made Sausage Borscht - fast Finnish version of the original Borscht. Lee, now I remembered - recipe is in the Soup section with images.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I had an egg salad croissant sandwich and a garden salad with sweet onion dressing.

Johnny West

Johnny, I thought your son was a vegetarian.

Lee

I have 3 sons. Peter is the vegetarian - not sure what he had for dinner as they had two prime ribs... long story. I fixed him a Quorn faux turkey roll and veg dressing last weekend before leaving.

I'm with Matt in Utah. When we were in Martha's Vineyard he left for Utah and a permanent job. Matt is a big meat eater as is John A.

Tomorrow will head back to Washington and warmer weather. It's been snowing most of the day but is fine powder and not accumulating much at all.