Griswold & Cast Iron Cookware Association

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting web site:

Griswold & Cast Iron Cookware Association

The G&CICA has the following purposes:

• Create a forum for enthusiasts to share information about Griswold Manufacturing Company, other cast iron cookware manufacturers and their products;
  • To facilitate and promote research;
  • To pursue actions to halt the manufacture and distribution of fakes and reproductions;
  • To provide an official and recognized service for appraisals of cast iron cookware and related items; all leading to the increased enjoyment of collecting "Griswold" and other cast iron cookware.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Do you have a link????:mrgreen:

yep, click on Griswold & Cast Iron Cookware Association. Underline and blue on this forum is a link. Underline and purple is a visited link but that doesn't seem to work all the time.

Jim

Nica

I'll ck them out Jim. I just bought a Griswold #8 baster at an auction and need to know the best way to clean it up without damaging it.

I'll post these pictures here and then ck them out.

Attachments

• Griswold 1(600 x 339).jpg
    Griswold 1(600 x 339).jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Griswold 2 (600 x 339).jpg
    Griswold 2 (600 x 339).jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Griswold 3 (600 x 339).jpg
    Griswold 3 (600 x 339).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Griswold 5 (600 x 339).jpg
    Griswold 5 (600 x 339).jpg
    72 KB · Views: 129

joec

Gold Site Supporter
A couple of ways to do it. The first method it to simply clean it with an SOS pads or course scotch brite pads and soap. This should remove the rust and get it ready to season.

The other method I've seen done but have never tried it is to put a layer of course salt over the bottom of the pan and get it hot. At that point take a rag and rub it using the salt pretty much as sand paper.

You do want to avoid using sand paper for removing the rust or any kind of chemicals.

One you get the rust removed and it clean it will be time to season it. My way it to get some lard (found in any grocery store) and wipe down the inside and outside with it including the handles. Now put it on a rack with a tray under it and put it into your oven at between 350 deg and 400 deg for about an hour. Turn off the oven and let it cool down. Once cool simply wash with hot water (no soap). I have a Griswold my self that I've not had to do this too in 36 years. I simply wash it while the pan is hot with hot water and a plastic brush. Soap will take off the seasoning causing you to have to redo it. If seasoned correctly they truly are non stick.

Nica

Thanks for the tip. My wife is anxious for me to get it cleand up so she can use it. She said we would have to season it first, and your way sounds like a winner.

Locutus

Joe,

I can't get my wife to stop using dish detergent (And God knows I've tried :cry: ) and a scotch-brite on my cookware, so I've started spraying with "Pam" and warming the skillet before putting food in.

It works pretty well, although not as well as not using soap.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Dish washing soap is fine for stainless steel, aluminum (which I personally won't own) and copper (too expensive for me). It is also fine to do with enamel coated cast iron such as LeCreuset it just isn't good for steel pans such as woks, cast iron etc. Simply clean while hot with hot water and a scrub brush then dry and it is good to go. It has been done this way for hundreds of years with no ill health effects that I've ever heard of.

Locutus

Dish washing soap is fine for stainless steel, aluminum (which I personally won't own) and copper (too expensive for me). It is also fine to do with enamel coated cast iron such as LeCreuset it just isn't good for steel pans such as woks, cast iron etc. Simply clean while hot with hot water and a scrub brush then dry and it is good to go. It has been done this way for hundreds of years with no ill health effects that I've ever heard of.

That's the way I do it in the field, and it works for me. Problem is, if I wash the pots and pans at home that way, the little lady gets them out of the cabinet, and re-washes them with detergent! :(:( That's the way her mama taught her 50 years ago, and she won't budge on the issue!

Oh, well.......

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well I hope you don't mind seasoning it every time she does it then. Good luck with retraining her to do it right though I know how tough they can be to teach anything too that they didn't learn from the mother's. :smile: