What are you Baking today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Joe, you are a bread-baking savant!

Lee
That's not what DW was calling me when the first batch came out like crackers instead of bread.:mrgreen: I know better than to trust someone else's recommendation for time and temperature, because everyone's oven is different. The Internet recipe I tried first called for 475F for 20 minutes...our son took them home to use for dipping humus, so at least they didn't go to waste. Plus, they didn't have a lot of flavor to them. I then scaled down my tried & true honey whole wheat recipe, added the 10-grain cereal and literally "WATCHED" them bake thru the oven door until I thought they were done to my liking. If someone wanted a chewier crust and more color, an egg wash (using the whole egg) would do the trick. The oatmeal flake topping is optional. The store-bought ones had it on them so I just copied that for looks. DW like the soft crust so I used a milk wash of 2% because that's what we have in the fridge. I might try scaling down one of my rye recipes and see how those come out.

Now I have to buy a docker, because the fork is just too unpredictable. Plus, I can use it for pizza dough as well. I've got my eye on this one...

RoyalIndustries_ROYDD127.jpg

I need to call my local restaurant supplier and see if he has one in stock. More toys....

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Mocha Brownies

I used white whole wheat flour and walnuts and reduced the sugar by ½ cup. It could have used a bit more coffee flavor. Very good!

mocha_brownie_cut_022514_P1080443.JPG

Last edited:

Mr. Green Jeans

Peeps, how do you like baking with white ww flour? We've been using more and more ww and I like to compare the pors and cons of both. I still cant go 100% ww for some recipes because the dough is too coarse.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Peeps, how do you like baking with white ww flour? We've been using more and more ww and I like to compare the pors and cons of both. I still cant go 100% ww for some recipes because the dough is too coarse.
A slight taste difference but not enough to be significant. I haven't really noticed much difference in texture. I use it mostly for dredge, gravies, batter for asian dishes (sweet and sour and sesame chicken) and such not much for baking lately. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Those look really good Peepers.

I tried my hand at JoeV's honey wheat bread. I'm gonna get some smaller pans and see it they don't look better. I haven't cut into them yet so I don't know what the inside looks like. They sure do smell good though.

Attachments

• honeywheatbread.jpg
    honeywheatbread.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 133

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thank you Mama!!

The suspense is KILLING me!! Wheres the picture of the inside of those BEAUTIFUL loaves? I have butter at the ready!! :wow:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Sorry, I'll post them here too

Attachments

• honeywheatbread-2.jpg
    honeywheatbread-2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 118

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Sorry, I'll post them here too
That looks beautiful!! I love a nice dense loaf of bread. I hate having holes that let the butter etc fall out. That looks perfect to me Mama. I wish I was on my way to fla now so I could stop in for some toast!! Are you anywhere near richmond hills?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Nope, nowhere near the coast. You must be going down I95. I live just south of Atlanta off of I75.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Okay, I found another honey wheat bread recipe that I think is more along the lines of what I'm looking for and made some adjustments to suit my taste...I used butter instead of vegetable oil, used a little extra honey and added 1 Tablespoon of vital wheat gluten. I used the dough cycle on the bread maker this time. After the dough cycle was done, I formed it into a loaf and put it in a greased loaf pan, covered and let it rise until double. Baked at 400° for 30 minutes. It just came out of the oven and I brushed it with butter. It feels soft and light. It smells amazing. I can't wait for it too cool so I can see what it's like on the inside. :clap:

Attachments

• honeywheatbread.jpg
    honeywheatbread.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 103

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Okay, I found another honey wheat bread recipe that I think is more along the lines of what I'm looking for and made some adjustments to suit my taste...I used butter instead of vegetable oil, used a little extra honey and added 1 Tablespoon of vital wheat gluten. I used the dough cycle on the bread maker this time. After the dough cycle was done, I formed it into a loaf and put it in a greased loaf pan, covered and let it rise until double. Baked at 400° for 30 minutes. It just came out of the oven and I brushed it with butter. It feels soft and light. It smells amazing. I can't wait for it too cool so I can see what it's like on the inside. :clap:
That is beautiful!!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Mama, that HAS to be the most perfect loaf of bread I have ever seen. The butter will make the crust nice and soft. I can't wait to see inside...

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks y'all! The wait is over! Here it is and I must say, it is the BEST bread I have ever tasted let alone made! It's exactly what I have been looking for. I made the dough in the bread machine, shaped it into a loaf, let it rise again and baked. Next time I'll try it with the KA. I have a feeling when DH tastes this I'm gonna be making it pretty darn often :lol:. I posted the recipe on my website. Here's the link: http://www.mamas-southern-cooking.com/wheat-bread-recipe.html and here's the inside:

Attachments

• HoneyWheatBreadRecipe-2.jpg
    HoneyWheatBreadRecipe-2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 101

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thanks y'all! The wait is over! Here it is and I must say, it is the BEST bread I have ever tasted let alone made! It's exactly what I have been looking for. I made the dough in the bread machine, shaped it into a loaf, let it rise again and baked. Next time I'll try it with the KA. I have a feeling when DH tastes this I'm gonna be making it pretty darn often :lol:. I posted the recipe on my website. Here's the link: http://www.mamas-southern-cooking.com/wheat-bread-recipe.html and here's the inside:
That is beautiful Mama!! I don't have a bread machine. Do you think I can use my KA with the same recipe? BTW I buy the bread machine yeast in the bottle and use that without the bread machine. I don't see any difference.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks you Peepers. I'm gonna use the KA next time. It shouldn't make a difference.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That is beautiful Mama!! I don't have a bread machine. Do you think I can use my KA with the same recipe? BTW I buy the bread machine yeast in the bottle and use that without the bread machine. I don't see any difference.

If you are going to make this with your KitchenAid, you're probably gonna need to combine the milk, butter and honey in a saucepan and heat it to 110° F.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
CONGRATULATIONS MAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!:wow::wow::wow::bouncy:

I have to ask if your first loaf was made from my recipe or some other recipe? My recipe does not have any oil in it as mentioned above, and the recipe for this loaf is very close to mine.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Joe! The first time I used your recipe Joe from your website. This second time, I found this recipe for a single loaf: http://www.grouprecipes.com/54356/awesome-honey-wheat-bread.html. I made some adjustments to it by using butter instead of oil, milk instead of water (because I remember you saying milk would give the bread a softer crumb...see I was listening :wink:). I added a little more honey (from 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup) and added a Tablespoon of vital wheat gluten.

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I think that this new recipe has twice the amount of yeast and honey as yours. I don't know if that made the difference or adding the vital wheat gluten did. I didn't use any water either.

Last edited:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I think that this new recipe has twice the amount of yeast and honey as yours. I don't know if that made the difference or adding the vital wheat gluten did. I didn't use any water either.
Another crumb-softening trick is to use water from boiling potatoes. It also gives a little different flavor as well. I can hardly wait till you make Italian, Rye and the ultimate in decadent flavor...SOURDOUGH! There's no turning back now.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I just finished making these blueberry banana muffins. They turned out really well. Just slightly sweet.

Attachments

• bluberry-banana-muffins.jpg
    bluberry-banana-muffins.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 84
  • blueberry-banana-muffins-2.jpg
    blueberry-banana-muffins-2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 82

Guts

mama those look so good. I shouldn't even be looking at stuff like this . I am really trying to stick to my diet but those muffins looks so good I want one

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Guts and Peepers. I tried to make them as healthy as I could, oats, applesauce, bananas, blueberries...

I'll try to get the recipe posted tomorrow Peepers. I frying some chicken right now :lol:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thanks Guts and Peepers. I tried to make them as healthy as I could, oats, applesauce, bananas, blueberries...

I'll try to get the recipe posted tomorrow Peepers. I frying some chicken right now :lol:
:thankyou: BISCUITS?

Status
Not open for further replies.