Fried Shrimp Po-Boy

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Fried Shrimp (and Oyster) Po-Boys are very popular down South on the Gulf Coast. Peggy is in Louisiana, so she’s probably had these Po-Boys before. The Shrimp Po-Boy is a minimalistic sandwich. It’s not heavily loaded and instead relies on the flavor of the fresh fried shrimp to come through and make it a winner.

Fried Shrimp Po-Boy

Ingredients

1/2 lb large Shrimp, peeled, de-veined, and butterflied

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup Milk
1 beaten Egg
2 Tbsp Cajun Seasoning
Salt and Pepper to taste

Oil for frying

4 Hoagie/Sub Rolls
Mayo
Cocktail Sauce

1 large Lemon (optional)
Lettuce and Tomato (optional)

Procedure

Heat the frying oil to 375 degrees.

Mix egg and milk in a small bowl. In another bowl, mix flour, Cajun Seasoning, Salt, and Pepper.

Dip the cleaned and butterflied shrimp into the milk and egg mixture. Next, dredge it in the flour. If desired, double dip these for a thicker crust by going back into the milk and egg mixture and then again into the flour. Fry the battered shrimp until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes, and drain on paper towels.

Meanwhile, butter the top side of a Hoagie/Sub roll, and then brown lightly. You can add garlic powder to the buttered top before browning if you like. On the bottom side of the roll, slather on a thin layer of Mayo. Now place several shrimp on the bottom slice.

Slather a thin layer of cocktail sauce on the top roll, and then place over the shrimp to complete the sandwich. Serve with Fries and Hush Puppies.

Notes

I serve these with lettuce, tomato, and lemon wedges on the side. Some people like to drizzle lemon juice over the shrimp (which is really good). Some also like to top with lettuce and tomato, but I prefer mine simple and without the lettuce and tomato.

I also like to serve Malt Vinegar with this as I LOVE Malt Vinegar on my Hush Puppies…..and it’s pretty good on the Shrimp Po-Boy as well.

Pictures

Step_1-26.jpg

Step_2-27.jpg

Step_3-23.jpg

Step_4-21.jpg

Step_5-16.jpg

Step_6-15.jpg

Step_7-11.jpg

Step_8-9.jpg

Step_9-7.jpg

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
First time I ever had one of these was on our trip to NOLA, fell in love with them immediately!!
Looks great man, gonna be hard to beat!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
looks awesome...the first time i had one of thse was also in N.O.La...i couldnt eat it all...it was huge...

i have a bag of shrimp that needs to be cooked and i found its use... i have never had luck with the batter portion and yours looks awesome Keltin

points to you