Ground Beef Jerky - Jerky Shooter

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Ingredients
1 pound extra lean ground beef (or turkey)
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper (more for hotter jerky)
4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup​
1/2 teaspoon salt

Instructions
Blend seasonings and mix well into meat. Put into container with tight lid and refrigerate at
least 2 hours, stirring once in a while. Roll small amounts between two sheets of waxed paper
or plastic wrap into rounds about 1/16-inch thick.
Dry in dehydrator, turning once, for 3 to 4 hours at 145 degrees F to 155 degrees F. Or place
on cookie sheet in oven and turn to lowest heat possible. Turn once.​
Yield: 12 servings

lilylove

Just took some ground lamb out... going to give this a try tomorrow!

I have a dehydrator do you like that method or the oven better?

lilylove

Bam... I have this cooking in the oven now.

Used a little less liquid than called for since the lamb was kind of fatty.
Just had a few sample bites... VERY VERY VERY GOOOD!!!

I'm almost tempted to eat it it just as is! DELISH!!!

Deelady

oooh I can't wait!! I have a pound of lamb and a pound of ground beef to choose from!!!

How do you store it afterward Bam??

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Just took some ground lamb out... going to give this a try tomorrow!

I have a dehydrator do you like that method or the oven better?

sorry just caught the responses now..

i like the dehyrator better...more of a set it and forget about it until it is done.

oooh I can't wait!! I have a pound of lamb and a pound of ground beef to choose from!!!

How do you store it afterward Bam??

i store it in ziplock bags in the fridge - not that it lasts very long in my house..lol

Wow jerky made from ground beef, huh? Pretty cool!

yup been making it for a long time this way.. most times around here it is much cheaper to make it out of ground beef than something like round steak or roast..

just google jerky shooter...or hamburger jerky...or watch this video..lol

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq-u8rEpf2g[/ame]

lilylove

lol...sorry no photos... but here's a semi final report.

I made two batches.

1st batch I rolled out quite thin. It's done cooking (did the oven method) took about three hours and you do have to keep peeking at it. Tastes wonderful! LOVE IT... but it does seem to fall apart pretty easily.

2nd batch is a little thicker and is still in the oven. I'm hoping it keeps in one piece a little nicer.

We both like the flavor a lot and I plan
on trying it on some venison that we have in the freezer some day soon. The venison is not ground just sliced thin.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Haven’t tried ground beef jerky yet, but I do full meat jerky all the time. Mostly in the dehydrator, but a few times I did it in the oven by placing the top rack as high as it would go, and the bottom rack as low as it would go.

Place a cookie sheet on the bottom rack to catch drippings. Take your marinated strips of meat (deer, beef, buffalo, bear, etc.) and run a toothpick through one end. Once all the meat has toothpicks, hang them from the top rack by positioning that toothpick through the top rack’s grates and turn it so that they rests horizontally across that rack tines. All meat should be hanging freely.

Turn the oven on to 150 degrees, and place a wooden spoon halfway down the door to keep the oven door open by 2” at the top (this way the heat stays around 140 or so inside). Walk away for 6-8 hours (depends on thickness of meat). After that time, you have perfect jerky. Let cool in the open for 30 minutes to one hour, blot with towels and bag it.

lilylove

I like the idea of hanging it Keltin... the lamb at least had lots of juices flowing before drying up.