Bacon Brittle

Deelady

Bacon Brittle

5 slices of good quality bacon
1/4 cup water
1 stick butter
lg pinch salt
1 cup sugar

1. Line a baking tray with a silpat, or oil it very well.
2. Crisp 5 pieces of bacon in a skillet or a broiler and drain on paper towels. Break or chop them into 1/4” bits and set aside. Don’t go too small, because you want them to have personality in your mouth. Use a smoky bacon, ideally lightly cured. Mine had Niman Ranch bacon in it.
3. Place in a heavy saucepan, in this order: 1/4 cup (63g) water, 1 stick (115g) butter, a large pinch of salt, and 1 cup (200g) sugar.
4. Over medium-high heat, cook till the mixture reaches 285F, stirring often. In practice, this means that you cook it until it’s a good toffee colour, about the same colour as the old tan m&ms. I’m not kidding about the stirring, though.
5. Pull it off heat, mix in the bacon bits, and pour onto the baking sheet. Spread quickly to about 1/4” thick, and let cool for 2 hours.
6. Using a hammer or the handle of a large knife, break the toffee into shards. This is best accomplished by whacking it through a folded paper towel.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Bacon? Bacon? Did somebody say Bacon? Oh my...salty and sweet!!! Thanks Dee!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Good Night! Bacon Candy? Is this possible? Oh......oh.........I'm so looking forward to ruining my dinner!!! :lol:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
did somebody say BACON?????

a woman after my own heart... want to get married? oh damn we already are..lol:yum::yum::yum: