Cleaning Out Your Pantry!

I'm not sure if this falls under the catagory of food safety, but I'll throw it out there/here.

Getting ready for the Holidays & New Year, I started cleaning out my pantry -- checking expiration dates, & tossing herbs/spices etc. that I replenish once a year (or more). Besides canned goods, I also keep several pastas (in sealed containers), couscous, rice etc. I found a pinhead-size bug running around. Grossed me out, to the point where I dumped almost everything in the trash.

I lined my pantry shelves with contact paper years ago, & wondered if this may have caused the problem. I planned on replacing same.

Since we are approaching a New Year, lots of Holiday cooking/baking, a suggestion is to go through & clean out your pantry & check expiration dates. Toss out the old herbs & spices & start fresh - before you do your Holiday cooking.

Last edited:

High Cheese

Saucier
That's been on the back of my mind for a couple weeks now. The only problem is, the DW does alot of baking so IDK what's what in THAT department. Besides what's above my stove I have one of those generic spice carousels, one of those pre-loaded jobs. I replace that every year regardless of whats left. I definately need to go through what's above my stove though. We pretty much shop 'as needed', so the fridge is mainly storage for sauces and some staples like carrot, celery, etc. Most of the fresh food we buy is consumed within a couple days of buying it. The pantry needs to be cleaned out and re organized. I did it (I think) in the spring, but it's do for another go around. I also want to go through old cooking equipment and toss what we don't use.

That's been on the back of my mind for a couple weeks now. The only problem is, the DW does alot of baking so IDK what's what in THAT department. Besides what's above my stove I have one of those generic spice carousels, one of those pre-loaded jobs. I replace that every year regardless of whats left. I definately need to go through what's above my stove though. We pretty much shop 'as needed', so the fridge is mainly storage for sauces and some staples like carrot, celery, etc. Most of the fresh food we buy is consumed within a couple days of buying it. The pantry needs to be cleaned out and re organized. I did it (I think) in the spring, but it's do for another go around. I also want to go through old cooking equipment and toss what we don't use.

Check the flour, as well - for baking, making sauce/gravy etc. Only thing that is above my stove is a built-in microwave & vent. I don't keep food over the stove. Cleaning out the fridge is always a good idea. I dumped the generic spice carousel, as I buy the spices I use, & fresh herbs. Before you do your holiday cooking & baking, my suggestion is to go through your pantry, dump it, & buy fresh. My freezer is packed too. I'll be going through that, as well.

ETA: Don't forget to change your batteries for the smoke alarms, & change the furnace filter. ;-)

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I grow many of my own spices and herbs and dry some for use during the rest of the year if it won't grow year around. Those that I don't grow I buy though they rarely last more than a couple of months around here. My pantry the only thing that stay any length of time is dried beans but even that usually won't last a year. I don't have a thing in mine that has been there more than 5 months max which is canned goods that will keep for years. So it is basically replenished every few months regardless. The only thing stored above my stove is glass bowls and storage containers.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
We routinely clean out the fridge, and just cleaned out the pantry a couple weeks ago. We did it about a year ago, and still filled a garbage bag with outdated things. We try to keep as much as possible in containers with sealed lids, and have never found a single insect in 17 years in this house. Flour? I hope none of you think flour lasts long enough around here for the bugs to even FIND it, much less make themselves at home.:yum::yum: