hiding taste of kidney beans

musiclvr56

I am a beginner cook and make a vegetarian minestrome soup in a crockpot-beans, diced tomatoes, kale, carrots, onions, spices and I put water on the top I have been using canned kidney beans which I don't love, but want to continue to use them- just read you can puree them. How do I do this? If I put the beans in a blender is the liquid in the can enough or will I need water? It's actually the texture of the beans I am not fond of. If the pureeing is not the answer, is another kind of bean I can use that has a different texture? Thanks!

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I'm not the strongest vegetarian cook in the kitchen, but perhaps a few things that may help....

the blender will do the puree nicely. I would drain off about half the liquid and start the puree - you can always add liquid if / as needed. the bean puree will thicken soup rather a lot - you may want to do some small experimenting before making up gallons of soup.

canned bean "handle" differently than dried beans - apart from the obvious 'dry' bit. if you use dried beans you'll probably find the texture a bit firmer. whether this is good or bad depends on your own tastes.

there's a lot of beans to choose from:
http://www.foodsubs.com/Beans.html