Authentic Chicken and sausage gumbo

Cajun cook

A Cool front pass through today so my wife cooked a gumbo getting down to 55 tonight. Lol.

1 whole chicken cut up
1 onion
1 bell pepper
3 links of smoked sausage
3 stalks of celery
4 big table spoons of roux
3 cups of white rice cooked
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413335598.238823.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413335610.325646.jpg
Here we can buy roux already made. To make it... In a frying pan and a lil vegetable oil to med. heat add a lil flour and stir till dark brown color add flour or oil as needed to form a paste. Stir constantly til dark

In a big pot (stock pot) bring 4 cups of water to a boil then add roux (about 4 table spoons) stir till roux is melted let boil slow for 30 min. Add cut up sausage now.

After 30 min. To an hour add chicken and other ingredients. Once water comes ba to a steady boil cook for 45 min. And your done.

Pour over white rice and enjoy!
Add salt and red pepper to your taste. Cajuns like it spicy. And we don't measure seasoning lol.

Keep water level over chicken during cooking.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oooo, that looks great, CajunCook!

I would love to find a jar of roux like that!

Thanks!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Yum, Cajuncook, I love gumbo and yours looks great!

I've been meaning to try the oven roux or the microwave roux but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Q-Sis, you can buy that roux at Wal-Mart around here.

Shermie

Site Supporter
A Cool front pass through today so my wife cooked a gumbo getting down to 55 tonight. Lol.

1 whole chicken cut up
1 onion
1 bell pepper
3 links of smoked sausage
3 stalks of celery
4 big table spoons of roux
3 cups of white rice cooked
View attachment 19104View attachment 19105
Here we can buy roux already made. To make it... In a frying pan and a lil vegetable oil to med. heat add a lil flour and stir till dark brown color add flour or oil as needed to form a paste. Stir constantly til dark

In a big pot (stock pot) bring 4 cups of water to a boil then add roux (about 4 table spoons) stir till roux is melted let boil slow for 30 min. Add cut up sausage now.

After 30 min. To an hour add chicken and other ingredients. Once water comes ba to a steady boil cook for 45 min. And your done.

Pour over white rice and enjoy!
Add salt and red pepper to your taste. Cajuns like it spicy. And we don't measure seasoning lol.

Keep water level over chicken during cooking.

I never even KNEW that roux came in a jar already made!! I've always made my own from scratch for sauces, gravies and whatever else have you.

And yes, I've been wanting to make gumbo for some time now, but never did it! I got the chicken, but no seafood or okra. I want to try it with chicken & shrimp. And a can of tomatoes.

I've seen Emeril Laggasse do it many times on his show Emeril Live, and I like the way that he did it!!

I think I'll make some next week!! :clap:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
CC, what about okra and file?

Do you ever add either?

Lee

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Yum, Cajuncook, I love gumbo and yours looks great!

I've been meaning to try the oven roux or the microwave roux but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Q-Sis, you can buy that roux at Wal-Mart around here.

Now you'all have me going - gotta check the local stores for Cajun spces. I used to do some Cajun cooking but it's been awhile. I'm starting to salivate. :)