Stuffed Cabbage with Cranberry-Tomato Sauce

This is on my to-do list. I've made stuffed cabbage, but I like the idea of using Savoy cabbage, preparing it in the slow cooker, & the whole berry cranberry sauce. I'm thinking of adding the raisins to the beef mixture, using cooked rice, & just the whole-berry cranberry sauce for the sauce (no tomatoes etc.). Cabbage for thought.

Stuffed-Cabbage-with-Cranberry-Tomato-Sauce_recipemain.jpg

Stuffed Cabbage with Cranberry-Tomato Sauce
Serving Size : 6

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1/3 cup uncooked parboiled converted rice
1 large egg
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
12 Savoy cabbage leaves -- *see Note
16 ounces whole berry cranberry sauce
14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes -- with onion and garlic
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

Mix first 6 ingredients in a bowl. Spoon a slightly rounded 1/4 cup of mixture on bottom center of each cabbage leaf; turn in sides and roll up. Stack in cooker, seam sides down. Top with remaining ingredients.

Cover and cook on low 7 hours or until cabbage is soft and meat mixture is cooked through.

"http://www.womansday.com/Recipes/Stuffed-Cabbage-with-Cranberry-Tomato-Sauce.html"

*The crinkled leaves of savoy cabbage are quite soft and pliable, so precooking is unnecessary. Cut the hard rib from each leaf. If savoy cabbage is unavailable, freeze a head of regular green cabbage at least 24 hours. As the head thaws, the leaves should become soft and peel off easily.