3-5 portobello mushrooms
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs -- panko
1/4-1/2 cup parmesan cheese -- finely grated
2 Tbsp. parsley -- finely chopped, fresh
1/2 tsp. Cayenne or Paprika (optional)
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
3 eggs -- lightly beaten

Preheat oil in a deep-fryer to 350 F. Remove gills and stems from mushrooms and trim the edges off. Slice into 1/4-1/2" strips.

Combine panko (or bread crumbs), Parmesan cheese, parsley, (cayenne or paprika) and salt and pepper. Dredge mushrooms in flour, then egg wash and finally in the panko.

Working in batches, place mushroom slices in the hot oil and fry 3-4 minutes, until golden brown. Drain on a paper towels.

Serve "fries" with marinara sauce, Horseradish Dipping Sauce (equal parts horseradish and sour cream), Honey Mustard or Thousand Island dressing.

Portobello Fries.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh wow, that looks awesome! I love fried shrroms and will definitely being using this recipe soon. Thanks! :thumb:

Deelady

oooooh those looks delish!!! I'm not usually one to buy fresh mushrooms but those would inspire me to!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Those look wonderful, CC! Fits right in with the Mushroom Showcase this week!

Nice job!

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
WOW!! I want them!! Please post this in Showcase - Mushrooms! This will be an awesome entry!!

Wanted to mention, you don't need a deep fryer. The Shrooms can be made in a skillet (in batches) in hot oil - or oven baked with a drizzle of oil.

Q's post re eggplant "fries" reminded me of portobello fries. I think this could be easily adapted. The "fries" can be served as an appetizer, or as a side to steak etc. Enjoy.

QuirkyCookery

I love doing this with wild mushrooms, but silly me, never thought to do it with ones I can find in the grocery store. /facepalm