What's Cooking, NCT? Sunday, 02-08/2015 / Saturday, 02/14/2015.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I think that I'll make some more Braised Beef in Beer Gravy, and have it over rice, along with a vegetable today! :piesmiley1::eating2: :bounce:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Decided to switch gears and make some Hoppin' John today instead. ;) :wink:

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Going out for a ride (teaching DD2 to drive). Maybe grab lunch somewhere and some light grocery shopping. I have a package of pork ribs that will be turned into Chinese BBQ ribs at some point today. For dinner I have a ham steak. Not sure if it will be served with veggie and tater, or with over easy eggs or maybe western omelet and home fries. BUT there will be homemade biscuits or corn bread.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's the pot of Hoppin' John!

Just got done not too long ago. Having it with some pulled pork! :piesmiley1::eating2::bounce:

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 289

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Will probably make some over easy eggs to dip the sausage bread in.

Embryodad

Tina went shopping in PA today. She was at the restaurant supply, and picked up ground beef, and then some Italian hot and sweet sausage.

So then she brought home pizza for supper. Then a couple dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

I made egg salad, but the pizza over ruled over that!....That's ok, egg salad sammiches for lunch tomorrow! (*burp*)

Embryodad

Tina made a nice chuck roast / carrots / onions / celery / w pan gravy.
Mashed potatoes.
Son Jimmy and DIL came over after work. It was fabulously good.

Had Krispy Kreme doughnuts for dessert.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Going out for a ride (teaching DD2 to drive).

Good luck with that! It can be quite harrowing. I'll never forget sitting in the back seat while my older sister was learning to drive :shock:. When she finally got the hang of it, she bought a stick shift. We hopped for months :yum:.

I made some Lazy Man Cabbage Rolls and have eaten that for the last two nights. Tonight is going to be shrimp.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Trying out my new Pauli Never-Burn 7-qt Stock Pot.

I'm making some marinara Sauce for spaghetti and meat balls!

So far, it is living up to its promise for never scorching or burning the sauce!! The apartment smells like an Italian restaurant or a pizzeria!! Hah!!:piesmiley1::eating2: :bounce:

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 252
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 246

Embryodad

Burn the sauce, and you may as well flush it !

I was making pizza sauce a couple weeks ago, and in the kitchen, but distracted playing on the computer..... burnt the onions that I laboriously minced super fine.
Dumped it, and started all over again.

I have a friend that was outside sipping wine and enjoying the spring air, but had a pot of ( huge Pot ) spaghetti sauce with meat balls,
and sausage, and he thought his wife was inside stiring the sauce. Well come to find out, dear wife was next door jibber jabbering with the lady. The sauce meat burned at the bottom. He tried to salvage the unburned portion, but the burnt smell was still in the rest of the sauce. The kicker, was he was having people over for dinner. He wound up buying sauce and meatballs from a Italian restaurant to still have the planned spaghetti dinner. Obviously he was furious.

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Awe, that's sad! After all that hard work preparing it also!!

Looks like you can use the never-burn pot also, but it is not cheap! The size that I bought costs a whopping $145!! But it is worth it! :weber: :bbq3:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'm putting half of this sauce in the freezer, so that I won't have to make it the next time that I want some! :weber::bbq3::wink:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Can you post a pic of one? Is that what you used and the sauce still burnt?!!

I think I've seen one before. :weber:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I'm putting half of this sauce in the freezer, so that I won't have to make it the next time that I want some! :weber::bbq3::wink:
I put my sauce in 1-quart freezer bags. 2 Cups of sauce (16oz.) in each bag is enough for a pasta dinner for me & Mama. I also make a couple 20 oz. bags for when we had a 3rd person for dinner. I freeze the bags flat on a cookie sheet, then they stack nicely in the freezer.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Panko crusted baked Parmesan chicken with steamed broccoli and mashed cauliflower with Parmesan & Mascarpone cheese. Definitely a low carb meal that was very filling. Oh, homemade chicken gravy as well.

Attachments

• Dinner 021215.jpg
    Dinner 021215.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 242

Shermie

Site Supporter
I put my sauce in 1-quart freezer bags. 2 Cups of sauce (16oz.) in each bag is enough for a pasta dinner for me & Mama. I also make a couple 20 oz. bags for when we had a 3rd person for dinner. I freeze the bags flat on a cookie sheet, then they stack nicely in the freezer.

Thanks!

What I'M gonna do is let the sauce get really cold in the fridge, and tomorrow, I'll put it in quart size vacuum seal bags, fill them halfway up, fold the tops over, tape them closed.

When the sauce is completely frozen solid, I'll vacuum seal the bags tightly closed, eliminating damaging air in the bags. This way, the sauce won't get freezer burned from any air being in the bags because there will be no air in them to ruin the sauce! :WitchBrewsSmiley: :weber:

Embryodad

Can you post a pic of one? Is that what you used and the sauce still burnt?!!

I think I've seen one before. :weber:

Here is one exactly like mine. The handle removes for placement under a bigger pot. :respect:

Never burn anything. Just as long as a low flame is used. I cook with gas.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Same with the pot that I got! Low or medium heat. never on high heat, or the pot will be damaged!! :ohmy:

Shermie

Site Supporter

Here is one exactly like mine. The handle removes for placement under a bigger pot. :respect:

Never burn anything. Just as long as a low flame is used. I cook with gas.

Here's the one that I've seen before. :bbq3:

Attachments

• Cast Iron Heat Diffuser Reducer.jpg
    Cast Iron Heat Diffuser Reducer.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 242

Embryodad

Completed spaghetti dinner! :piesmiley1::eating2: :bounce:
Looks like you have a load of meat balls to roll around there! Haaaa....beats rollin around Snow Balls; and which we know, you will have plenty of them around for a while!!

The grated cheese looks good. Is that a blend of a yellow / cheddar / white ??

Shermie

Site Supporter
Probably about a dozen or so.

I believe that's Parmesan cheese. It looks like a deeper yellow when sprinkled on top of the sauce. :bbq::piesmiley1::bonk:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Busy morning in the kitchen making sandwich thins & hotdog buns. While they were proofing, I cut up all the veggies for the pork stir fry for dinner.

Attachments

• IMG_3169.jpg
    IMG_3169.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_3168.jpg
    IMG_3168.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_3171.jpg
    IMG_3171.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 331

Embryodad

Busy morning in the kitchen making sandwich thins & hotdog buns. While they were proofing, I cut up all the veggies for the pork stir fry for dinner.

Joe, looks great! :wow:
Tina said, wow, nice looking pork meat. I told her, Joe uses pork steak cuts, and she said, well he could use lean pork loin chops.

Was I right about the pork ( butt ) steak cut?

My luck is on the loosing streak today. Must be the Friday the 13th thing!

I just tipped a hot cup of coffee on my lap while dunking coconut bars in it! Ouch! Hot stuff!!!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Joe, looks great! :wow:
Tina said, wow, nice looking pork meat. I told her, Joe uses pork steak cuts, and she said, well he could use lean pork loin chops.

Was I right about the pork ( butt ) steak cut?

My luck is on the loosing streak today. Must be the Friday the 13th thing!

I just tipped a hot cup of coffee on my lap while dunking coconut bars in it! Ouch! Hot stuff!!!
Yep, I only use the butt steaks where all the nicely marbled meat (flavorful, dare I say?) resides. Lean pork chops tend to be drier than a popcorn fart, in my humble opinion, and don't have much flavor. I COULD use the lean meat, but I won't sacrifice my reputation with "she-who-must-be-obeyed" for making flavorful meals. Ya gotta have pork FAT to get flavor from pork meals.

Tina will probably outlive both of us from healthy pork choices, but I know they'll have to wipe the smile off my face in my coffin because I loved my piggy based meals with piggy fat for flavor. I want to go happy, not missing the simple joys in life.

FWIW, the breads I made today had 2T of pork lard instead of butter. Mmmmmmmmm... :yum:

Embryodad

Yep, I only use the butt steaks where all the nicely marbled meat (flavorful, dare I say?) resides. Lean pork chops tend to be drier than a popcorn fart, in my humble opinion, and don't have much flavor. I COULD use the lean meat, but I won't sacrifice my reputation with "she-who-must-be-obeyed" for making flavorful meals. Ya gotta have pork FAT to get flavor from pork meals.

Tina will probably outlive both of us from healthy pork choices, but I know they'll have to wipe the smile off my face in my coffin because I loved my piggy based meals with piggy fat for flavor. I want to go happy, not missing the simple joys in life.

FWIW, the breads I made today had 2T of pork lard instead of butter. Mmmmmmmmm... :yum:
Thanks Joe!!.... I remember you saying that about the pork fat way back when.
Just remember....Jimmy always says "Fat always remembers fat!"...

My mom and Grandmother, always fried in Lard. Especially Meatballs. Lard in the Pie Dough too!

Last night, I was portioning Pork Butt Steaks that DW got at the restaurant supply in PA the day before. Gosh, they were beautiful. She braises them in tons of onions, and cooks them down and adds potato wedges the last 45 minutes. Oh So Good, and the fat just melts away, and the lean meat is so tender and tasty.

My DD's Ex used to take bread, and fry it in the leftover pork fat grease, and eat the bread. The bread would be sopping with the grease, and he just would sop it up; and we couldn't even look as he ate it.
I guess it's the same thing, when I dip bread in the sausage grease and eat it.