Summer Pasta Salad - Your Way

Cold pasta salads are one of my favorite dishes, especially during the Summer months. Do you have a favorite Cold Pasta Salad to share?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Peep's Pasta Salad (no mayo)

Pasted from <http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=235559#post235559>

Posted in the Salads & Salad Dressings Forum and is a TNT recipe which I have been making for about 25 years.

Peep's Pasta Salad (no mayo)

• 2 (approx 1.5 lb) large B/S chicken breast - cubed small
For the chicken marinade:

• Fresh oregano (chopped fine) or dry - to taste
  • Fresh parsley - chopped fine - to taste
  • Ground sea salt - to taste
  • Fresh ground black pepper - to taste
  • Oil of choice Oil (EVOO, canola oil, flaxseed oil or a combo of each) - enough to nicely coat cubed chicken (and a bit more if needed to sauté)
  • 2 large cloves Fresh garlic - chopped fine or grated - or to taste
Pasta and Veggies:

• 1 lb Wagon wheel pasta (or favorite pasta shape)
  • 1 (6 oz) can Pitted Black olives - drained & broken
  • 1 (13 oz) bottle stuffed green salad olives - drained
  • 2 large Fresh broccoli crowns - raw, cleaned and cut into medium pieces
  • 1 (10 oz) box Fresh mushrooms - raw, cleaned and sliced thick
  • 1 bunch Scallions - chop small white and green part
  • (1/2 lb cleaned, cooked and cooled fresh string beans - optional)
For the dressing:

• Oil of choice Oil (EVOO, canola oil, flaxseed oil or a combo of each) - to taste
  • Red wine vinegar - to taste
Dry spices (to taste) for dressing:

• Granulated Garlic powder
  • Onion powder
  • Goya Adobo seasoning (spice mix not the chilies paste)
  • Accent (or MSG) - optional
  • Ground Sea Salt
  • Ground peppercorn blend
  • Ground Hot red pepper flakes
  • Cayenne
  • Hungarian hot Paprika
Optional dressing ingredients (I have been using the Amore Brand tubes of paste but you can use fresh or dried herbs or canned/bottled anchovies if you prefer):

• Anchovy (paste) - to taste
  • Italian herbs - to taste
  1. Combine the marinade ingredients in container large enough to hold marinade and cubed chicken.
  2. Mix well.
  3. Add cubed chicken, stir well, cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
  4. Place chicken AND marinade in heavy pan (add more oil if needed) and sauté till completely cooked.
  5. Set aside to cool.
  6. Mix dressing ingredients (to taste) in a bottle (or bowl).
  7. Shake (or stir well) to combine and set aside to allow flavors to blend.
  8. Cooked pasta in salted water to desired doneness.
  9. Drain and cool under cold water.
  10. Clean and prep veggies.
  11. Place all ingredients in bowl large enough to hold and toss.
  12. Add dressing and toss well.
  13. May be served room temp or cooled.
Tastes even better cold the second day.

pasta_salad.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I love that Peeps.
You always post your recipes in a most awesome detailed manner, and the pics are gorgeous.
You said it tastes even better cold the next day.. much like your Sesame Noodles do.. I could eat those every single day.
Fab recipe. :D

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I love that Peeps.
You always post your recipes in a most awesome detailed manner, and the pics are gorgeous.
You said it tastes even better cold the next day.. much like your Sesame Noodles do.. I could eat those every single day.
Fab recipe. :D
Thank you so much Sass. Let me know what you think. I don't always add the string beans but they do taste good and make it a bit more healthy.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you so much Sass. Let me know what you think. I don't always add the string beans but they do taste good and make it a bit more healthy.
I am sure they do hun.
It's just another example of the wonderful recipes you've taken the time to come up with and share with us, and we do appreciate them so very much.:applause::flowers:

An easy "formula" I usually keep in mind for pasta salads is:

Pasta
Cheese (optional)
vegetables
Seasonings and/or herbs
Dressing

The dressing can be creamy or zesty (oil/vinegar), etc. I started using basil pesto as a dressing, & liked the results.

Adding a protein like fish (i.e. tuna, shrimp, salmon) or chicken, makes it a meal for me.

I don't always measure, but a simple Summer toss-together pasta salad I like consists of

Penne
cherry, grape or sun-dried tomatoes
sliced black olives (or capers - if you're a fan)
fresh mozzarella balls
diced onion -optional
basil or pesto

That's just the basic idea. Feel free to create your own.

The "pasta" bilities are endless.:chef:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I agree adding chicken (or other protein) makes it a meal. I added guacamole and chips and this was our dinner last week (I didn't end up eating all the chips because the guac tasted good mixed with the salad). Sometimes I just serve it next to or on top of a green salad.

062311_pasta_salad_guacamole.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I put together a pasta salad last night:

Penne
Norm's Vinaigrette
Tomatoes
Kalamata Olives
Artichoke Hearts
Feta Cheese

I'll try to get a pic later. Love that vinaigrette! Thanks Norm!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I put together a pasta salad last night:

Penne
Norm's Vinaigrette
Tomatoes
Kalamata Olives
Artichoke Hearts
Feta Cheese

I'll try to get a pic later. Love that vinaigrette! Thanks Norm!
Sounds great!! Can you post Norm's Vinaigrette here? Please. I missed it. Thank you Norm and cooksie!!

Carolina Cooking

I am planning on buying some low carb pasta today. I have had it before & didn' t like it. Dreamfields. 5carb.

I Like my Macaroni salad very much. Its loaded with veggies. everything I can eat .. Lets see if I like it with that pasta.

cucumber,celery,greenO,tomato,radish,sweet pepper.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Quoted from Norm's post in the 6/25/11 dinner thread:

This is the dressing with about a tablespoon added blue cheese mashed and mixed in and a pinch of fresh minced tarragon.
Dressing
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
1 clove garlic, mince
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely-ground black pepper
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil

.....End Quote

I just used the basic dressing since I was going to use feta cheese.

I followed the recipe to a "t" :mrgreen:. I even measured:encore:.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Quoted from Norm's post in the 6/25/11 dinner thread:

This is the dressing with about a tablespoon added blue cheese mashed and mixed in and a pinch of fresh minced tarragon.
Dressing
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
1 clove garlic, mince
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely-ground black pepper
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil

.....End Quote

I just used the basic dressing since I was going to use feta cheese.

I followed the recipe to a "t" :mrgreen:. I even measured:encore:.
Thank you!!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
You can add a whole new level of flavour by using unusual oils. I've got an italian orange olive oil, pumpkin seed oil, walnut oil, etc... If you add something that will compliment the oil you'll have an entirely new taste. I like to use cranberries when I use the orange oil. Blue cheese and beets goes nice with the pumpkin oil. Figs and walnut oil...

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I bought a bottle of walnut oil maybe 3 years ago and have never opened it.

Think it's still good?

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It could be good - or not.

The only way to know is to open it and smell it.

I'm scared. Come over here and do that for me, SS. :flowers:

Actually, I like CC's idea of using basil pesto as a sauce for pasta salad. I have lots of it!

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I'm scared. Come over here and do that for me, SS. :flowers:

Actually, I like CC's idea of using basil pesto as a sauce for pasta salad. I have lots of it!

Lee

LOL! It's not that bad. Oil gets a little rancid smelling - walnut oil would smell like stale walnuts. It's not gag inducing like sour milk or anything bad. You can do it!

On the other hand, a road trip to Boston...................:idea:

Beautiful, Cooksie. Greek-inspired pasta salads are a favorite here.

Q, a little basil pesto goes a long way, for me. Sometimes I mix it w/ a little bit of mayo & use it as a sandwich spread, as well. I would probably dump the walnut oil, after 3 years. I would also take into consideration as to how you stored the oil, but that's another topic.

Another favorite, for a crowd, are layered pasta salads, i.e. tortellini etc. I layer Mediterranean ingredients in a clear glass v-shaped bowl, & top it off w/ Tzatziki.

I prefer sweet vinaigrettes over salads w/o pasta, & maybe chicken. An interesting sweet dressing I came across was a vodka/citrus vinaigrette over an antipasto salad.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i don't much take 2 them, my Mom's fave is plain 'ol linguine salad. i may make one- cooksie, i luvvvvvv your one so! that i would make! :)

Deelady

GREAT looking and sounding salad Peeps! I love broccoli in pasta salads!

Lovely Cooksie!! Just my kind of flavors!

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
ok, this popped into my mind, not quite O/T & somehow suitable; it's a laff-
aunt joycee said,' you think i made too much linguine?' 'how much you make?!' (5 boxes') my Mom & i concluded they were those bulk boxes, they were those multi-meal ones, lol.
suffice 2 say, she needed 2 purchase a wading pool 4 most of that linguine salad, & there were vast amounts in the fridge

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
ok, this popped into my mind, not quite O/T & somehow suitable; it's a laff-
aunt joycee said,' you think i made too much linguine?' 'how much you make?!' (5 boxes') my Mom & i concluded they were those bulk boxes, they were those multi-meal ones, lol.
suffice 2 say, she needed 2 purchase a wading pool 4 most of that linguine salad, & there were vast amounts in the fridge
OH LORD!! :yum::yum: I almost wet myself laughing!! The first time I made mac salad I also cooked WAY to much elbows!! Thanks for the memory and chuckle Luvs!!

BTW the first time I made swedish meatballs they looked like bowling balls and the first time I made homemade raviolis only 1 fit on a regular size dinner plate!! LOL I have come a long way since those days.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thanks CC, luvs, Dee, and Peeps!

CC - I've never had tzatziki. It's on my short list to try. I did buy some Greek yogurt the other day and didn't really like it. It was Dannon, so I'll buy a better brand and give it another try.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
You can add a whole new level of flavour by using unusual oils. I've got an italian orange olive oil, pumpkin seed oil, walnut oil, etc... If you add something that will compliment the oil you'll have an entirely new taste. I like to use cranberries when I use the orange oil. Blue cheese and beets goes nice with the pumpkin oil. Figs and walnut oil...

i have the walnut & pumpkinseed ones. may make a pasta sad w/ 1 of them soon! haven't seen the orange olive oil as of yet, tho strongly figure it'll hit the shelves if it isn't already @ the olive oil bar & 'at, or another market district~ hm

laffing @ myself 4 my ditzy dame-ness (really, it's the keyboard, i didn't mean, that i'd 'make a pasta sad, lol, i meant 'pasta salad'. not a freudian slip! more like a piece-of-chit keyboard. i'm leaving that there so yinz can get the laff, too, before u read this portion!~)

Last edited:
i have the walnut & pumpkinseed ones. may make a pasta sad w/ 1 of them soon! haven't seen the orange olive oil as of yet, tho strongly figure it'll hit the shelves if it isn't already @ the olive oil bar & 'at, or another market district~ hm

laffing @ myself 4 my ditzy dame-ness (really, it's the keyboard, i didn't mean, that i'd 'make a pasta sad, lol, i meant 'pasta salad'. not a freudian slip! more like a piece-of-chit keyboard. i'm leaving that there so yinz can get the laff, too, before u read this portion!~)

LOL, luvs. I knew you didn't want to make a sad salad. If you like sweet, do you still have the pear vinaigrette? (Did I remember that correctly? The heat is shrinking my brain:hammer:)

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
lol, yep, ain't taken the seal from either bottle of vinegar yet! i would be upset if i made my salad sad, hehe