Some phone calls mean more than others....

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I was chatting on the phone with a couple today who are good friends of mine up in snowy Wisconsin. The husband, Pete, spent his last Winter in Naples back in '98-'99. He was having trouble walking and his condition kept getting so much worse that they were unable to return the following year. It took the Mayo clinic a year and a half to finally diagnose his ailment as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, ALS, Lou Gehrig's Disease. Nobody survives the disease this long but Pete is about the toughest man I've ever known and even though he has been immobile for the last five years he continues to live. My direct conversation was with Pete's DW but Pete was listening in on the speaker phone. As we were talking I saw a friend of theirs walking toward me. The man was extremely busy at the time, was the center of attention in the group of people around him, and his mind was concentrating on the business at hand. As he approached I sort of cut him off and while handing him my iPhone said "Someone in Stevens Point would like to talk to you." He knew immediately who it was and with a smile on his face accepted my phone and started the kind of conversation that only close friends share, filled with support, good wishes, love, and an understanding that it was really good to be communicating. I was tickled to death that Pete and his friend were able to share a little time together under most unusual circumstances.

The busy guy is Steve Stricker, number three ranked golfer in the world, right behind Tiger (ugh) Woods and Phil Mickelson. I volunteer as a marshall on the 9th tee box at the Shark Shootout golf tournament every year and was blessed with the unique opportunity to put my friends and Steve together for a few minutes because none of us know how much longer Pete will be with us.

I watched 24 professional golfers drive the ball off that tee today and Steve's was the best of them all, and he did it with a smile on his face.

Me, I'm still smiling. Their good day made mine.

Attachments

• SDC10954Cropped.jpg
    SDC10954Cropped.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 89

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Excellent Buzz.

Tiger isn't playing in the shark shootout then. I wasn't sure as the kid needs to grow a bit of backbone and get on with life regardless of how stupid he is.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Excellent Buzz.

Tiger isn't playing in the shark shootout then. I wasn't sure as the kid needs to grow a bit of backbone and get on with life regardless of how stupid he is.

I think the Shootout is beneath Tiger, Joe, or used to be anyway. Yesterday there were three women, all friends, each carrying a sign that read "I slept with Tiger Woods". And so it goes. I don't care if he wants to screw up his life, but I hope he breaks every one of Nicklaus's records before he gives up the game.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have never really cared what people like this do in their private lives and that goes for presidents of the United States also. I just want to see him play golf as he is the best I've seen in all my years of watching it. As for the others if a man doesn't have the guts to cheat on his wife he doesn't have the backbone to be president of the US. These people aren't choir boys with a few exceptions, Jimmy Carter comes to mind folks and how did that work out. It also figures that Clinton mess with the only Jewish girl on the planet that gives head but can't get out a stain (just joking guys).

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Steve Stricker put the gentleman back in the sport.

I agree with that as Stricker is a class act as was Nick Price. Both of these guys where always willing to talk to fans and great attitudes about what they do, play a game for a pretty good living. There are a few others too just can't think of them at the moment.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
My man is in the lead with one day to go. Woo hoo.

Steve Stricker and Jerry Kelly fell out of the lead for most of the day before rebounding nicely at the end of the Shark Shootout's second round. Stricker birdied No. 18 to finish a run of five birdies in six holes to get the team to 13-under 131 for a one-stroke lead at Tiburón Golf Club at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That's wonderful Buzz. That put a lump in my throat just reading about it.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
The Cheeseheads win:

Steve Stricker & Jerry Kelly - 26 under par

Green Bay Packers - winners today as well.

Woo hoo!!!!!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I don't know how I missed this thread, Buzz, but I loved it. How wonderful that such a nice guy like Stricker won!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I don't know how I missed this thread, Buzz, but I loved it. How wonderful that such a nice guy like Stricker won!

You got it right, FM. Tune into NBC right now - it's on tape delay for the next hour and a half. You might see me on the 18th tee, right side of the screen.