Leftover Coals when Grilling/Smoking

What do you do about your leftover coals when grilling/smoking?

• Snuff the coals and save them for later.

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Let them burn completely out.

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • I don’t use charcoal.

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

I’ve heard of people that will close the vents on their grills/smokers to snuff the coals and save what is left for later use. I’ve never done that and just let it burn out. Which can be kind of wasteful when you’re doing a fast cook for burgers or steaks.

So, what do you do? Let it burn out or snuff it for later use?

homecook

I’ve heard of people that will close the vents on their grills/smokers to snuff the coals and save what is left for later use. I’ve never done that and just let it burn out. Which can be kind of wasteful when you’re doing a fast cook for burgers or steaks.

So, what do you do? Let it burn out or snuff it for later use?

I close the vents and snuff the coals also. I then only have to use 1/2 the amount of coals the second time around. I've been doing this for years and it's worked for me. lol

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
If using a chimney, do you put the leftover coals on top or bottom?

I may have to try this as it is really wasteful when cooking a steak or other small items that are done fast.

homecook

I push my leftover coals to the side and start my chimney. When they're ready to go I cover the leftover coals with the new coals to start them up.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
If using a chimney, do you put the leftover coals on top or bottom?

I may have to try this as it is really wasteful when cooking a steak or other small items that are done fast.

its kinda messy but i just put on a pair of old gloves... i put a fresh layer of charcoal on the bottom of the chimney so that the smaller pieces dont fall through, then put my unburned used stuff on top of that..

FooD

It depends on which grill I'm using. My large grill is not air tight so there's no way that it can snuff out so there's always some wasted charcoal.

My tiny Char Griller can completely snuff out the coals after using it to cook a couple or three steaks which may not even take 10 minutes.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Initially, I had lots of coal waste for that very reason of simply letting them burn out...
And no, I have no interest in putting them out for later use. I eventually got very good at judging just what I need for burgers or steaks, rarely having overmuch waste any longer....and knowing I'm going to need almost 2 bags to smoke a 20# turkey.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Initially, I had lots of coal waste for that very reason of simply letting them burn out...
And no, I have no interest in putting them out for later use. I eventually got very good at judging just what I need for burgers or steaks, rarely having overmuch waste any longer....and knowing I'm going to need almost 2 bags to smoke a 20# turkey.

you are?...lol
how big of bags of charcoal are you using Vera?

i have never used that much charcoal to smoke a turkey... keep your heat at around 300*F in the cooking vessel... if you need help let me know...

17lb turkey smoked for around 5 hours

Readyforrest.jpg

Sliced.jpg

Love2"Q"

i am pretty good at knowing how much i need for what i am cooking ..
but i never thought about saving left over coal ..

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i am pretty good at knowing how much i need for what i am cooking ..
but i never thought about saving left over coal ..

i never use to until i started playing with my UDS..

i load up the charcoal basket. on a 4-5 hour cook i still have enough leftover charcoal to do at least another 8 hours...

charcoal is so expensive here that you have to save money where you can.

Love2"Q"

i never use to until i started playing with my UDS..

i load up the charcoal basket. on a 4-5 hour cook i still have enough leftover charcoal to do at least another 8 hours...

charcoal is so expensive here that you have to save money where you can.

really .. i get 10lb bags of royal oak lump for 4.97 at wal mart ..
sometimes its 5.97 .. but normally not ..
and for kingsford i can get it at the wholesale club for 12-14 bucks
for two 18lb bags .. BGE lump is kind of pricey but its just
royal oak ..

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
you are?...lol
how big of bags of charcoal are you using Vera?

i have never used that much charcoal to smoke a turkey... keep your heat at around 300*F in the cooking vessel... if you need help let me know...

17lb turkey smoked for around 5 hours

Readyforrest.jpg

Sliced.jpg

Ya know...I've never used a smoker or smoked anything but after seeing all of these pics that you and Keltin keep posting, I'm just gonna have to learn! :applause:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Ya know...I've never used a smoker or smoked anything but after seeing all of these pics that you and Keltin keep posting, I'm just gonna have to learn! :applause:

easy as making cornbread Mama... lots of easy to use smokers/Q'ers on the market today that put out some very tasty food.. if you want help deciding which one to get that best suits you or need any help with smoking, let us know... i like helping out as much as i do actually Q'ing

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
really .. i get 10lb bags of royal oak lump for 4.97 at wal mart ..
sometimes its 5.97 .. but normally not ..
and for kingsford i can get it at the wholesale club for 12-14 bucks
for two 18lb bags .. BGE lump is kind of pricey but its just
royal oak ..

i wish...

we buy 18lb Royal Oak briquettes for 8.97 a bag... Kingsford is $10 for a 10 lb bag if you can find it...

the lump is 8.97 for a 10lb bag of Royal Oak

so i will continue to snuff my charcoal..lol

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I've got to get DD's wedding out of the way first and then I'll be ready to start a new endeavor and you can bet that if I have any questions, I'll be asking you or Keltin!

Love2"Q"

damn .. we have a really good BBQ store here .. the stuff is a little pricey ..
but i have been getting cherry, apple, alder, hickory and oak in 10lb bags
for 8.97 for fist sized chunks ...

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I've got to get DD's wedding out of the way first and then I'll be ready to start a new endeavor and you can bet that if I have any questions, I'll be asking you or Keltin!

then you will have a new category on your website...

Mama's BBQ (with help from a Canadian..lol)

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
I've never smoked anything either Mama but I have cooked a couple of good size turkeys on the grill and they've turned out excelent and very flavorful.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Oh and by the way, If I ever do have coals left over in the grill (which is usually hardly ever) I've always just let them burn out.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I have a weber kettle. I close the vents and the charcoal goes out. Inside the kettle, it came with two charcoal baskets.

I shake the baskets out oger the garbage can and put new charcoal over the remnants. My kettle has a small gas jet to start charcoal so you do not use lighter (hate the taste of that). The coals light from the bottom up.

With my silver smoker, I sometimes get too much charcoal going. ( am still learning how to do this. In that case, I have a bucket of water handy and scoop coals out into the bucket. Later, I dump the bucket and dry out the charcola and let it go around again.

I think Kingsford is $20.00 for tow 18# bags at Home Depot. Every dollar saved helps.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Left over coals?? Isn't that what Smores are for? Or at the very least marshmallows? LOL.

I am pretty good at judging the amount I need so usually there isn't much left to burn out.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Left over coals?? Isn't that what Smores are for? Or at the very least marshmallows? LOL.

I am pretty good at judging the amount I need so usually there isn't much left to burn out.

For me, I almost hate to grill steaks. You need a good bit of coal for a hot sear, so let's say regular amount. A load of coal can supply good heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour. But a good steak is grilled 4-5 minutes per side.....10 minutes tops. Now you have 35 minutes of coals left over just sitting there burning.

Hard to time that since if you put on some foil potatoes or corn first and let them cook 15-20 minutes before adding the steak, the coals will burn down meaning not as hot a fire for searing your steak.

Once you sear your steak on fresh coals, you need to eat it shortly after a 5 minute rest, so you’re screwed. No real way to use those coals…at least not for that dinner.

I LOVE grilling half chickens as those can go 35 – 45 minutes depending on how much coal you use, so very little waste. But grilling a steak is just darn wasteful…..unless you snuff your coals – which I may start doing.

Either that, or I’ll start grilling two meals. Steak for that night, and while we eat, chicken on the leftover coals for the next night.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
For me, I almost hate to grill steaks. You need a good bit of coal for a hot sear, so let's say regular amount. A load of coal can supply good heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour. But a good steak is grilled 4-5 minutes per side.....10 minutes tops. Now you have 35 minutes of coals left over just sitting there burning.

Hard to time that since if you put on some foil potatoes or corn first and let them cook 15-20 minutes before adding the steak, the coals will burn down meaning not as hot a fire for searing your steak.

Once you sear your steak on fresh coals, you need to eat it shortly after a 5 minute rest, so you’re screwed. No real way to use those coals…at least not for that dinner.

I LOVE grilling half chickens as those can go 35 – 45 minutes depending on how much coal you use, so very little waste. But grilling a steak is just darn wasteful…..unless you snuff your coals – which I may start doing.

Either that, or I’ll start grilling two meals. Steak for that night, and while we eat, chicken on the leftover coals for the next night.

Or like we do, grill up burgers, dogs, brats, ribs all at the same time. Then re-heat all but the steaks the next day or two. I also start with the corn and potatoes (frenched potatoes with onion and butter wrapped in foil) then follow with the other stuff. Steaks go last.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Or like we do, grill up burgers, dogs, brats, ribs all at the same time. Then re-heat all but the steaks the next day or two. I also start with the corn and potatoes (frenched potatoes with onion and butter wrapped in foil) then follow with the other stuff. Steaks go last.

I think what I really need to do is get a kick ass gas grill. My Charbroiler is ok, but no where near hot enough for a good sear, and the flame diffuser is postioned wrong to make good use of the whole cooking area. I'm a coal fanatic, but I surely see the time and place for a gasser!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I think what I really need to do is get a kick ass gas grill. My Charbroiler is ok, but no where near hot enough for a good sear, and the flame diffuser is postioned wrong to make good use of the whole cooking area. I'm a coal fanatic, but I surely see the time and place for a gasser!

I've been thinking the same thing lately. I love to cook on charcoal, but a good gas grill would be pretty cool to have.