About beans

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I need to make chili tomorrow. I have as always bought canned beans. Today. For whatever warped reason, I bought dried beans.

I can soak them overnight, no issue. My question is how much dried beans do I soak to equal a can? I'm guessing, half a pound.

Any ideas?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andy, per Google:

"So for a recipe that calls for one 15-ounce can of beans, you can cook 3/4 cup (4.5 ounces) of the dried version and be in the ballpark."

Chili sounds like a great idea for this frigid weekend!

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
from the USDA database, kidney beans:
dry 158g=5.5 ounces=1 cup

did 100g=3.57 ounces dry for red beans over rice for two - was probably a bit light for chili - the 'estimates' for dry weight/vol to cooked weight/vol vary enormously.

my bet is you're going to like them from dry much more than canned - there's a huge difference in texture.

see this about kidney beans:
http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/food-poisoning/red-kidney-bean-toxins.html

which I don't quite get as I never presoak them. I do keep them 10+/- minutes at a hard boil right off the bat.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you everyone.

The chili came out major yum grade.

I soaked the beans overnight in beef broth. I had considered not soaking and trying the chili in my instant pot. I made split pea with ham while the chili was cooking. No soaking the peas. It was a winner as well. Simmered the chili all day, so what the heck, I did a creamy dinner chicken veggie soup in the ip as well. I'm stocked up for a while. LOL

Next chili try I will do in the ip. Have company coming tonight for the chili, so no experaments.