Chili with Celery?

Ironman

🍺
So I'm gonna cook up a big batch of chili soon and I am going to add celery this time. I don't want to have "crunchy" chili, I want the celery on the soft side. So do I saute the celery with the onions and ground beef? Or will the celery be soft after I let it simmer in the slow cooker for a few hours?

:confused:

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
It will soften right up and be great. We put onions,celery and corn and tomatoes in ours all the time. It is even better the next day.

chilefarmer

Not real sure about that. Texas Chili, has no beans, celery or corn. But it might be good, just never tried it. CF

Ironman

🍺
Thanks MM! That's what I thought, it would soften up after a few hours/all day in the slow cooker. Same with the jalapenos I spose.

Corn? That's a great idea! Maybe I'll give it a try. The chili my friend had kicked ass and I know he had celery in there.

Thanks. :)

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Have a pack of bacon ends I want to fry up tomorrow for some good green beans. Need a change from ham.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
I generally pull the strings off celery if I am cooking it in a stew of any kind. They never get soft and I don't like the texture. Otherwise, Celery in chili will be fine, even if it won't be chili.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Its good to fry up the diced celery with the onions & meat to improve the flavour. The classic base for many dishes is a finely diced mix of celery, carrot & onion, sauted until soft, then added to the meat and other ingredients.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
Its good to fry up the diced celery with the onions & meat to improve the flavour. The classic base for many dishes is a finely diced mix of celery, carrot & onion, sauted until soft, then added to the meat and other ingredients.
That is called a moirepoix. I use it as a base for braising.