Leftover Mashed Potatoes

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I made redskin mashed potataoes two days ago. Had a whole bunch left..so yesterday, I made potato croquettes.

Take the leftovers, add a couple of eggs (depends on how much you actually have left, I suppose), grated cheddar, green onion. Shape into patties, then dredge in flour, egg, sesoned breadcrumbs. Pan fry and serve with brown gravy.

I sold more croquettes than mashed pots!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
That sounds wonderful, Vera! My dad used to make some kind of potato patties from leftover mashed potatoes. He'd chop up some green onions, add an egg and dust it with flour, then fry in butter. I can still taste the delicate crispy crust...I think it must be a German thing, as he grew up in an immigrant family.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
It may indeed be german in origin. It clearly was a big hit, where ever it comes from!

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
I've never heard of doing that but it's definetly something I plan to try very soon. Sounds yummy!!!

Leni

Mom used to take leftover mashed potatoes and add an egg then fry them either in butter or bacon drippings. Never thought of adding chopped green onion. Those croquettes really sound good Vera. I'll have to try that.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I made redskin mashed potataoes two days ago. Had a whole bunch left..so yesterday, I made potato croquettes.

Take the leftovers, add a couple of eggs (depends on how much you actually have left, I suppose), grated cheddar, green onion. Shape into patties, then dredge in flour, egg, sesoned breadcrumbs. Pan fry and serve with brown gravy.

I sold more croquettes than mashed pots!

Thanks for reminding me. I had forgotten my Grandmother used to do the same with leftover potatoes.

I think it must be a German thing, as he grew up in an immigrant family.

Grandma was German.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I never had potato croquettes until I lived in England.
Steven used to make them, only he'd shape them in a log (not a patty)-then bread them and fry.
They were a Sunday dinner treat.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
looked like this.

croquetteandaiolo.jpg

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
I <3 Croquettes! And for here, in the US, it seems to be a lost art. In Holland, I remember them being as common as well, french fries(pomme frite), but there wasn't any place you couldn't get a croquette. My fave has ham, cheddar and peas. Seriously, even the FABO bar had croquettes. . .I LOVED them!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Mom used to do something like this. She never made mashed with the skins mixed i though.