Tex Mex hamburger helper

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Now first the back story on this one. My kids when they where living at home one evening wanted taco's for dinner. So I looked and saw a box of taco shells in the pantry as well as the season mix and I had every thing else needed so I thought. Well long story short they had eaten the taco shells with salsa earlier in the week and put the empty box back in the cabinet to my surprise. At any rate I made it up and when no shells I took out a box of elbow macaroni and mixed it. Well they loved it and since then the recipe has grown into what I make now which is as follows but is based on my love of hot foods so gear it back to your tastes:

Taco Hamburger Helper

1 pound ground beef
1 can rotel tomatoes
1 onion diced
4 cloves of garlic crush and diced
2 Jalapeno peppers diced (optional to taste)
1 lb of elbow macaroni (other styles can be used as well)
1 package of Taco seasoning (brand optional or home made mine follows)
1 tbl spoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1 cup low salt beef broth (chicken can also be used or water)
1 to 2 tbl spoons of Salsa (your favorite brand hot or mild)
1 tbl spoon of crushed red peppers (or to taste)
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

Put on your water in a pot to make the pasta and don't forget to add salt once to a boil.

In a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat, saute the onions and jalapenos in olive oil until onions are translucent, about 5 to 10 minutes. Now add ground beef to the skillet and brown with onions and peppers. Salt and pepper to taste. Once meat is browned add garlic, rotel tomatoes, cayenne pepper, crushed red peppers and broth. Bring to a boil the turn down to a simmer. Allow to reduce. You can now add your pasta to a boiling pot of water. Once pasta is cooked to your taste add pasta to skillet and mix completely. You can add cheese to the top of this when serving and it is better the next day reheated.

My Taco Seasoning Mix

1 tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. onion
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. ground oregano
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt ( I don't add it and salt in dish to taste )

Mix well. Yield 3 tablespoons mix. Equal in strength to a 1 1/4 ounce package of commercial taco seasoning.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I hate it when my kids put empty boxes back in the cupboards!! Even worse when the wife is guilty of it! LOL.

This sounds reall good though, and creative of you!

chowhound

This looks real good, joec. I printed it out already for a soon to come dinner. I'm always looking for hamburger concoctions (I call them).
Thanks for your taco seasoning recipe, too.

Do you leave the seeds in the Jalapenos?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We call it cowboy macaroni. I like to mix sausage in the hamburger...it gives it a little different flavor :wink:

I do that also from time to time. I grind all my own meats so it depends on what I have on hand. I have even used breakfast sausage with it just broken up.