whatcha reading?

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i hafta read a story for pop lit, then i'm gonna read sylvia plaths 'the bell jar'.

any recent great reads? what book ya reading?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm reading 'The End of Overeating" by Dr. Kessler Kind of dry but informative. I also have a Web Griffith novel going but I don't think you'd like that.
I read The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand years ago. One of the best books I've ever read. An enjoyable read. Another Ayn Rand book which has particular appeal now is "Atlas Shrugged". The book was written in the 50's but there are so many parallels to what is happening to day in our nation that it is mind boggling. Many are reading it now because of that. Ayn Rand's books are big, but they are so good you never want them to end. :D

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I'm reading 'The End of Overeating" by Dr. Kessler Kind of dry but informative. I also have a Web Griffith novel going but I don't think you'd like that.
I read The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand years ago. One of the best books I've ever read. An enjoyable read. Another Ayn Rand book which as particular appeal now is "Atlas Shrugged". The book was written in the 50's but there are so many paralles to what is happening to day in our nation that it is mind boggling. Many are reading it now because of that. Ayn Rand's books are big, but they are so good you never want them to end. :D

Atlas Shrugged has been my financial stance since the year it was published. In my opinion it is the bible of what should be, and should not be, the heart of how a system can endure long term. In the present political and economic "philosophy", everyone should read Ayn's book again or for the first time.

Sorry about the emotion but I feel we (the USA) are losing it. There is no way the proposed programs can be paid for without severe repercussions.

And sorry about the hijack. It's my present mood.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
ah, hijack, smijack. we're here to talk, not shush. i don't mind when my threads change, if they don't turn into nonsense.:flowers:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
ah, hijack, smijack. we're here to talk, not shush. i don't mind when my threads change, if they don't turn into nonsense.:flowers:

Nah! Back to whatcha been reading. My blurbs ain't nonsense and I hope that 51% don't feel that way.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I just finished Escape by Robert Tanenbaum this afternoon. It was good - bogged a little but a good story line.

Before that I read the 4 Twilight novels by Stephanie Meyer. I have to say they were exceptional, which surprised me greatly.

I also read Janet Evanovich's 14th book in the Stephanie Plum series (Fearless Fourteen). I love these books - they are really funny and a very quick, light read.

I would say my all time favorite book is Shogun by James Clavel. I've probably read it 5 or 6 times. I've also read all of Michael Crichton's books and I am heartbroken that there will be no more from either of these 2 authors.

Dean Koontz is a favorite of mine - Strangers is one of the best books ever! Also Robert McGammon in that same genre. If you ever get a chance to read Boy's Life, do it.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've read much of the same FM. :D :thumb:

A few years ago I found out about Clive Cussler and his Dirk Pitt novels. they are the bomb. fun and exciting.

One of my best garage sale book finds ever was hardback copies of "The Winds of War" and the 2nd half wihch I can't remember the title. Good reads. I'd give them 5 starts. :thumb:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I've read much of the same FM. :D :thumb:

A few years ago I found out about Clive Cussler and his Dirk Pitt novels. they are the bomb. fun and exciting.

One of my best garage sale book finds ever was hardback copies of "The Winds of War" and the 2nd half wihch I can't remember the title. Good reads. I'd give them 5 starts. :thumb:
OMG - a friend of mine turned me onto Clive Cussler a few years back! He writes the most amazing books - talk about action packed! And about Web Griffith - I've never read any of his books but my father had them all in hardback up until he died 4 years ago. My mom asked me if I'd like to read them, but I didn't think I would. However, if you like them, maybe I should rethink that. Do you have any particular favorites of his? Thanks, Doc!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I am thrilled to hear you are also a Koontz fan, Terry.
My all time fav read are Ed McBain's 87th Precinct novels.
It's sad that he's gone, but left so many great ones for us to enjoy.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Two books that I would recommend:
Impossible Vacation-Spalding Gray
.. and the classic Portnoy's Complaint-by Philip Roth
The latter is one I had to keep hidden under my mattress at home lol

Both are compelling and made me laugh out loud.
Just recently read PC again, same effect lol

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm actually going to be starting the Commonwealth Saga' by Peter Hamilton as per Warren's recommendation a while back.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, I admit it. I'm addicted to two semi no brainer novelists, Randy Wayne White and Carl Hiaasen. If you like wierdo characters and south Florida history, these are the authors who will give you great pleasure.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Two books that I would recommend:
Impossible Vacation-Spalding Gray
.. and the classic Portnoy's Complaint-by Philip Roth
The latter is one I had to keep hidden under my mattress at home lol

Both are compelling and made me laugh out loud.
Just recently read PC again, same effect lol
I loved Portnoy's Complaint! Thanks for reminding me, Sass. I'll pick it up to read again next time I'm at Half-Price and I'll look for Impossible Vacation.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
A book on spirituality by Orthodox Rabbi Zelig Pliskin. Well, you did ask.

I just finished reading, "Happiness Is A Choice" By Bears Barry Neil Kaufman. It is an awesome book!

Wasabi

FM, I have the first Twilight novel. Looking forward to reading it. Jane Evanovich is a funny lady. Love her books. Koontz is one of my favorite authors. Just started James Patterson's Sail.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I loved Portnoy's Complaint! Thanks for reminding me, Sass. I'll pick it up to read again next time I'm at Half-Price and I'll look for Impossible Vacation.

Yup, PC is one of those books.
Don't think you'll be at all disappointed in reading Impossible Vacation. :wink:
Let me know what you think if you find it. Betcha your library has it, or can get it for you.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
FM, I have the first Twilight novel. Looking forward to reading it. Jane Evanovich is a funny lady. Love her books. Koontz is one of my favorite authors. Just started James Patterson's Sail.
Be careful about the Twilight book - it will suck you in! Then you just have to read the other 3. And BTW, each one is better than the last. I have no idea why I really like them because it's about teens and teen vampires and teen werewolves. I'm anxious to hear how you like it when you read it.

I love James Patterson. He's a solid writer.

Have you read any of Kinky Friedman's novels? He's so, so funny, too. I've even met him, although only once, and it was as funny as his books are. He is exactly like he is in his books and on television.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Yup, PC is one of those books.
Don't think you'll be at all disappointed in reading Impossible Vacation. :wink:
Let me know what you think if you find it. Betcha your library has it, or can get it for you.
I think if Half-Price doesn't have it, I'm sure the library will. Probably even the library on campus where my sons go to school. I remember when my daughter was in college, it was required reading in one of her classes! We've come a long way, baby!

Wasabi

I resisted reading the Twilight novels because it was geared to teenagers and it's about vampires, but they're so darn popular I thought I would give it a try. That's how I got hooked into reading the Harry Potter novels.

No, I have not read anything by Friedman, but will definitely check it out.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I'm reading a book called The Sound of Building Coffins - takes place in New Orleans early 1900s... a bit of voodoo, a bit of jazz, the imagery is wonderful.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I'm reading a book called The Sound of Building Coffins - takes place in New Orleans early 1900s... a bit of voodoo, a bit of jazz, the imagery is wonderful.

This type of thing would be right up my alley.
Googling book as we speak. hehe

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Atlas Shrugged has been my financial stance since the year it was published. In my opinion it is the bible of what should be, and should not be, the heart of how a system can endure long term. In the present political and economic "philosophy", everyone should read Ayn's book again or for the first time.

Sorry about the emotion but I feel we (the USA) are losing it. There is no way the proposed programs can be paid for without severe repercussions.
So true Buzz. I agree with you 100%

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OMG - a friend of mine turned me onto Clive Cussler a few years back! He writes the most amazing books - talk about action packed! And about Web Griffith - I've never read any of his books but my father had them all in hardback up until he died 4 years ago. My mom asked me if I'd like to read them, but I didn't think I would. However, if you like them, maybe I should rethink that. Do you have any particular favorites of his? Thanks, Doc!
Koontz is good. I am usually disappointed in his endings though.
James Patterson is another good one. His series on Detective Alex Cross is highly entertaining.
As for WEB Griffith, he is way more militaristic in his writings. If you've been in the military it makes more sense as to how it all works. If you haven't been 'In" I suspect you would not enjoy his novels. WEB is on my list of okay writers ...I've only read a handful of his novels. That I put down his novel to read a book like "The End Of Overeating" says a lot. I normally finish one before starting another.

lilylove

I do like James Patterson...but... he writes so many books so quickly and I've read most of them that I"m getting very tired of him. I'll still read the "CROSS" if a new one comes out but I think I'll skip the rest.

I'm not reading anything right now. Which is really strange for me. Normally I have four or five books going at once.