Greek-Style "American Chop Suey"

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I adapted this recipe from one I found on another site.

It's similar to the way my family makes "American Chop Suey", which others call "Goulash". My father doesn't like tomatoes or tomato sauce in it, so we just make it with ground beef, elbow macs, peppers, onions and mushrooms.

Here's a delicious Greek-style take on that dish. It makes a lot, so I Foodsavered half of it.

Lee

Greek-Style American Chop Suey

2 pounds ground lamb
1 pound pasta
1 block/container of Feta cheese, chopped/crumbled
I cup Kalamata olives, pitted, & roughly chopped **
1 large bunch Kale, rinsed, stems removed & discarded, & leaves roughly sliced/chopped
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, peeled & chopped
A few dollops of extra virgin olive oil for sauteeing
Dash or so of chicken broth or water
Dash of crushed red pepper flakes

While the cooked pasta is draining in a colander, heat a little olive oil in the same pot that you cooked the pasta in, and brown the ground lamb. Remove meat from pan, and, still in the same pot, saute the onion and garlic until soft but not brown. Add the kale, stir a bit, and add a dash or 2 of chicken broth or water to prevent burning. Add chopped olives, stir until kale has wilted down. Add cooked pasta, ground lamb, feta cheese, & crushed red pepper & stir again until pasta is heated through.

** Pitting the olives is accomplished easily by simply placing your broad kitchen knife (sharp side away from you) over each olive & briskly hitting down on the knife with your hand. Olive will break open & pit will be easy to remove.

Or use an olive-pitter.

http://img239.imageshack.us/my.php?image=groundlambkalepastaoliv.jpg

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm having this tonight - I pulled the Foodsavered half I'd frozen out of the freezer. Will heat it up and top with some fresh feta.

Not intentially part of the Lamb IC challenge, but it fits.

Maybe some edamame to go with, just for fun.

Lee

Attachments

• Ground lamb, kale, pasta, olives, feta.JPG
    Ground lamb, kale, pasta, olives, feta.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,301
K

Kimchee

That's an interesting idea, thanks!
I have a couple pounds of ground lamb that I have been wondering
what to do with... this could be it.

Great minds must think alike - LOL!! Minus the lamb, that's pretty much identical to one of my favorite pasta dishes:

BREEZY GREEK PENNE PASTA WITH KALE AND FETA

1 pound penne pasta (Barilla is my favorite brand), cooked according to package directions & drained
1 block/container of Feta cheese, chopped/crumbled
Approx. 24 Kalamata olives, pitted, & roughly chopped **
Approx. 1 pound Kale, rinsed, stems removed & discarded, & leaves roughly sliced/chopped
1 red onion, peeled & chopped
A few dollops of extra virgin olive oil for sauteeing
Dash or so of chicken broth or water
Dash of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

While the cooked pasta is draining in a colander, heat the olive oil & saute the onion until soft but not brown in the pot the pasta was cooked in. Add the kale, stir a bit, & add a dash or 2 of chicken broth or water to prevent burning. Add chopped olives & stir until kale has wilted down. Add cooked pasta, feta cheese, & crushed red pepper & stir again until pasta is heated through. Serve hot or at room temperature.

** If you can’t obtain pitted olives, pitting them is accomplished easily by simply placing your broad kitchen knife (sharp side away from you) over each olive & briskly hitting down on the knife with your hand. Olive will break open & pit will be easy to remove.