Dumplings: Got any TNT recipes for dumplings?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My grandma used to make the best dumplings. I'm hoping one of you has a similar TNT recipe.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I guess these would be rolled. She made them with her home made noodles.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mama, I'd like to have a recipe for dropped dumplings!

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well, here's how I make mine:

2 cups of self-rising flour,
plus maybe a cup more for kneading
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 egg, lightly beaten
plus
enough buttermilk to make 1 cup

Cut the shortening into the flour until it looks like crumbs. Add the buttermilk and egg. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until it forms a stiff ball. Roll out about 1/4" thick and cut into squares. Drop into simmering broth. Cover and cook about 8 to 10 minutes. make sure the liquid just simmers or your dumplings will fall apart.

chickenanddumplings.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Here's how I make my drop dumplings Lee:

2 cups of All-Purpose Flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup of whole milk
3 Tablespoons Butter, melted

Right before you are ready for your dumplings, mix together the dry ingredients. Add the butter to the milk and microwave on high for 1 minute. Add to the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated. Drop the dumplings by heaping spoonfuls (about the size of golf balls) onto simmering broth leaving about 1/4" space between each dumpling. Cover and simmer about 15 to 20 minutes.

chicken-and-drop-dumplings-13.jpg

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

1 teaspoon salt
1 cup of whole milk

Right before you are ready for your dumplings, mix together the dry ingredients. Add the butter to the milk and microwave on high for 1 minute. Add to the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated. Drop the dumplings by heaping spoonfuls (about the size of golf balls) onto simmering broth leaving about 1/4" space between each dumpling. Cover and simmer about 15 to 20 minutes.

OH boy another recipe to steal try!! YUMMY Thanks Mama (C & Ped).

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Another question. I showed these to DW and she wondered if any of you have a recipe for .... or ever heard of Potato dumplings? DW's grandma used to make these on Thanksgiving along with a duck, and somehow used duck grease in the process.

She would make Turkey and duck on Thanksgiving and so much other stuff. It was always a feast.

homecook

Another question. I showed these to DW and she wondered if any of you have a recipe for .... or ever heard of Potato dumplings? DW's grandma used to make these on Thanksgiving along with a duck, and somehow used duck grease in the process.

She would make Turkey and duck on Thanksgiving and so much other stuff. It was always a feast.

Here's a couple that I have Doc. Sorry no pictures, I haven't made them in awhile. lol

Here's a recipe my grandmother taught me, so bear with me. I've never seen a list of ingredients because there were never any measurements. She just did it. lol I'll list the basics.

Ingredients:
6-7 potatoes
flour
butter
salt and pepper
3 eggs
croutons

Preparation:
Boil about 6-7 large potatoes. She always boiled them in the skin and then peeled when done (fork tender). Save the cooking water and season it with butter and pepper. Chop up the potatoes and mash or rice as for mashed potatoes and add butter and milk. Add 3 eggs and mix in well. Add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour until mixture holds together. Flour your hands well and form golf ball sized dumplings. Flatten slightly and put them on a floured plate til they're all finished.

Heat up the potato water til boiling. Drop the dumplings into the boiling water and boil for about 5 minutes and simmer covered 10 minutes and don't lift the lid. Don't put too many in the pot, maybe about 6 at a time.

Drain and eat immediately.

We always had them with sauted onions in butter. Sometimes they were topped with buttered bread crumbs.

Another variation was to put a crouton in the middle of the dough. It was a nice surprise.

Kopytka (Little Hooves)

Here is the other recipe for potato dumplings called kopykta (little hooves). This is a recipe my grandmother used for these.

Ingredients:
Potatoes (about 5 medium sized)
1 egg
1-1/2 cups flour
Salt

Breadcrumbs/ butter for topping.

You can also make a topping by chopping bacon and onion, frying them in butter til browned and drizzling over the dumplings.

Preparation:

Clean potatoes and boil until tender. Drain, peel and cool. Mash them as if you were making mashed potatoes. Add the egg then the flour and mix together. You may need to add extra flour so it holds together. You don't want the dough sticky. The dough should be soft and pliable.
Flour the work surface and cut off a small piece of dough and roll into a snake shape about an inch thick. Cut the dumplings into diamond shapes about 1/2 inch long. Drop the dumplings into a large pot of salted, boiling water. Don't overcrowd the pot. When they start to float wait a few minutes then remove and drain.
Serve on a plate with one of the toppings. These are also good with a mushroom gravy.

I'm 100% Czech on both sides of the family, & the following is my family's long-time recipe for Czech Bread Dumplings. These were served with nearly every Sunday dinner - with roast duck, goose, turkey, pot roast, pork roast, chicken fricasee, etc., etc. They ain't light - in fact, in our family they were known as "Sinkers", & meant to be "gravy soakers". And served with sauerkraut made them "Sinkers with Grass" - lol!

BREEZY CZECH BREAD DUMPLINGS
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup milk
4 slices of white bread - either stale or toasted, cubed
1 egg

Bring a large pot of water to a full boil. In large mixing bowl, lightly beat egg. Add flour & baking powder & mix again. Add milk & cubed bread & combine thoroughly. With lightly floured hands, form balls of approximate tennis/baseball size & drop into boiling water. Allow to cook for 10 minutes, then flip balls over & cook for another 10 minutes. Remove & allow to cool before slicing.
Leftovers are easily reheated in hot gravy or in the microwave, & make a delicious addition to scrambled eggs when cubed & browned in butter.

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Here's a recipe my grandmother taught me, so bear with me. I've never seen a list of ingredients because there were never any measurements. She just did it. lol I'll list the basics.

Thanks Barb. :clap: DW thanks you and I thank you.

You made both DW and I smile with the comment above. I think all grandmas cook that way. :yum:

Breezy those sinkers sound awesome too. Not sure how long it will take me but I plan to try all the recipes posted. Mmmmmmm should be fun.

Just keep in mind that "Sinkers" (while leftovers are delicious browned up in butter & stirred into scrambled eggs) definitely need to be served with something that has a lot of juices/gravy. That's what they're meant for. They really should be called "Soakers" - lol!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The gravy idea sure sounded good with them. Thanks again Breezy!!!!!! :thumb: :clap:

Well, I just want to emphasize for anyone willing to try them that meat juices &/or grave really are necessary to enjoy "sinkers". On their own, they're very dense & bland.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks again Breezy. :thumb: :D

What would a typical meal menu be for when you make these sinkers?

Well, my recipes using "sinkers" are somewhat limited due to my husband's non-red-meat diet, but my parents make them to accompany pot roast - especially pot roast with gingersnap gravy (may sound strange but is out of this world), fresh pork roast, roast turkey, roast goose, any braised chicken dish that makes a sauce, etc., etc.

I make them every Xmas to accompany our Xmas "Roast Goose with Port Wine Gravy" & also when I make "Czech Braised Chicken with Dill Sour Cream Sauce". Lots of dumpling sauce "soaking" opportunities there. :)

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

1 teaspoon salt
1 cup of whole milk

That's the way I make mine. Just made them last week with chicken soup...yum,yum. DW loves them.

Barb, I'm going to try the potato ones. I have some gravy in the freezer just looking for something to cover.:yum:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, what a fantastic thread!!

I want to try ALL of them!

Lee

Norm

I made chicken and dumplings the other day. Here is the recipe I usually use but some of those others look good. I'll have to try them too.

DSCF2361.jpg

dumplings for chicken and dumplings
2 c. flour
1 tb bkng pwdr
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c. butter
2/3 c. evap. milk

stir toghether dry ingr. cut in fat, add milk & stir until sticky
About 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time, remove the lid from the pot in which the chicken is cooking and drop rounded tablespoons of the dumpling dough over the surface of the liquid, spacing them a few inches apart to allow room for them to puff up. Cover the pan, keeping the liquid at a simmer, and cook the dumplings for 15 minutes, until light and cooked through. Do not remove the lid while the dumplings are cooking. Serve with poached chicken.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Norm, I'm full from dinner, but I could go for a bowl of THAT!!

Lee

homecook

You're welcome Doc!

Joe, you won't be sorry. Looking forward to hearing what you think. We had them all the time growing up.

Guts

I'm the only one here that steams their dumplings in a steamer. I do not cook them in broth. Basically it's bisquick made to package directions dipped in butter, put in steamer and steam until done. These can be eaten with jelly or jam the next day also. This is a way my grandmother and my mother made chicken and dumplings. I can't think of anyone else that steams their dumplings separate when making chicken and dumplings. I have never heard of anyone else steaming their dumplings like I do, besides my sister. She does the same way I do, and her daughters steam their dumplings also it must be a family thing that we grew up on.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
While not as pretty as Mama's, they are equally as tasty (same recipe).

Chicken & Dumplings.

P1030607.jpg

P1030611.jpg

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I agree, those sure look good Joe.

I was thinking of trying the sinkers with pot roast Breezy so but your other options sound good to.

Thanks All. This has turned into an awesome thread thanks to yous guys input. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hey Doc - I won't be insulted if you try other options - lol!!! Just keep my recipe on file for when you need a good authentic Czech gravy sopper.

I think my grandma called them Potato Knaidlach.

3 large raw potatoes -- peeled
1 cup matzo meal
3 Tbs canola oil
3 eggs
Boiling water or simmering broth

Grate potatoes. Squeeze out the water. Combine potatoes with matzo meal and oil. You can refrigerate for an hour or drop from a spoon into boiling water. Simmer with cover aslant about 25 - 35 minutes

Re the dumplings, my grandma called them matzo balls. You could use a mix (gasp) lol. The recipe is on the box of matzo ball mix. I'll see if I can locate my recipe. Some people like them fluffy, but I prefer them dense. My mom made them like rocks. Wet your hands & form the balls, & refrigerate for about a half hour. They are bland, so when possible, I cook them in homemade chicken stock broth. The broth may cloud, but you can strain it (along w vegetables, if you're making a soup).

There are "gussied up" recipes to boost the flavor, i.e. adding lemon zest or juice, chopped walnuts, parsley etc. I've even seen a recipe with tomato paste added to the "mix."

I think my grandma called them Potato Knaidlach.

3 large raw potatoes -- peeled
1 cup matzo meal
3 Tbs canola oil
3 eggs
Boiling water or simmering broth

Grate potatoes. Squeeze out the water. Combine potatoes with matzo meal and oil. You can refrigerate for an hour or drop from a spoon into boiling water. Simmer with cover aslant about 25 - 35 minutes

Re the dumplings, my grandma called them matzo balls. You could use a mix (gasp) lol. The recipe is on the box of matzo ball mix. I'll see if I can locate my recipe. Some people like them fluffy, but I prefer them dense. My mom made them like rocks. Wet your hands & form the balls, & refrigerate for about a half hour. They are bland, so when possible, I cook them in homemade chicken stock broth. The broth may cloud, but you can strain it (along w vegetables, if you're making a soup).

There are "gussied up" recipes to boost the flavor, i.e. adding lemon zest or juice, chopped walnuts, parsley etc. I've even seen a recipe with tomato paste added to the "mix." Guess that's why you don't often find a written recipe.

Yup - another old Czech recipe - Potato Knaidlach - although the Czechs don't use matzo meal. I haven't made them in YEARS. Will have to access my mom & dad for their recipe (which was actually grandparents' recipe from Bohemia), since I'd like to make them again myself.

They also call their Czech Bread Dumplings "Knaidlach" as well.