At what temperature do eggs start to cook?

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I'm making a pastry that calls for the batter to cook, cool a little, then beat eggs into it. How will I know if the batter is cool enough to not cook the eggs. Should I just wait until I can stick my finger into it?

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, but this is more like a very soft sticky dough, than a runny batter. I don't think I can temper the eggs with it.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
That is way beyond my pastry making skills. I would probably go with the cool to touch.

What are you making?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
This is the kind of thing that drives me insane, Robsan! What the hell does "cool a little" mean??? I really wish recipes were more specific. Anyway, FWIW, I would let it sit for about 15 minutes. That sounds like cooling a little to me.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
if you can keep your finger in it, you're safe.

see: http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/10/the-food-lab-science-of-how-to-cook-perfect-boiled-eggs.html

Now, here's what happens as an egg white cooks:

• From 30 -140 degrees: As it gets hot, its proteins, which resemble coiled up balls of yarn, slowly start to uncoil.
  • At 140 degrees: Some of these uncoiled proteins—called ovotransferrin—begin to bond with each other, creating a matrix, and turning the egg white milky and jelly-like (like the innermost layers of egg white in the 3-minute egg above).
  • At 155 degrees: The ovotransferrin has formed and opaque solid, though it is still quite soft and moist (see the white of the 5-minute egg).
  • At 180 degrees: The main protein in egg whites—ovalbumen—will cross-link and solidify, giving you a totally firm egg white (see the whites of the 7 and 9 minute eggs). This is very similar to the gunk that seeps out of the surface of overcooked salmon.
  • 180 degrees-plus: The hotter you get the egg, the tighter these proteins bond, and the firmer, drier, and rubbier the egg white becomes (the 11-15 minute eggs). Hydrogen Sulfide, or "rotten-egg" aromas, begin to develop. Ick.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
if you can keep your finger in it, you're safe.

see: http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/10/the-food-lab-science-of-how-to-cook-perfect-boiled-eggs.html

Now, here's what happens as an egg white cooks:

• From 30 -140 degrees: As it gets hot, its proteins, which resemble coiled up balls of yarn, slowly start to uncoil.
  • At 140 degrees: Some of these uncoiled proteins—called ovotransferrin—begin to bond with each other, creating a matrix, and turning the egg white milky and jelly-like (like the innermost layers of egg white in the 3-minute egg above).
  • At 155 degrees: The ovotransferrin has formed and opaque solid, though it is still quite soft and moist (see the white of the 5-minute egg).
  • At 180 degrees: The main protein in egg whites—ovalbumen—will cross-link and solidify, giving you a totally firm egg white (see the whites of the 7 and 9 minute eggs). This is very similar to the gunk that seeps out of the surface of overcooked salmon.
  • 180 degrees-plus: The hotter you get the egg, the tighter these proteins bond, and the firmer, drier, and rubbier the egg white becomes (the 11-15 minute eggs). Hydrogen Sulfide, or "rotten-egg" aromas, begin to develop. Ick.
That's eggsactly what I was looking for! Thanks!