I just had to share this.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
If it wasn't so sad, I would have put it in jokes.

I just got a call from "Windows", imagine that windows him or herself. INterrestingly enough, the first person on the phone (female) had such a thick Indian accent that I barely understand her. She informed me that they had been monitoring my computer and saw a lot of error messages and warnings (I thought for a minute they were with the NSA, LOL). She was concerned about my safety and security, so she transferred me to her supervisor (male).

He told me that he was going to intervene and fix what was wrong with my machine. He first asked me to turn my computer on (I wondered how they could monitor it if it was off). I told him it was on. He verified my name (Which he had) , my address which was incorrect (I did not correct), he verified my three digit Zip Code (Wonder how I got that) and then he asked what version of Windows that I was running. I told him that I was running Linux. He guided me (So he thought) through opening my browser and directed me to clear out my address bar and he was going to give me something to type in.

At that point I said "Officer Smith, this is the caller that I have asked you to monitor. He is a scammer trying to infect computers with a virus so he can ask for money to take it out". He was undaunted and offered to sell me two antivirus programs for $99.00. When I told him that I wasn't interested he thanked me for my time and hung up.

You just can't make this up.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Glad that you didn't buy any of those things.

It sounds much like a scam to me. Too many people out there trying to get consumers to buy so-called safe software for their pc's!!

Such as the ones for registry cleanings. They tell you that it's a free scan, but when you are ready to see the results after the so-called scan is done, they want your credit or debit card number!!

This is so that they can charge you to see the results. I'm not falling for that crap!! :mellow:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I just thought it humerus that that the scam, which has been around a while, has been "outsourced" to India.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
We get a few of these. My son strings them along - we have 7 PCs & lapotops & 2 servers. So he asks them questions about which one they have been monitoring etc. Also can they give them details as several members of the family of computer technicians and would like to fix it etc. He then tells them to go away as we are quite capable of solving our own problems.

Shermie

Site Supporter
There are also some bogus co's out there. They usually pop up when visiting certain websites, claiming that your computer is infected with a virus.

One used to just automatically interject itself onto the screen and start so-called scanning for any supposed viruses. Now, you get a rotating pop-up at the top page of some forums, telling you that you got a virus!!

Or that you're the so-called winner of a selected prize.

Facebook has one from Costco, claiming that you can participate and compete in a game to win a $500 gift card. Yeah, right!!

Told the member that is notifying everyone not to put my name in that because I won't participate in any of those games. :twak:

It just opens the door for your e-mail address, phone number and street address and SS number to be given out to other sources and setting yourself up for them to start blowing up your phone with harassing offers, and your email address and street address to be bombarded with junk mail!!

To avoid all that, I just stay away from it all!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Hi Joe - Congratulations on your bread wins.

First off - I told him thate I wsd running Linux, he didn't care.

Second off - The growing popularity of Mac products is attracting the same virus writers that have been plaguing windows. Please make sure you have an anti virus, that it is up to date and you run regular scans.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Hi Joe - Congratulations on your bread wins.

First off - I told him thate I wsd running Linux, he didn't care.

Second off - The growing popularity of Mac products is attracting the same virus writers that have been plaguing windows. Please make sure you have an anti virus, that it is up to date and you run regular scans.

I have Norton Internet Security. It came with the new pc anyway.

Had McAfee, but it just was not doing enough to protect the pc from viruses. :smile:

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
I use add ons to block this kind of crap. If I did have one get through I would just give them Doc's email....:dizzy:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
not sure it was "outsourced" (g) - with the crackdown on unsolicited phone calls, most of these scam operations started outside USA - specifically to be 'outside' any legal jurisdiction.

India, the Philippines and Australia are the biggie biggie sources - the laws there make it "legal" and you are absolutely correct about their insistence on somehow getting "your approval" - you may think you're safe because you can dispute the credit card charge - but you're not - it goes to arbitration via the Bank of MumboJumbo, who arbitrates in their favor and you're on the hook. the phoney arbitration is "final"

folks, never _ever_ allow _any_ remote service to take control of your computer unless you know 1000% who they are and _you_ have called _them_

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Chowder, I agree. My simple rule I give my customers is this. Do as your mom told you, "dont talk to strangers." Works for email messages and computers.