Monday dinner, 2-9-09????

chowhound

That's right up Larry's alley Mojito. He's always buying new fruits and veggies to try out without knowing what they are. Gotta pic of it before it hit the pot?

Man, looks like you're really going to town there!

Calicolady

TGM, is this it?

374-Chayote-in-Kitchen.jpg

But What do the taste like?
I love discovering new vegetables to eat and chayote are really surprisingly delicious, better than a courgette or a cucumber; the flesh is denser and crisper, with a light subtle taste. When young they can be eaten whole but as they get bigger it is best to remove the skins as these become tough. They work equally well raw or cooked and go well with nutty, hot, salty, spicy or sour flavours particularly; coconut, lentils, peanuts, tomatoes, chilli and citrus. Lovely grated raw, sliced in salads, lightly boiled, stir fried or cooked with lentils or tomatoes. I've still got lots of experimenting to do, and lots of fruit to experiment on, to see what really is the best way to eat them, so any ideas or suggestions are most welcome.
Author: Laura Hudson Categories: Edible Plants Garden

lilylove

I love cornbeef hash, but never made it. I only have it when I go to Sunday brunch - once in a blue moon.

I'd do that for dinner.

Have you, or would you be so kind to post a recipe?

I would love to! BUT, I cheat and use some that comes in a can. Don't tell anyone..ok?:yum:

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
TGM, is this it?

374-Chayote-in-Kitchen.jpg

But What do the taste like?
I love discovering new vegetables to eat and chayote are really surprisingly delicious, better than a courgette or a cucumber; the flesh is denser and crisper, with a light subtle taste. When young they can be eaten whole but as they get bigger it is best to remove the skins as these become tough. They work equally well raw or cooked and go well with nutty, hot, salty, spicy or sour flavours particularly; coconut, lentils, peanuts, tomatoes, chilli and citrus. Lovely grated raw, sliced in salads, lightly boiled, stir fried or cooked with lentils or tomatoes. I've still got lots of experimenting to do, and lots of fruit to experiment on, to see what really is the best way to eat them, so any ideas or suggestions are most welcome.
Author: Laura Hudson Categories: Edible Plants Garden

YUP!!!!!! thats IT!!!!!!!

chowhound

I got my rice fix in.
I cooked up some rice, then added some EVOO, onions, garlic, cut-up BBQed ribs, peas, corn, slivered almonds and s&p. Fried it for a while. It came out pretty good.

Attachments

• rice thing.jpg
    rice thing.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 201

chowhound

Thanks, Mama. With the smokiness of the pork and sweetness of the corn, I'm glad I refrained from grabbing more than salt and pepper.
Damn I wish I wasn't out of ice cream, though.....

suziquzie

Me too!!!
I didn't eat 'til my ice cream just now. Decided there was no time for a quiche crust and I had no potatoes for fritata. I like potatoes.
I ended up giving the kids a choice of quesadillas or scrambled eggs....
The oldest had both.. go figure.

chowhound

I'm sorry Suzi. There weren't any leftovers ;^)

Mav, the pizza looks fantastic. Did you make the dough, too.

PanchoHambre

Me too!!!
. Decided there was no time for a quiche crust and I had no potatoes for fritata. I like potatoes.
I ended up giving the kids a choice of quesadillas or scrambled eggs....
The oldest had both.. go figure.

well at least you fed them... what more can they want!

I just ended up snacking on the leftover topping for my mighs... tortillas with pico, queso fresco and bacon...yum

buckytom

Grill Master
You keep your clams submerged, BT? I keep mine in a bowl in the fridge with a wet paper towel over them.

Anyway, no idea yet what's for dinner tonight.

i wasn't intending to, but i forgot that i left them in a bowl in the sink when i headed into work. it was too late to call home to ask dw to drain them and put them in the fridge.

they were ok, however, when i got home. in fact, i've found that soaking the little bivalves helps them spit out any remaining sand in them. some people add cornmeal, to get them to ingest and spit out stuff. i just use a few changes of cold water.

anyway, i made the soup. dw threatened me if i take it into work for the guys, it came out so good.

i wasn't sure if the little guy was going to eat it (he did, eating the broth and veggies, but chewing up the clams into a grey paste, then spitting them out :yuk:), so i also made an evoo and s&p rubbed roast chicken and a can o' string beans.

everyone was hungry! dw had a pint and a half of soup, as well the chicken and stringbeans. my boy had about a pint of soup, and a thigh and half a breast from the chicken.

it's good to cook a lot, then see few leftovers and everyone stuffed.