Meyer Lemons

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
The thing DW & I miss most about the house we sold last summer was our beautiful Meyer lemon tree. She prefers the Meyer variety for anything lemons are used for. I picked up these at the farmers market this morning. They're larger than baseballs.

Meyer Lemons.JPG

From the Internet
For more than a century, the Meyer lemon was known mostly for its looks. In its native China, it was primarily a decorative houseplant.

A cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange, the Meyer lemon has smooth golden skin the color of a fresh egg yolk. It also has a thin edible rind, a high volume of juice and none of the tartness of a regular lemon — yet its potential in the kitchen went unnoticed.

Today, the Meyer lemon is a darling of farmers markets and beloved by chefs and home cooks. Its aromatic, slightly sweet quality brightens desserts, sauces, salads and roasts. In fact, Meyers may be substituted for regular lemons whenever you want a burst of lemon flavor without the acidic bite. Though it took a long time for the Meyer lemon to make its way into the culinary limelight, it was worth the wait.

The Meyer lemon might still be decorating homes today if it weren't for one man. In the early 1900s, the U.S. Department of Agriculture sent Frank N. Meyer, an agricultural explorer (yes, that was his actual job title) on several trips to Asia with the mission of collecting new plant species. Among more than 2,500 plants that he introduced to the U.S., the Meyer lemon was named in his honor. Sadly, Meyer would never live to see the success of his namesake. He died on an expedition near Shanghai in 1918.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Great piece of history, Buzz. I knew about the cross breed, but didn't know the rest of the story.

Just to put the size in perspective, here's a Meyer lemon from my yard.
I have very large hands (I need men's oversized grips on my golf clubs.) And yes, that's a regular full-size apple next to those lemons.

Attachments

• lemons.jpg
    lemons.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 207
  • lemons (3).jpg
    lemons (3).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 203

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Fran & I purchased a house but we don't close until the end of March. Don't you know that the very first thing she's going to do is plant a couple of Meyer trees. I'll help her, of course, but not until I install a Mag-Blok for my every day user knives. LOL

I envy you. I'm a Meyer lemon fan, but my local supermarket doesn't carry them. The Produce guy said they don't have Meyer's any more because they are too expensive, and noone buys them. I said I would. Guess I'll have to go to a Farmers' Market. Had a Meyer lemon tree in a duplex I lived in, but the owner cut the tree down :( Saw Meyer lemon bushes(?) sold on QVC & was tempted, but don't know if or how I could grow same in a condo. Send me some Meyers! LOL I have some great recipes, if anyone is interested. Thanks for the info.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I envy you. I'm a Meyer lemon fan, but my local supermarket doesn't carry them. The Produce guy said they don't have Meyer's any more because they are too expensive, and noone buys them. I said I would. Guess I'll have to go to a Farmers' Market. Had a Meyer lemon tree in a duplex I lived in, but the owner cut the tree down :( Saw Meyer lemon bushes(?) sold on QVC & was tempted, but don't know if or how I could grow same in a condo. Send me some Meyers! LOL I have some great recipes, if anyone is interested. Thanks for the info.

You can grow them and keep them dwarfed in pots. I've done it.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I wonder if they would grow in San Antonio? We grow some fine citrus fruit in the valley.

You can grow them and keep them dwarfed in pots. I've done it.

I think that's what QVC was selling - dwarfs. I'm going to see if they are still available. Thanks, Buzz.

I so want to make these ML gnocchi w butter poached lobster:

http://katethecook.blogspot.com/2008/09/meyer-lemon-gnocchi-with-butter-poached.html

If you haven't tried it, this ML upside-down cake is excellent:

http://foodlibrarian.blogspot.com/2010/01/los-angeles-times-upside-down-meyer.html

(Limes might be interesting, as well.)

Last edited:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I wonder if they would grow in San Antonio? We grow some fine citrus fruit in the valley.

They're good down to (I think) about 25 degrees F. Are there orange groves around SA like down on the border? If so, it's a no brainer. If you don't want to plant a tree (takes three years to produce) you can put out a couple of pots. They do require sunlight and hopefully sunshine 8 hours a day.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
No - no orange groves here that I have ever seen.

OK - I'll go with the pot. (I think there's a joke in there somewhere. LOL) CC - you and I can compare notes on growing the dwarfed ones.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Just talked to Fran about the dwarfs and I'm glad I did because I falsely assumed she bought from a local company - wrong! It came from Wayside Gardens and was just a little squirt in a little pot on arrival. As it grew she repotted and it first produced during the third year.

This house we're buying has a little garden area inside the swimming pool cage so we might put a couple pots around there instead of out on the lawn. You can bet there will be a few herbs planted there as well....

FryBoy

I've never used Meyer lemons that I can recall, but it seems to me that lemons without tartness wouldn't work very well in a lot of recipes. I like the bite!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Buzz - Why is your swimming pool in a cage?

lol A pool cage is a screen enclosure that covers not only the pool but the lanai area as well. It keeps the bugs, leaves, rodents, etc. out. They are a mixed blessing as many, including myself, would just as soon have nothing more than a fence around the area.

(not my house)

Attachments

• Pool_Cage_0808.jpg
    Pool_Cage_0808.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 191

Mr. Green Jeans

Friends of mine have successfully grown and harvested meyer lemons here in Orygun. The dwarf types are grown as patio plants and wintered indoors. I'd have one myself but the Boar's Nest is too cold on weekends because I'm a cheap so and so not wanting to foot the electric bill to heat the place. I see no reason why it would not do well in CA or TX.

phreak

The first house I owned in Florida had a huge Meyer lemon tree, as well as a huge Ruby Red Grapefruit tree. I miss both of them dearly. Let me tell you, fresh squeezed Ruby Red Grapefruit juice, meyer lemon juice, a small amount of sugar and some good vodka makes one heck of a good cocktail!