need your hot sauce opinions plz..

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i am about to make the journey of making my own hot sauce. i have two basic recipes that i need your opinion on.

these are the flavors i am going for, do you think they would mesh. these are not in order of the ingredients but just some simple ideas

roasted garlic
lime or citrus of some sort
a.c.vinegar
brown sugar
onion powder?

garlic
lime
tequilla
dried apricot puree
onion powder?

if u have any ideas, i am open to any suggestions

thanks

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I would simply make it with the real thing and don't use onion powder. I don't even have it in my spices. I use onion flakes (dehydrated onion finely diced) and it seems any sauce you make would be better with fresh, whole ingredients. Other than that the combinations sound good to me. With that said what will give pepper will give it the heat?

S.Shepherd

I would simply make it with the real thing and don't use onion powder. I don't even have it in my spices. I use onion flakes (dehydrated onion finely diced) and it seems any sauce you make would be better with fresh, whole ingredients. Other than that the combinations sound good to me. With that said what will give pepper will give it the heat?

ya...onion powder stinks:yuk:

I thought you said hot sauce....where's the peppers, and what kind?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

i was thinking the same thing after i posted it..lol

habs/scotch bonnets for heat

http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1449
ya...onion powder stinks:yuk:

I thought you said hot sauce....where's the peppers, and what kind?

habs/scotch bonnets for heat..lol

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well in that case I might cut back on the citrus and go with a vinegar as both of those (I think they are the same really) have a citrus taste. It might work though so I suggest you try it both ways to see which you like best.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
With all those great ingredients you have listed, why on earth would you opt for onion powder??? Caramelize those onions, son!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I would probably go with #1 cause I am not a big fan of the taste of tequila, but hard to tell without being able to sample them.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I would probably go with #1 cause I am not a big fan of the taste of tequila, but hard to tell without being able to sample them.

well i made the second one....sort of

scotch bonnets
roasted garlic
lime
tequilla
dried turkish apricots/ rehydrated
onions
apple cider vinegar
salt

i canned it yesterday. could wait to age all of it so i opened a jar. at first taste it was a little salty but when i tasted it again later in the evening it wasnt bad at all. it needed some more acid so i added about 2 tsp ac vinegar, now it tastes like a hot sauce

its not real hot at first. then it hits you and it remains on your tongue for awhile...and there is no taste of tequilla

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The trick to tequila is to STOP after the first two shots, continuing on with beer. Works for me.

Bam, your hot sauce ingredients sound good, but I'm terrified of scotch bonnets and habaneros. I'm kinda wimpy about heat, too - Frank's Original is my favorite sauce. :eek:

Lee