Canning Question

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I've never canned anything before and I keep reading and have been told to use a rack in the bottom of my pot to place the jars on...is that really necessary? or can't I just set them in there???

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Gut reaction, yes it would make a difference. I'd think there could be a pretty big temperature difference between the pot bottom and the raised rack. I'm sure the bottom temps could easily scorch the contents of the jars, and I'm not sure the jars can take that much heat.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I don't use a rack. The purpose is to permit the water to flow around all parts of the jar. I've never used it, never had a problem.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmmph, I didn't know that, Vera! I've always used it because I was scared NOT to!

I thought it just kept the jars separated so they wouldn't rattle into each other and break!

Good to know!

Lee

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
They rattle around a bit, but I've never had an accident in 20 years of canning!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I've not been doing this as long as Vera, but my jars just sit on the bottom of the pan, and I've not had a problem...yet! Just did it last night making some raspberry and blueberry preserves, and all the lids set and the contents jelled just fine. I'll be doing it again tonight when I can bread & butter pickles. They're brining right now along with onions & green peppers.

Rasp-BluePreserves.jpg

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I did 8 1/2 pint fig preserves on Tuesday. When I put the lids out, not the disks, I noticed one of the lids had a tiny crimp in the edge. Should have tossed it out. I had a feeling.
Sure enough, it didn't seal properly. That one jar is now in the fridge, being treated like an open jar of preserves.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Thanks for the advice everyone! Now another question....
I remember as a kid, my mother would pour perafin on top of the preserves before she sealed the lids on. Is that necessary too?? I didn't see it in your jars Joe...

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I don't use parafin because I use disks around the lids. If you buy a case (12) of jars by Ball or Mason all you need comes in the box.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
So...........what are you going to can??????

I'm hoping to get some raspberries and blackberries from the farm soon and make some jam. Never done it before but jam is so expensive, I'd like to try and do it myself....:huh:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Take note of the yield, Riksmom...you'll come home from the market with what you think is a mountain of berries only to discover you'll only get 4 or 5 jars of jam.

Find a recipe before you shop!! That way you'll know what to expect in the way of yield. Also, be prepared to can pretty much the day or one day after you shop. You want only the absolute freshest ingredients going into your preserves!

Can't wait to see how much you like it!!

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Take note of the yield, Riksmom...you'll come home from the market with what you think is a mountain of berries only to discover you'll only get 4 or 5 jars of jam.

Find a recipe before you shop!! That way you'll know what to expect in the way of yield. Also, be prepared to can pretty much the day or one day after you shop. You want only the absolute freshest ingredients going into your preserves!

Can't wait to see how much you like it!!

You have any recipes?? lol :biggrin:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Do a google search. You'll get lots of choices. Pick the one you like the best. I'm thinking of doing something with peaches this weekend. I'd like to do a peach and pecan butter....

loboloco

Don't know about blackberries, but appr 8 1/2 cups of blueberries will give you about 4 cups of crushed blueberries.