do you know your salt?

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
For a time salts from different seas were very trendy and then, my gourmet market put them on sale to get rid of them. I kinda thought that was a sign that all the different salts (other than fleur de sel, pickling, kosher etc) were "out" as they say and that the trend was over.

That happens a lot with food tv, one minute it seems every show is pushing a unique ingredient or a tool or pan and then, people ask for them at their stores, and voila--almost as soon as it started it is over. That is how I bought my grill pan that I never use anymore. I don't make those mistakes anymore.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I use basically sea salt, kosher salt and my table salt is the plain old iodized crap due to my wife, she has a thyroid problem so iodized salt needs to be in her diet. Other than that I've tried others but those are what I use most.

buckytom

Grill Master
good info, thanks bam.

i use sea salt and kosher salt at home.

i work with a guy who loves salt substitutes. he made me try a bunch of them. i couldn't wait until i could rinse my mouth out. they were all terrible, and didn't taste like salt at all. the road salt that blows around after the snow has melted tastes better.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The only salt I've used that I like other than the sea/kosher is the bacon salts. Those surprised me in that they actually taste like what they say they are. Now with that said no bacon in them and both kosher and vegan acceptable, go figure.

YeOldeStonecat

I use basically sea salt.

Same here...great stuff. I get these big jars with a twist grinder up top..like a big pepper mill. The jars have larger sea salt crystals inside..gotta grind it up as you season your stuff like a big pepper mill.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That is the way I get mine also but I do have a few gourmet types I got after the last visit to Warren's place. They had a salt tasting there and a couple where really good. I also keep a jar filled with Morton's Kosher salt (large grains) close in my kitchen as well. I use pickling salt for some Asian dishes such as Kim Chee which I always have on hand. As soon as the last batch gets eaten the bottle gets washed and I make another batch. I have a larger selection of peppers though than salts.

waybomb

A bit off topic......

One of the reasons Rome is where it is at is because of the salt there. It was contaminated with nitrites, thus, it preserved food much longer than the usual salt of the time.

Of course, the ancients didn't know this, but they did know that magic salt came from that general area.

High Cheese

Saucier
I ONLY use Diamond Crystal kosher salt. I tried Mortons once and my food tasted waaaay salty. I like Diamond Crystal because you would really need to shovel it in to have your food taste salty.

Y

YT2095

I`m the heathen of the bunch, as long as it`s sodium chloride I`m happy to use it, LoSalt is also good too (Potassium chloride 66%).
I`v tried the large crystal sort but they go in my salt grinder anyway so I fail to see the point.
however this is just my opinion, and doesnt apply to Flavored salts (smoked or garlic or celery etc...) that I use on occasion.

Tickle Me Elmo

We're pretty salt "ignorant" here, too. But I think that's not a bad thing. We have sea, kosher, pickling, and plain old Morton's in the pantry. If we want smoked salt we make our own using our Cameron's smoker.

Fads come and go and we seem to have weathered many a cooking trend with what we have on hand.