Kosher Salt...

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Kosher salt has bigger crystals and no iodine added. The bigger crystals make it easy to apply to large cuts of meet during the Koshering process. Nearly all salt is Kosher according to Jewish law. “Kosher Salt” is simply USED most often for the Koshering process because of the large crystals. Since it is the primary type of salt (large crystals) used for Koshering, it is called Kosher Salt....as in the salt used for Koshering.

FryBoy

You can buy regular table salt that has no iodine, also. It's added to prevent iodine deficiencies. As for Morton Salt Co., they make kosher salt as well as regular table salt and other varieties.

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ahhh... What's Koshering?

Kashrut are the Jewish Dietary laws about food. Kosher food is food that has been prepared according to those laws.

One of the laws about meat is that as much blood as possible has to be drawn out. So it is packed in salt to basically dry it thus removing as much blood as possible. So “Koshering” meat is the act of making the meat Kosher or fit for consumption according to Kashrut (the dietary laws).

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Kashrut are the Jewish Dietary laws about food. Kosher food is food that has been prepared according to those laws.

One of the laws about meat is that as much blood as possible has to be drawn out. So it is packed in salt to basically dry it thus removing as much blood as possible. So “Koshering” meat is the act of making the meat Kosher or fit for consumption according to Kashrut (the dietary laws).

I see. I have a vague understanding of what Kosher means, but I didn't know about the blood and salt thing...

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
By volume, Kosher salt is lighter in weight than table salt. One level teaspoon of table salt weighs 6 grams, and the Kosher salt weighs 4 grams per level teaspoon (I just did this on my scale). If a recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of salt, use 1-1/2 teaspoons of Kosher salt if that is your preference. this is particularly important in bread recipes, because the bread will not have the flavor if it is under salted. Just keep in mind if you prefer Kosher salt, increase the volume by 50%. If you weigh ingredients, it won't matter at all.

FryBoy

By volume, Kosher salt is lighter in weight than table salt. One level teaspoon of table salt weighs 6 grams, and the Kosher salt weighs 4 grams per level teaspoon (I just did this on my scale). If a recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of salt, use 1-1/2 teaspoons of Kosher salt if that is your preference. this is particularly important in bread recipes, because the bread will not have the flavor if it is under salted. Just keep in mind if you prefer Kosher salt, increase the volume by 50%. If you weigh ingredients, it won't matter at all.
Kosher salt is not the best for baking, except as a topping for breads and rolls, etc., because it doesn't dissolve as well as finer table salt.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Kosher salt is not the best for baking, except as a topping for breads and rolls, etc., because it doesn't dissolve as well as finer table salt.
I have been using it for over a year, and have not had any problem with dissolving. It's personal preference.

FryBoy

I have been using it for over a year, and have not had any problem with dissolving. It's personal preference.
Perhaps, but even Morton says not to use their Kosher salt in baking (although I believe there is such a thing as fine kosher salt). This is from their FAQ page -- check out the Salt Guide, too:

8) When should I use Kosher Salt?

You may use Coarse Kosher Salt in place of table salt in recipes. Morton® Coarse Kosher Salt may be used whenever a coarse flake salt is desired, such as garnishing the rim of margarita glasses; as a topping for bread, rolls, bagels and soft pretzels; or for brining meat and poultry. Morton® Coarse Kosher Salt may also be used to kosher meat and poultry, and in cooking where salt is used to encrust meat, fish or chicken. We do not recommend using Morton® Coarse Kosher Salt in baking recipes, unless used as a topping, where a coarse salt would be desired. For more suggested uses click here for the Morton Salt Guide.​

FryBoy

here... complete with pictures...lol

http://www.foodsubs.com/Salt.html
That page includes this about Kosher salt in baking:
kosher salt Notes: This salt was developed for the preparation of kosher meats, but many cooks prefer it over table salt. It has coarser grains, so it's easier to use if you, like professional chefs, toss salt into pots with your fingers, measuring by touch. Most kosher salt is also flaked, giving each grain a larger surface area. This helps the salt adhere better, so it's great for lining margarita glasses, and for making a salt crust on meats or fish. Kosher salt also is preferred over table salt for canning and pickling. Like pickling salt, kosher salt is free of iodine, which can react adversely with certain foods. Some brands of kosher salt contain yellow prussiate of soda, an anti-caking agent, but unlike the anti-caking additive in table salt, it doesn't cloud pickling liquids. The only drawback to using kosher salt for pickling or canning is that the grains are coarser and flakier, and can't be packed as tightly into a measuring cup as pickling salt. This raises the risk that the salt won't be properly measured. To get around this problem, measure by weight instead of volume. With its large grains, kosher salt isn't a good choice for baking. Substitutes: pickling salt OR Margarita salt OR table salt (smaller grains, use half as much; doesn't cling as well to food; iodized salt can cause pickles to cloud.)

CharlieD

Interestingly, the name kosher salt is used in the USA, how ever it is not used in many other countries. There it is simply caled coarse salt. The table salt, the fine grind kind could be iodised or not. As far as for salt being kosher, unless you add some pork in it it is very much kosher by it self. I like to use it for cooking and table salt I like to use it for table serving.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Perhaps, but even Morton says not to use their Kosher salt in baking (although I believe there is such a thing as fine kosher salt). This is from their FAQ page -- check out the Salt Guide, too:
8) When should I use Kosher Salt?

You may use Coarse Kosher Salt in place of table salt in recipes. Morton® Coarse Kosher Salt may be used whenever a coarse flake salt is desired, such as garnishing the rim of margarita glasses; as a topping for bread, rolls, bagels and soft pretzels; or for brining meat and poultry. Morton® Coarse Kosher Salt may also be used to kosher meat and poultry, and in cooking where salt is used to encrust meat, fish or chicken. We do not recommend using Morton® Coarse Kosher Salt in baking recipes, unless used as a topping, where a coarse salt would be desired. For more suggested uses click here for the Morton Salt Guide.​

Thanks for all of your research. When Peter Reinhart the bread guru tells me to stop using Kosher salt and takes it out of his bread books, then perhaps I'll consider it. As long as my bread comes out delicious with Kosher salt, I will continue using it. It's a personal preference.

I'm not disputing your research or being arrogant (well, maybe just a little bit when it comes to my bread baking), but it's just an opinion of Morton Salt. There are respected bread bakers who use Kosher salt with great success, and I have studied and baked many of their recipes with success as well. You'll just have to trust me when I tell you that my Kosher salt dissolves adequately with 66-75% hydration over a minimum 2 hour period. We could debate flour as well. There are people who will only use King Arthur flour at $4.50 per 5# bag, and I have had wonderful success using Gold Medal Bread Flour at $2.58 per 5# bag. It's personal preference, and both bakers can make absolutely great bread with their choice of flour.

Peace!

Last edited:

FryBoy

Well, actually, at page 28 of The Bread Baker's Apprentice, Reinhart says this:

"Salt is always a tricky ingredient because various brands and types weigh out differently. Some salt is coarser than other salt or, as in kosher salt, the crystals are hollow and very light. For the purposes of this book, I have used table salt as the benchmark because everyone has it on hand. . . . This is what I use in the formulas."

He goes on to say you can use other types, including kosher, of course, but that you'll have to go back to the substitution table to figure out how much of those salts to use for a given recipe.

In any case, I've seen pictures of your bread, and I have no doubt that it's every bit as good as it looks, even if you use old road salt that you've scraped off your frozen highways!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
In any case, I've seen pictures of your bread, and I have no doubt that it's every bit as good as it looks, even if you use old road salt that you've scraped off your frozen highways!
Not so fast, FryBoy. I agree that JoeV's bread looks incredible, but how does it taste??? In the interest of putting this salt thing to the test, I volunteer to actually eat Joe's bread. A lot of it. Joe, I am PMing you my address.:biggrin:

FryBoy

Not so fast, FryBoy. I agree that JoeV's bread looks incredible, but how does it taste??? In the interest of putting this salt thing to the test, I volunteer to actually eat Joe's bread. A lot of it. Joe, I am PMing you my address.:biggrin:
Good point! Joe, please overnight a couple of your best loaves to Terry and me.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
If I'm not mistaken Warren also uses kosher salt in his bread too. He is also a hell of a baker and cook. I use kosher salt or sea salt in my cooked foods and my wife needs iodized in her diet due to thyroid problems so she adds a bit to cooked dishes only.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
If I'm not mistaken Warren also uses kosher salt in his bread too. He is also a hell of a baker and cook. I use kosher salt or sea salt in my cooked foods and my wife needs iodized in her diet due to thyroid problems so she adds a bit to cooked dishes only.
Then Warren better send FryBoy and me some bread, too. In the interest of being thorough, of course. (I've seen Warren's amazing kitchen and equipment - I'll bet he bakes a mean loaf of bread, too!)

FryBoy

I just don't see any particular reason to use it -- or to avoid it if you know how it converts. As I think you pointed out early in this thread, salt is salt, and the main difference is texture -- which hardly matters in most recipes.