Easter Sunday 4/8/2012 What will be on the table?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Happy Easter to all who observe.

We will be having turkey dinner.

We had Easter meat pie for breakfast

Easter Meat pie

040812_meat_pie_P1090457.jpg

040812_meat_pie_slice_P1090459.jpg

What will be on your menu today?

Unfortunately, I've been sick since Thursday, so although I had a wonderful roast duck dinner planned, it went by the wayside. Didn't want to thaw out the duck only to find I had no desire to either cook it or eat it.

Feeling better today, so we're most likely going to have what my husband has jokingly named: "The Traditional Easter Chicken Wings Dinner". Lol! Market had a big sale on chicken wings, so have a big package in the fridge that I'll roast up, spiced a bit less fiery than usual.

chilefarmer

Dinner for us will be. Rolled grape leaves, Syrian kibbeh, glazed ham, potato salad,fresh fruit bowl and Easter pineapple cake for desert. CF

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Peep, if you haven't posted that recipe for that incredible pie yet, please do!!

Breezy, I hope you feel better! Chicken wings sound excellent to me!

CF, I like the sounds of your eclectic dinner, too!

For the past several years, my wonderful friend, Kathy, has helped me bring a (sorta) traditional Polish Easter dinner to my mother and aunt in a nursing home. We reserved a conference room for our party.

We had ham, two kinds of kielbasa, hard-boiled eggs with horseradish, asparagus, babka (a sweet, yellow raisin bread) and cranberry juice with selzer. Dessert was a storebought carrot cake roll (delicious, I must say!).

They had little Easter baskets and gifts and cards, and all the decorations. Kathy brought her radio and tuned in to a REAL oldies station. My mother, who can't remember what she ate 5 minutes before, knew and sang all the words to the songs!

They, and we, had a grand time!

Lee

Attachments

• Mom and Mick at Easter dinner, 2012.JPG
    Mom and Mick at Easter dinner, 2012.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 144
  • Mom, Mick and Kathy, Easter dinner, 2012.JPG
    Mom, Mick and Kathy, Easter dinner, 2012.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 145

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Peep, if you haven't posted that recipe for that incredible pie yet, please do!!

For the past several years, my wonderful friend, Kathy, has helped me bring a (sorta) traditional Polish Easter dinner to my mother and aunt in a nursing home. We reserved a conference room for our party.

We had ham, two kinds of kielbasa, hard-boiled eggs with horseradish, asparagus, babka (a sweet, yellow raisin bread) and cranberry juice with selzer. Dessert was a storebought carrot cake roll (delicious, I must say!).

They had little Easter baskets and gifts and cards, and all the decorations. Kathy brought her radio and tuned in to a REAL oldies station. My mother, who can't remember what she ate 5 minutes before, knew and sang all the words to the songs!

Lee
Thank you Lee but out of respect for my mom I have never posted her recipe. She never gave it to anyone but me (not even her sisters). The last time I helped her I asked if she would let me write a list of ingredients and some basic instructions. So please don't be offended if I say I really don't feel comfortable posting the recipe at this time. Maybe in the future.

It looks and sounds like you had a wonderful holiday. Memories to cherish

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Easter Dinner was roast turkey, stuffing, mashed jacket red potatoes (with butter, sour cream and fresh chives), microwave steamed fresh asparagus (with melted butter and fresh grated romano and parmesan cheeses), sautéed mushroom caps, jellied cranberry sauce and pan gravy.

040812_easter_dinner_P1090468.jpg

chilefarmer

OK,Peep I must comment on the breakfast pie. I have never made one or ate one. But I surly would. I to would like to know how its made. I respect your Mom's wishes, but will be waiting and drooling. looks so good.
How in the world could you cook a great turkey dinner, after eating that breakfast pie. You have way more energy than I do.

Breezy, nothing wrong with chicken wings. We just never cook enough. Spicy but not painful, just my style.

Lee, looking like a great get together. The bread sure looks good. Must look that one up. I like bread, and sweet bread is best. My mother in law also has trouble remembering who we are. She can never remember what my name is, she just calls me him. She is 94.

Wishing all a fine day. CF:flowers:

Leni

Not much going on here. DH has decided that he wants grilled hamburgers for dinner tonight.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
OK,Peep I must comment on the breakfast pie. I have never made one or ate one. But I surly would. I to would like to know how its made. I respect your Mom's wishes, but will be waiting and drooling. looks so good.
How in the world could you cook a great turkey dinner, after eating that breakfast pie. You have way more energy than I do.

Breezy, nothing wrong with chicken wings. We just never cook enough. Spicy but not painful, just my style.

Lee, looking like a great get together. The bread sure looks good. Must look that one up. I like bread, and sweet bread is best. My mother in law also has trouble remembering who we are. She can never remember what my name is, she just calls me him. She is 94.

Wishing all a fine day. CF:flowers:
Thank you so much.

Breakfast was at 8AM and I don't slice the meat pie (Pizzagaina) in wedges. I slice the pie in half then make straight slices across the width. I had 2 of the small slices on one side. I had plenty of time between breakfast and lunch/dinner.

The turkey was only 15 lbs. I put soft butter with fresh herbs under and over the skin. Fresh herbs, celery, carrot, onion and parsley stems in the cavity. I put small amount of chicken stock in pan, turkey on a rack. Foil covered pan and in oven on 425F bake for 1 hour. After 1 hour took foil off and put the oven on CONVECTION roast 425F for another 45 minutes. It was cooked in 1 hour 45 minutes and rested while I put last touches on the sides (steamed the asparagus, put the stuffing together and mashed the taters) and made the gravy. I put the turkey in at 1:30PM and we were sat down to eat at 4PM. Dessert will be around 6:30PM. it was my lunch/mid day meal. I will have a sandwich or a little turky later.

Embryodad

Happy Easter to all who observe.

We will be having turkey dinner.

We had Easter meat pie for breakfast

Easter Meat pie

What will be on your menu today?

Pie looks Great Peep! ... I could live on it forever! hahahaha

Unfortunately, I've been sick since Thursday, so although I had a wonderful roast duck dinner planned, it went by the wayside. Didn't want to thaw out the duck only to find I had no desire to either cook it or eat it.

Feeling better today, so we're most likely going to have what my husband has jokingly named: "The Traditional Easter Chicken Wings Dinner". Lol! Market had a big sale on chicken wings, so have a big package in the fridge that I'll roast up, spiced a bit less fiery than usual.

Feel better B Cooking

Dinner for us will be. Rolled grape leaves, Syrian kibbeh, glazed ham, potato salad,fresh fruit bowl and Easter pineapple cake for desert. CF

cfarmer...I love Grape leaves.

Lee

Great pics QSis

Looks like everyone had a great time!

Easter Dinner was roast turkey, stuffing, mashed jacket red potatoes (with butter, sour cream and fresh chives), microwave steamed fresh asparagus (with melted butter and fresh grated romano and parmesan cheeses), sautéed mushroom caps, jellied cranberry sauce and pan gravy.

040812_easter_dinner_P1090468.jpg

Thank you so much.

Breakfast was at 8AM and I don't slice the meat pie (Pizzagaina) in wedges. I slice the pie in half then make straight slices across the width. I had 2 of the small slices on one side. I had plenty of time between breakfast and lunch/dinner.

The turkey was only 15 lbs. I put soft butter with fresh herbs under and over the skin. Fresh herbs, celery, carrot, onion and parsley stems in the cavity. I put small amount of chicken stock in pan, turkey on a rack. Foil covered pan and in oven on 425F bake for 1 hour. After 1 hour took foil off and put the oven on CONVECTION roast 425F for another 45 minutes. It was cooked in 1 hour 45 minutes and rested while I put last touches on the sides (steamed the asparagus, put the stuffing together and mashed the taters) and made the gravy. I put the turkey in at 1:30PM and we were sat down to eat at 4PM. Dessert will be around 6:30PM. it was my lunch/mid day meal. I will have a sandwich or a little turky later.

Surely looks great peep!.. 15 Lb. Turkey is the perfect size as far as I'm concerned. Must have been tasty too!!:D :a1:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Pie looks Great Peep! ... I could live on it forever! hahahaha

Feel better B Cooking

cfarmer...I love Grape leaves.

Great pics QSis

Looks like everyone had a great time!

Surely looks great peep!.. 15 Lb. Turkey is the perfect size as far as I'm concerned. Must have been tasty too!!:D :a1:
Thank you Jimmy. It was wonderful and cooked so quick with the convection roast.

Embryodad

Way Way Way..Too Much Food!

Had total of 14 of us...and thankfully the serving time and plating and on the table was perfectly orchestrated and on time. All food was hot when served. That doesn't happen all the time, but DD helped me, and even DW did a great pitch in.

DIL did all the veggies at home, and we just heated them to serving temperature in the oven.

The desserts were delicious.

Turkey, ham, lamb, and lasagna were the main hit.
Lasagna.... I forgot to photo it.

028952d5.jpg

5ce0e0de.jpg

96fc3fe5.jpg

d0412a3f.jpg

ff0619f2.jpg

88d5bde1.jpg

2d057e19.jpg

1040c491.jpg

c4e3b955.jpg

6a4bed84.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Holy moly, Embryodad!!!

GOT DESSERT??

LOL!

It all looks wonderful!

Lee

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
A fillet, broccoli, potatoes, and The Masters in 3D. What could be better?

Attachments

• IMG_1361.jpg
    IMG_1361.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 110

Embryodad

A fillet, broccoli, potatoes, and The Masters in 3D. What could be better?
Looks great..and so does the environment!

When you cut and fork the food....do you hold it up and go....Errrrrrrrrrrrrr..and pretend the food is flying into the Cave? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ....

chilefarmer

Holy moly, Embryodad!!!

My thoughts exactly. What a meal. I am sure that it was enjoyed by all. Somehow I can just tell. CF:)

Embryodad

Holy moly, Embryodad!!!

My thoughts exactly. What a meal. I am sure that it was enjoyed by all. Somehow I can just tell. CF:)
c f ... it's a good thing we can just throw out leftovers to the many different animals when they get stuck in the reefer for over 5 day's

...The meats / etc. will all get used..but like the veggies ?? ... One could only eat so much bean & mushroom soup casserole with crunchy onions on top. Blahhh!

GotGarlic

Some friends invited us for the Easter meal and put on quite a spread: glazed ham, smoked chicken, green bean casserole, corn pudding, baked sweet potatoes with marshmallows, scalloped potatoes, and Hawaiian rolls. The dessert was spectacular - a carrot cake in the shape of a bunny surrounded by green-colored coconut flakes for "grass" and M&Ms standing in for colored eggs, with a delicious cream cheese frosting.

Embryodad

Some friends invited us for the Easter meal and put on quite a spread: glazed ham, smoked chicken, green bean casserole, corn pudding, baked sweet potatoes with marshmallows, scalloped potatoes, and Hawaiian rolls. The dessert was spectacular - a carrot cake in the shape of a bunny surrounded by green-colored coconut flakes for "grass" and M&Ms standing in for colored eggs, with a delicious cream cheese frosting.
Sounds Good G G ...

Those Hawaiian rolls are great. DD brought one over the other day. They have like a little sweet to them on the outside of the roll. I / we like that!

Years ago...at least in my observing as a kid and young man...they never had cream cheese icing / frosting that I know of.
Usually cream cheese was to make cheese cake...or for cream cheese and jelly sandwiches.