Pizza on the Charcoal Grill

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
For dinner tonight, we had pizza on the grill. We make it often and really like it.

This one has Black beans (one can), chopped Garlic (4 or 5 cloves), A bunch of chopped scallions, two diced small plumb tomatoes, sliced black olives, a brick of Monterrey Jack cheese, 2 Tbsp chopped Jalopinos, 1 Tbsp Emeris's Essence (I make my own) and a quarter tsp of salt.

Ingredients.jpg

Chop the tomato and garlic small (1/4") put in a bowl. Slice the scallions thin and put in the bowl. Rinse the black beans and add them. Chop the roasted peppers and Jalopinos finely and add them. Add the salt and Emeril's. Mix it all together.

Take the dough and spread it out thin, very thin. After the coals are very hot and the grill is thoroughly warmed. put the dough right on the grill. If you keep your grill shiny clean, brush it with Olive oil first.

Dough_on_Grill.jpg

Close the cover on the grill and leave it for a few minutes, maybe 5 or so. Open the cover and break any bubbles in the dough. Rotate the dough. You are looking for the bottom to a bit browned and dry, not burnt.

Bubbles_up.jpg

Take the dough off, flip it over and put it on something that you can work on and slide the pizza back in. I use a jar of store bought pizza sauce and put it on the dough. Then spread the topping then sprinkle the cheese.

Put_on_sauce.jpg

Ready_to_bake'.jpg

Slide it all back on the grill, close the cover and cook till the cheese melts. You may have to turn the pizza to get it evenly cooked.

Eat_by_the_pond.jpg

Yup_ready to_eat.jpg

Yummy next to the Koi pond with an adult beverage.

Embryodad

Oboy!.... Looks great, and what an appetite that waterfall sound must generate.

I get very hungry listening to water. Better yet when something like that pizza is cooking away in the grill! UMmmmmmmm!!!

Squirrel

Mess Cook
Site Supporter
Way to rock a pie big mac daddy! Love the pond too. I used to build those in my younger days. Dropped both ovaries lifting those stones though.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Pizza looks great, Andy!

You and your DW have lovely yard!

Lee

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
This is something I have always LOVED to do, and makes me miss not having a dedicated yard at my new condo.

I like the whole wheat dough, where did ya score that at?

If you don't mind me sharing a recipe, one of the biggest(most popular) requests was a shrimp pizza I would do.

Dough, par cooked, like yours, a skim coat of house made BBQ sauce(a little more smokey than sweet), shredded fontina, crispy bacon, caramelized onion, Raw shrimp(I prefer just halfing then, length wise), some shredded gouda, back onto the fire and crack an egg right in the middle. Cook until the edges are crisp, and don't be afraid of a couple black, bubbly spots. Garnish was just chopped green onions, and crispy fried garlic chips.

I had picked up the egg on the pizza from an Aussie pay of mine, and I tend to do it that way now whenever I am making pie at home. SO good!

That whole same topping assortment works well with smoked duck breast slices, roast pork, pulled pork, have even done it with salmon. . .it's just a rich, "Meaty" tasting combo that I love as a base when doing anything over charcoal. The flavors just meld together so nicely, imo.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Uncle Ralph - The local grocery store has it all made up in one pizza bags. Thank you for the recipe. I am thinking about the egg, leaning toward trying it.

For those that asked about the pond - Yes, we built it all. I used a small rototiller to churn up about 6" of soil at a time then clear it out with a shovel and repeat. The deep end by the falls is 3 1/2' to 4' the sides are about a foot and a half. The center is 8" to a foot. it was done that way. because. Raccoon and other critters will not go in the pond to eat the fish if they cannot touch bottom. The Arborvitae surround is so that herons do not have enough room to swoop.

There are nine fish in the pond now. Koi, Shebunkins and Sarassa Comet. I lost my tow biggest and favorite Koi this spring. Three of them were born there. We "may" be going to have another litter, we'll see. We trucked in 3,500# of stone for the falls. DW laid the stone for the falls and I did all the pumps, plumbing and electrical work.

The fish winter over in the pond. They hibernate (sort of) at fifty five degrees. As long as there is a hole someplace in the ice to off gas, they are fine.

Thank you all for the compliments on the Pizza and the pond.