Saturday 12/3/2011 What's on the menu today?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
IF there is any lasagna left after lunch (hub wants some) that will be dinner with steamed broccoli or if there isn't enough left it will be broccoli aglio olio and garlic bread with either.

Any plans?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
The SEC championship is on at 4 so dinner will be finger food. I'm going to make some dinner rolls to use for hamburger/cheeseburger sliders, wings, shoestring fries and veggies with dip.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
The SEC championship is on at 4 so dinner will be finger food. I'm going to make some dinner rolls to use for hamburger/cheeseburger sliders, wings, shoestring fries and veggies with dip.
OH YUM!!

Leni

I'm going to make stuffed cabbage the way my MIL did. She'd stuff the rolls and then top with kielbasa, saurkraut, tomatoes and tomato sauce.

Embryodad

Mama....Just make sure there is enough finger food...for Each Finger
If it were me...and Toes Too! ..L O L ...

Embryodad

I'm going to make stuffed cabbage the way my MIL did. She'd stuff the rolls and then top with kielbasa, saurkraut, tomatoes and tomato sauce.
Sounds good Leni..

That's the way Tinas Gram used to make it.
There also was a way that she would not use tomatoes at all.
T is not here to ask..but T likes tomato sauce on hers.

Embryodad

OK...Jimmy Boy took a trip to visit the freezer downstairs..and came up with..

Corned beef...and two small cabbages. It is in the pot now with the bay leaf and garlic and peppercorns cooking and making the house smell delicious.

Mommy came home for a pit stop while shopping, and brought me a Roast beef on a roll sammie. Yum..I mayo'd it and ate every choice morsel of it.

Mr. Green Jeans

We just cut the Christmas tree a 12'er but by the time the trunk get cleaned for the stand and the leader tipped it will be more like 10'. Since that will occupy most of my time; beer butt chicken and baked sweet potatoes with a spring green salad. A second trip to town for more lights may be in order LOL!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Meat lasagna and garlic bread

120311_lasagna_garlic_bread.jpg

I'm almost ashamed (but not quite - lol!) to admit that we dined out again today for the 3rd day in a row. Enjoyed the Middleburg Hunt Parade this morning followed by an early lunch at our favorite Middleburg bistro (The Back Street Cafe). I enjoyed the same meal I've been enjoying here since 1994 - their fabulous Tomato Basil Soup, followed by their equally fabulous "Crab & Artichoke Crostini" with a green salad on the side. Hubby enjoyed their Smoked Turkey Panini with Arugula Mayonnaise, & exclaimed it delicious as well.

Since we had such a large & delicious lunch, we'll just be enjoying some snacks tonight. Some sauteed frozen Potato & 5-Cheese pierogi's with melted butter & sour cream, & some cheese & crackers.

Three days in a row of dining out. I may just have to cook tomorrow. :)

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i'm not cooking as my phone rang day & nite, nite & day- i'll likely head somewhere on this block for bar food. i hafta decorate, & i don't much mind if the veal expires. i'll buy another package of it if need be

GotGarlic

We're baking up the second pan of lasagna from DH's birthday (I make a full recipe, bake half for his BD dinner and freeze half for later) and will have that with seasoned steamed green beans and garlic bread.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Sounds like there's a lot of lasagna going on tonight :lol:

Looks good Peepers!

Sorry to hear about all of the phone calls luvs. That can get really aggravating at times.

No shame in taking a break from cooking Breezy. I've been known to do it myself a time or two :wink:

Here's our wings, hamburger sliders, french fries and veggies

Attachments

• dinner12-03-2011 (640x480).jpg
    dinner12-03-2011 (640x480).jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 97

Embryodad

OK...

Here it is...

Corned Beef & Cabbage...plus potatoes.

DW wanted me to show her frosty the snow man dish waving between the corned beef.. Ha Ha Ha
And me.....I won't eat on those square dishes. they are too thick, and suck the heat right out of the food....

98642750.jpg

b2ea5913.jpg

b2ea5913.jpg

d3d9f068.jpg

c290f8bb.jpg

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Okay....I'm cooking tonight! As an homage to this magnificent city I live in, and to acknowledge how good it felt to come back after visiting my kids back in NJ....
I'm making barbecued shrimp, using a close rendition of John Besh's recipe. I'm also making chicken etouffe with white rice and steamed green beans.

I have completely thrown caution to the wind...we have a sara lee pound cake (Lou's favourite, next to homemade, of course) with Blue Bell ( a magnificent local homemade brand) ice cream!

Drinking sazeracs now...still don't know what the wine is.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Looks so good peep. wow!... Nice and colorful sauce.
Thank you Jimmy.
Sounds like there's a lot of lasagna going on tonight :lol:

Looks good Peepers!

Sorry to hear about all of the phone calls luvs. That can get really aggravating at times.

No shame in taking a break from cooking Breezy. I've been known to do it myself a time or two :wink:

Here's our wings, hamburger sliders, french fries and veggies
Thank you Mama. Your dinner looks so good. I like how you have it all set up in the divided dish.
OK...

Here it is...

Corned Beef & Cabbage...plus potatoes.

DW wanted me to show her frosty the snow man dish waving between the corned beef.. Ha Ha Ha
And me.....I won't eat on those square dishes. they are too thick, and suck the heat right out of the food....

98642750.jpg

b2ea5913.jpg

b2ea5913.jpg

d3d9f068.jpg

c290f8bb.jpg
Jimmy you're killing me!! YUMMY I LOVE corned beef, cabbage and potatoes!! Man I don't have any left in my freezer and the cost way to much at this time of year. :sad:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Oh YUM Jimmy! That looks wonderful!

Glad you made it back home safely Vera! There really is no place like home!

Nancy-MD

Great sounding and looking meals!

Mama, what a yummy assortment! Your rolls look so good, I think I'd grab the butter first!

Peep, I'd love to sample your lasagna.

Jimmy, corned beef and cabbage is such a cold weather dish. Comfort food for sure. Looks good.

I made chicken fingers with ranch dip, creamy parmesan noodles and green beans.

Attachments

• 12.3.11 chicken fingers.jpg
    12.3.11 chicken fingers.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 98

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Great sounding and looking meals!

Mama, what a yummy assortment! Your rolls look so good, I think I'd grab the butter first!

Peep, I'd love to sample your lasagna.

Jimmy, corned beef and cabbage is such a cold weather dish. Comfort food for sure. Looks good.

I made chicken fingers with ranch dip, creamy parmesan noodles and green beans.
Thank you Nan. I would love some of your chicken and those nice creamy noodles.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
thank you, mama. it kept me from snoozing & i can't turn it completely off in case it's someone i wanna speak to.
that aside, magnificant meals! the corned beef, wow!

Leni

Peeps why don't you make your own corned beef? I've got a good recipe if you want one courtesy of a friend who has a radio show about cooking here in LA.

Leni

I've tried various ways to copy/paste her recipe here but nothing works. Just go to www.melindalee.com and click on recipe archives. In the search box enter corned beef from scratch. I've made this recipe a couple of times. In fact I think I'm going to make another one very soon. Embryodads pictures have inspired me. Great for sandwiches also.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I've tried various ways to copy/paste her recipe here but nothing works. Just go to www.melindalee.com and click on recipe archives. In the search box enter corned beef from scratch. I've made this recipe a couple of times. In fact I think I'm going to make another one very soon. Embryodads pictures have inspired me. Great for sandwiches also.
Thank you Leni!!
Here is the recipe for anyone who is interested.

CORNED BEEF FROM SCRATCH

Including: Cooking Prepared Corned Beef

Here’s the scoop for making corned beef yourself. (It’s easy, but it must “cure” in the refrigerator for several days, so you’ll want to start soon.) This version will surely taste better than the store-bought kind, but, unless you use the optional “salt peter” (see below) it won’t be that bright red color that you find in the supermarket kind. You may adjust the seasonings (except for the proportion of salt, since that is essential to the “cure”) to suit your personal taste preferences, although, if you’ve never made this before, I suggest you try the recipe as written, then make changes in future versions.

The most common cut of meat for corned beef is a boneless beef brisket, which is divided into two pieces, and sold two ways: the first or “flat” cut, and the “point” cut which is fattier and tastier, as well as more tender. If you decide on the point cut, you may have to ask for it – these days the leanest cuts are the ones most commonly displayed. Eye roasts and round roasts are also corned - but the result is dryer and less tender, more like the flat-cut brisket. These leaner meat cuts slice the most neatly, though - so take your choice.

For a 4-6-pound beef brisket or other cut (as above)

1/2 cup, kosher (coarse-grain) salt
1 tablespoon, black peppercorns - coarsely cracked
1 tablespoon, brown sugar
3/4 tablespoon, ground allspice
1 tablespoon, dried thyme
1/2 tablespoon, paprika
2 bay leaves - crumbled
3 cloves, garlic - minced
optional (for red color): 1 tablespoon, sodium nitrite* - dissolved
in 1/2 cup, warm water. [*sold in pharmacies or order from butcher shops]

[Vegetables, as desired to serve with corned beef – see last paragraph]

Mix kosher salt with all other seasonings (but not saltpeter) in a small bowl. Pierce the brisket several times on each side with a skewer or heavy fork. (NOTE: this piercing step may be eliminated if meat is cured for 10-14 days, instead of 5-7 days, before rinsing and cooking.)

Rub both sides of meat evenly with salt/spice mixture. Place meat in heavy, 2-gallon size plastic zipper-lock bag, squeezing out as much air as possible before closing bag. [Pour over dissolved saltpeter in water, if using, before sealing bag.] Place bag with meat in a pan large enough to hold it, cover with another pan of similar size, and weight the top pan with two bricks, or with two heavy cans from the pantry.

Refrigerate for 5-7 days, turning bag once each day.

When ready to cook, remove corned beef from bag, and rinse the meat thoroughly under cold running water, to remove excess salt, and large spice pieces. Place the rinsed corned beef in a large, heavy pot, adding cold water to cover the meat by one inch, and bring water to a boil, skimming off any scum that rises to the surface. When water begins to boil, immediately lower the heat, and cover the pot, carefully checking frequently to be sure that the water only simmers (and never boils - which will toughen the meat). Simmer for about 3 hours, or until a skewer, inserted in the thickest part of the meat, slides out easily. [An instant read thermometer, inserted in the deepest part of the brisket at its center, will read 200-210 degrees, when the tough connective tissue has entirely gelatinized.] Allow the meat to cool in its liquid for at least 20 minutes. Flavor and texture get better as time goes by - making this a day in advance (refrigerate after cooling) works beautifully,

*COOK'S NOTE: If vegetables are to be added, remove the meat to a baking pan, ladle some broth over it, and cover the pan, keeping it warm in a very low oven, while cooking vegetables in the remaining broth in the pot. Simmer carrots, potatoes, onions and other firm vegetables (cut into pieces, as desired) for 10 minutes in the broth, then add cabbage (cut in wedges) and continue to simmer until all vegetables are tender (about another 10 minutes). Slice the corned beef and serve on a platter, surrounded with the vegetables.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU DID THAT.
UMMMMMMMMMMMM I did it 2 ways and deleted one.

1. I highlighted it and sent it to my OneNote software. I use this most often for coping because it sends it to OneNote with a track back link. You can see it at the bottom of the above post. I love this feature because I can always go back to the original site. >>> Inserted from <http://www.melindalee.com/index.php?option=com_garyscookbook&Itemid=6&func=d etail&id=354>
  2. I highlighted the text and did ctrl+c then came here and did ctrl+v. I deleted the second one.