More coffee please
Super Site Supporter
1 box vanilla wafers - crumbled fine
1/2 c. chopped pecans - finely chopped
1 c. powdered sugar
1 1/2 T. cocoa
3 T. white karo syrup
6 T. bourbon

Mix all ingredients. Roll into balls - any size - roll in additional powdered sugar and place in an air tight container. Let it ripen for approximately 2 weeks.
HINT: As you are rolling the balls your hands will get extremely sticky. My tip is to roll 3-4 at a time, rinse your hands and continue.
Second HINT: We like to use the typical bartender method when measuring out the bourbon. If you've ever seen a bartender measure the spirits in your glass you know that they let it flow over the top just a bit. If you are willing to try it, go for it!
Enjoy!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
ummmm. Let me say these are very good. I requested that Abby post that recipe here. I helped her make some for the holidays last weekend. We always bring them into work and share with a few special coworkers.
While these do have a unique aroma they will not make you drunk or even tipsy. Don't ask me how I know. :D
Thanks Abby!!!!!!!!! :thumb: :D

KKsMom

Blond Member
Even though they won't make you tipsy, they WILL warm your insides. They are very, very good :D

rlk

Are you sure the ingredients shown above are correct? Looks to me like with a whole box of vanilla wafers; a cup of powdered sugar; and only 3t of syrup and 6 t of burbon the recipe would be very dry and not have enough moisture to be able to roll into balls.

Bob

rlk

Thanks Jim.

Maybe this is why men don't belong in the kitchen. My wife pointed out to me that T means tablespoon. I thought T meant teaspoon and TB meant table spoon. She set me straight that t means teaspoon; T or TB means tablespoon.

Can't wait to try this recipe.

Bob

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
oops!

Just realized that you are new to the Cooking Forum.

WELCOME ABOARD!

(you are the rlk from FF I assume?)

rlk

I made these bourbon balls this afternoon. They are great, but there ain't no way I'll let them sit for 2 weeks to ripen.

Thanks for the recipe.

Bob

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We just got ours out this week. Boy did they ever ripen. :yum: :thumb:

rlk

I made another batch today because the ones I made yesterday are almost gone.

My wife thought the ones yesterday had a little too much bourbon, so I experimented today. I divided the dry mixture in half and used rum rather than bourbon in half the mixture, and Godiva chocolate liquor in the other half. I also doubled the amount of cocoa.

The wife really likes the rum instead of the bourbon since it does not smell as potent. She has not tried the ones with the chocolate liquor yet, but I suspect they will be her favorite since she likes anything chocolate.

I guess you can call one of today's batches rum balls, but don't know what to call the ones with the chocolate liquor: chocolate balls; Godiva balls; liquor balls; chocolate liquor balls; ????

Again, thanks Abby for the recipe.

Bob

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That's great Bob. :thumb: Good ideas. I have ours with me at the office today and passing them out. I bet rum balls would be more popular ....and like you said, the chocolate liquor would be the most popular for sure. I wonder if the chocolate liquor is the same alchohol content? I would guess it's a little less. No matter you are never going to get a 'buzz' on these, they just taste good and make you feel like you are ornery or being a little bad er ....festive. Yeah, that's a better word. :D

Thanks for sharing your mods to the recipe. I think we'll have to try em your way. :thumb: :D

rlk

The Godiva chocolate liquor is 15% alcohol.

Just sampled all three that I made yesterday. All are great, but I suspect the females will like chocolate best, leaving the rum and bourbon for the rest of us. I'm sure I'll get some feedback tomorrow.

Bob